Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Toeside Frontside 360

SurfgateBob

Hi guys, I'm trying to do a simple one wake toeside frontside 360. I can go w2w toeside and have the 180s dialed but have lengthened out the rope to max to work on just getting the rotation and trying to then build out the amplitude.

I was passing the handle fine, but every single time I seemed to overrotate. I'm pretty sure I don't need to pass the handle, actually.

I kept over-rotating even on a small one wake 3. I did a little googling, and this video says that most people who pass the handle tend to over-rotate or slip out. Essentially you just drop your forward hand and stick your trail hand on your back hip. Land the 3 wrapped, and ride it out a few feet, then switch hands. I will try it this weekend and see how it goes!

http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/higher-learning-wakeboarding/2010/05/25/how-to-land-a-toeside-360/?fb_action_ids=10102903732169273&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=.Ugg2H2P5m6w.like&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

LOL, and I cant' do the 3 on the surfboard :-) Although with your tips, I'm closer than ever.

It makes a lot of sense, the rotation isn't hard, the landing isn't hard, it's just staying balanced that's hard...

Correct. You do not have to pass the handle for the landing. You can land wrapped or cuffed.

I typically land wrapped then pass the handle a sec or so afterward. If you do pass the handle you have to make sure you leave it in the small of your back. If you move it toward your front hip much it will spin you just enough to over rotate.

IMO this is much harder to learn on one wake...defnitely shorten the rope so you can easily cross the wake on a very mild cut. You do NOT need a bunch of air. The wake REALLY helps the board regain traction in the water. I'd suggest passing handle, but thats just me. By landing cuffed you're going to take a bunch of heel diggers. Passing the handle keeps the rotation moving.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I thought it was a frontside since I rotate towards the boat first? Anyway, here's another video of my progression. I did try to throw it w2w on a shorter rope (not in this video) and I think you're right about the handle pass. I always slip out and end up on my butt!

Edited by SurfgateBob

as to that new attempt the rope is still too long and therefore you're taking too big of a cut. This move literally needs like a foot of air. Shorten then rope up, take a small approach, and keep your hands low and close...your pass and regrab w your right hand were well away form your body which is why you lost your axis. Usually bad axis comes from leaving the wake too early but you did ok on that...stay tall through the trick will help too. Once you land you will start landing 90% of them, then 99%

• Like 1

FS/BS refers to the side of your body you are "spinning into". That is definitely a TS BS 3. No worries though, landing it is more important than the name.

OP is correct, he's going frontside on that trick. He's popping off his toes, and his first 180 is across the front of his body.

TS FS 360.

Edited by Love2Ride

I thought it was a frontside since I rotate towards the boat first? Anyway, here's another video of my progression. I did try to throw it w2w on a shorter rope (not in this video) and I think you're right about the handle pass. I always slip out and end up on my butt!

I'm actually teaching a buddy this trick right now. He has trouble over rotating because he already does TS 540s, which DO require that you pass the handle. I'm trying to break him of the habit and learn to land cuffed or wrapped.

Here's what you do, take a set with no ballast, pull yourself toward the boat and grab the handle with your back hand with the handle behind your back (just as you would be if you landed the trick cuffed). Now ride around, looking away from the boat with your shoulders perpendicular to the back of the boat but with your hips twisted to continue riding straight. Once you get comfortable with this, you're ready to start landing blind tricks.

• Like 1

No. No, it's definitely not.

OP is correct, he's going frontside on that trick. He's popping off his toes, and his first 180 is across the front of his body.

TS FS 360.

guys, you're right! posts edited! Jeez, I knew its been a while since I was riding but wow, rookie erroe there, sorry.

I'm actually teaching a buddy this trick right now. He has trouble over rotating because he already does TS 540s, which DO require that you pass the handle. I'm trying to break him of the habit and learn to land cuffed or wrapped.

