Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Point

Djking55

Do you all tow a surfer/wakeboarder from above or below the bimini? It looks like the rope would rub against the top of the bimini pretty good. We have a 2013 VLX.

Edited by Djking55

I don't have that problem, my bimini is a little lower on my '03, but if it rubs, just run it from the back ski pylon, you don't need the height like you do with wakeboarding.

For wakeboarding, you should always be above the bimini with a G3 tower. For surfing, you might want to be towing from the ski pylon instead of the tower. On my Illusion X tower, with the extended bimini, the surf rope will rub on the back of the bimini while getting up and for those that can't throw the rope surfing. When we surf with the bimini up, we just tow from the ski pylon.

Edited by jtrovato

For wakeboarding, you should always be above the bimini with a G3 tower. For surfing, you might want to be towing from the ski pylon instead of the tower. On my Illusion X tower, with the extended bimini, the surf rope will rub on the back of the bimini while getting up and for those that can't throw the rope surfing. When we surf with the bimini up, we just tow from the ski pylon.

My wife is only a hundred pounds and cannot get the leverage to stand on the surfboard when we tried from the ski pylon. It had to be moved to the tower. In fact I dont think Ive ever seen anyone towing a surfer from the ski pylon whose boat had a tower.

My wife is only a hundred pounds and cannot get the leverage to stand on the surfboard when we tried from the ski pylon. It had to be moved to the tower. In fact I dont think Ive ever seen anyone towing a surfer from the ski pylon whose boat had a tower.

I have an extended length bimini from towerbiminis.com so maybe I'm having more rope interference than most. We've done it before, I just didn't want to risk that big thick surf rope rubbing along the edge of the bimini as someone is getting pulled up. Haven't noticed anyone having trouble getting pulled up from the pylon yet, but I can see where a smaller person might have a hard time without the leverage of the higher tow point.