Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter failed 4 out of last 5 years

I recently bought a 2000 Sunsetter LSV (so I'm new to the Crew), and the starter just failed. As I looked back through the maintenance records from the previous owner, I found that the starter was replaced in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

A guy at a local shop suggested that due to the placement of the starter and generally low ventilation in v-drives that they fail more often.

Have others experienced frequent starter failures... or is there another root cause that I should be looking for?

Thanks!

They are either replacing it with cheap starters OR you have too much water rolling around and possibly sitting in the bilge when the boat is not being used. If the boat is on a trailer when not in use, pull the center plug and drain the bilge. If it's in the lake for a long period of time check and adjust your shaft packing to make sure your not getting much of a drip. Also check to automatic function on the bilge pump.

• Like 2

I agree with the above post. Either the starter is getting soaked, or it is not an OEM starter, or something else is going on. They should last years. Mine was 10 years old when I sold the boat. And I never serviced it. And I submerged it once, about 5 yeard ago....

It seems to me, at least, that starter failures are rarely reported on this site.

Edited by RTS

What failed, just not turning, turning slowly?

might be replacing with rebuilds and not new manuf. Not that I am against rebuilds, but sometimes quality is suspect depending on the shop. I am a big fan of Mallory Marine starters. Used them twice now on two different boats. Never had an issue in the combined 10 years of operation.

I've not really heard of lower circulation in VD's being an issue for starters.

If there is a lot of water in the bildge the fly wheel pushes water into the starter vastly shortning the life. The first responce should allieviate the issue.

What failed, just not turning, turning slowly?

might be replacing with rebuilds and not new manuf. Not that I am against rebuilds, but sometimes quality is suspect depending on the shop. I am a big fan of Mallory Marine starters. Used them twice now on two different boats. Never had an issue in the combined 10 years of operation.

I've not really heard of lower circulation in VD's being an issue for starters.

Im not sure its true either. By looking at my DD and the back of a Vdrive the Vdrive would have more and better ventiliation. Just based on appearance I have no data do back it up.

I've had to have my starter rebuilt last year (original on an 06 monsoon VLX). It was cranking very slowly. I was told it had a bunch of grease/gunk in it. My rebuilt has been great since.

Only 1 failure on any of my 4 boats in the last 10 years and it was on my LSV that was a dealer demo. You could actually see the scum line on the oil pan where the water was over the starter. I guess the booger eaters at the dealership had unhooked the batteries and left the plugs in the boat and the rain water filled the bilge to over the starter.

A marine starter will get wet inside the same as an automotive one. Marine starters are not made to be "water proof". The difference between the marine starter and it's automotive counterpart is........the marine starter has a metal shield that seals of the gear housing from the motor section. This is to inhibit sparks from being emitted and causing an explosion in the event you have fuel vapors in the bilge. If the starter gets submerged........water will find its way in. I've tore down water submerved starters from boats and 4x4s and cleaned them up inside and put them back together and they've worked just fine.

I've owned 3 Malibu's. All 3 had the original starter. I've never had any problems.

First boat had 1000 hours, second boat 350 hours and third boat 400 hours.

A marine starter will get wet inside the same as an automotive one. Marine starters are not made to be "water proof". The difference between the marine starter and it's automotive counterpart is........the marine starter has a metal shield that seals of the gear housing from the motor section. This is to inhibit sparks from being emitted and causing an explosion in the event you have fuel vapors in the bilge. If the starter gets submerged........water will find its way in. I've tore down water submerved starters from boats and 4x4s and cleaned them up inside and put them back together and they've worked just fine.

I agree, just thinking are they a cheep made in China unit?