Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rust provention on trailer

Does anyone use anything on their trailer to protect from rust? I have had problems in the past with my leaf springs rusting and around the break and hubs. Not related to salt water, just the rugged life the trailer lives.

Spray it all with fish oil

You can buy in a spray can at most boat shops

Have always used it on trailers in salt water

Very little surface rust after many years of use

thanks,

It's not like I don't believe, but does anyone else do this?

ahopkins22LSV

It's not like I don't believe, but does anyone else do this?

I have never heard of this either but am interested if it works!

I am also very curious about this or any other method people use. We trailer a lot and I want to make sure it stays in good shape.

What about getting some galvanized springs when yours are shot or alternatively can you get your current springs galvanized.

Another product I have used with great success is Penetrol Rust treatment. It penetrates under the rust, seals out poisture and then add a flexible film when dry which can be painted over. CRC Soft Seal also works well and is resistant to salt if that is a problem.

Edited by brad72

Sounds a little fishy to me.
  • 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon geneltmen

Ye have little fath

Like I said I have used fish oil on my trailers for years

Read below a cut and paste from the Internet

Description:

Septone Deodorised Fish Oil is a deodorised, anti rust, corrosion preventative designed to inhibit the formation of rust in internal box sections, door cavities, sills and pillars of motor vehicles, as well as on structural steel, railings, gates, bridges, pontoons and for the protection of welds. Fish Oil has long been considered to be one of the most effective products for rust prevention. Fish Oil penetrates through rust to give the parent metal protection from further rusting. However, note that Fish Oil is not a rust converter. For badly rusted areas, apply a rust converter prior to applying Fish Oil.