Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast filling on its own

pawter1970

hi gents,

so my center and right ballasts are still filling when the pumps are off (like a slow trickle of water keeps coming in), I am guessing the water goes through the pumps so housing may have to be replaced? any idea what causes that or anyone has experienced the same issue. I do have an extra pump to replace but would like to avoid cutting the wires.

Agreed I installed them and no more problems.

I also agree I had the same problem bought 3 valves and mounted them to the back side of the back bench seat as high as I could get them no more problems.

I had the same issue with my center tank when I upgraded to Rule 1100 and 1" hose to fill the tank. I just extended the hose under the dash all the way up as high as I could get it. That did the trick without buying the anti syphon vents.

I had the same issue with my center tank when I upgraded to Rule 1100 and 1" hose to fill the tank. I just extended the hose under the dash all the way up as high as I could get it. That did the trick without buying the anti syphon vents.

If you get the loop high enough, you won't need the vented loop antisiphon valve. Why it works for some people and not for others is beyond me.

My experience was that my center tank took 11 minutes to fill because the aerator pump struggles a little with that long run towards the nose, then up under the helm and then back to the tank. I got a Johnson impeller style pump, problem solved! It also fills a lot faster than the Tsunami 1200 pumps that I had on there before.

I swear that my center tank is bigger than most people's. how that could be is beyond me. But now I have a Johnson for a sack that I fill and the sack is 400 pounds, and it takes a good bit longer to fill my center tank with identical pumps. It does not take double time, but I am having a hard time thinking my center tank is 500 pounds. Others do not have that problem with their reversible pump. So don't jump ship on the pump yet. Run the hose as suggested above, then see if your fill time lengthens, like mine was.

Edited by TallRedRider
  • 2 months later...

Hi. I have a 2013 VTX and the centre tank keeps filling by itself. It has been back to the local Malibu dealer 3 times now and they still cant fix it. It now has 2 anti-syphon loops and she still fills to about half full once I start moving. They have now resorted to fitting a manual cut off valve under the floor. I am not too happy about having to lift the floor access lid and turn a handle on and off every time we want to use it.

Has anyone had repeated problems like this? What can be done? Should Malibu replace the whole system (if possible)?

If you get the loop high enough, you won't need the vented loop antisiphon valve. Why it works for some people and not for others is beyond me.

My experience was that my center tank took 11 minutes to fill because the aerator pump struggles a little with that long run towards the nose, then up under the helm and then back to the tank. I got a Johnson impeller style pump, problem solved! It also fills a lot faster than the Tsunami 1200 pumps that I had on there before.

I swear that my center tank is bigger than most people's. how that could be is beyond me. But now I have a Johnson for a sack that I fill and the sack is 400 pounds, and it takes a good bit longer to fill my center tank with identical pumps. It does not take double time, but I am having a hard time thinking my center tank is 500 pounds. Others do not have that problem with their reversible pump. So don't jump ship on the pump yet. Run the hose as suggested above, then see if your fill time lengthens, like mine was.

:plus1: mine takes forever as well, like 10+ minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 2013 VTX and the centre tank keeps filling by itself. It has been back to the local Malibu dealer 3 times now and they still cant fix it. It now has 2 anti-syphon loops and she still fills to about half full once I start moving. They have now resorted to fitting a manual cut off valve under the floor. I am not too happy about having to lift the floor access lid and turn a handle on and off every time we want to use it.

Has anyone had repeated problems like this? What can be done? Should Malibu replace the whole system (if possible)?

I had the same boat this summer. If I played with the ballast while the boat was sitting in the marina the centre tank continued to fill just like yours. As soon as I was underway and drained the tanks, they would seem to seal and the problem would stop. Weird.