Here's what you do, take a set with no ballast, pull yourself toward the boat and grab the handle with your back hand with the handle behind your back (just as you would be if you landed the trick cuffed). Now ride around, looking away from the boat with your shoulders perpendicular to the back of the boat but with your hips twisted to continue riding straight. Once you get comfortable with this, you're ready to start landing blind tricks.

Good advice - I am going to try this next time out. I tried it a little bit, but you're right, it feels really different. I'll probably take the speed down and just get used to it.

as to that new attempt the rope is still too long and therefore you're taking too big of a cut. This move literally needs like a foot of air. Shorten then rope up, take a small approach, and keep your hands low and close...your pass and regrab w your right hand were well away form your body which is why you lost your axis. Usually bad axis comes from leaving the wake too early but you did ok on that...stay tall through the trick will help too. Once you land you will start landing 90% of them, then 99%

I think I was actually trying to not pass the handle there, but you're right about the axis. Have we determined if passing or not passing is the preferred method?

I think I was actually trying to not pass the handle there, but you're right about the axis. Have we determined if passing or not passing is the preferred method?

My vote is to NOT pass the handle. Not until you've landed solidly on the board.

Look at 1:00, 1:28, 1:35 and 2:35 in this video. You can pass the handle, you just have to remain looking away from the boat as you land. As long as your upper body isn't turned, you should be fine.

I tend to land wrapped and pass the handle a second or two later.

http://youtu.be/r3i0k5Tv-4I

By the way, this is some of the most awesome riding I've ever seen, great work. Incredible.

My vote is to NOT pass the handle. Not until you've landed solidly on the board.

Ok, so I seem to always be landing on my off-axis a$$... What can I do to help prevent this? I notice when you land cuffed you are actively leaning forward as much as you can from the hips. Really really leaning.

There's that and you keep the handle really tight to the hip. What should I be doing with the back hand, just pulling it straight to my back hip and then trying to plant it in the small of my back?

Ok, so I seem to always be landing on my off-axis a$$... What can I do to help prevent this? I notice when you land cuffed you are actively leaning forward as much as you can from the hips. Really really leaning.

There's that and you keep the handle really tight to the hip. What should I be doing with the back hand, just pulling it straight to my back hip and then trying to plant it in the small of my back?

A good thing to do is think about grabbing the board with your front hand as you spin. Pop off the wake, start your spin keeping the handle down, tight and moving toward your left hip (I'm pretty sure you were goofy from the video), then reach for the board between your feet as your back rotates towards the boat. This will set you over your toes for the landing. Once you're almost completely rotated, let go of the board and reach for the handle with your right hand, but keep your shoulders facing away from the boat. Lower body should be rotated so you don't catch an edge on the landing, but your upper body should be in the "locked" position for landing blind. Good example is at 1:28, 1:35, and 2:35 in the video I posted.

Good luck man! Post another video here soon so we can see the progress.

• Like 1

A good thing to do is think about grabbing the board with your front hand as you spin. Pop off the wake, start your spin keeping the handle down, tight and moving toward your left hip (I'm pretty sure you were goofy from the video), then reach for the board between your feet as your back rotates towards the boat. This will set you over your toes for the landing. Once you're almost completely rotated, let go of the board and reach for the handle with your right hand, but keep your shoulders facing away from the boat. Lower body should be rotated so you don't catch an edge on the landing, but your upper body should be in the "locked" position for landing blind. Good example is at 1:28, 1:35, and 2:35 in the video I posted.

Good luck man! Post another video here soon so we can see the progress.

In this case though, you're saying to pass the handle but after you land, right?

In this case though, you're saying to pass the handle but after you land, right?

You'll land wrapped, with your shoulders away from the boat, then immediately grab with your other hand, so you'll have both hands on the handle.

Well, wish I could say I got closer, but I really didn't... :-( I did finally land a heelside w2w 180 though - been scared of this one for taking back diggers!

This one is off axis for some reason:

This one pretty much the same:

But, this felt good!