Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

She's Naked...

dDubya

nice, any tan lines left behind on the gel coat from the logo?

None at all. After all the sticker was peeled off, I ran a heavy coat of McGuires Cleaner Wax over the boat. No tan lines.

I just bought an '08 and want to remove the wakesetter sticker as well. 2 questions.

1. Did you use any adhesive remover r just yank them off?

2. Has anyone done this with an older boat ('08) and did it leave any faded logo on the boat?

Thanks. The cleaner look works a little better for an old guy like me (50+)

I just bought an '08 and want to remove the wakesetter sticker as well. 2 questions.

1. Did you use any adhesive remover r just yank them off?

2. Has anyone done this with an older boat ('08) and did it leave any faded logo on the boat?

Thanks. The cleaner look works a little better for an old guy like me (50+)

Mine is an 05 & I just did it a couple years ago. So you shouldn't have any problems. Even if you see a little shadow, it can be buffed out with some good wax & an electric buffer.

Besides adhesive remover like Goo Gone or Goof Off (available at any hardware store), another easy way is using heat. While the boat is sitting out in the hot sun on an 80+ or 90+ day, the adhesive will be super soft & they will be easy to peel up. You can also use a heat gun or a hair dryer to do the job. Just keep the thing moving & don't let it sit in one spot & cook it to death. Usually a combination of both methods will work best. Also using a plastic tool like a bondo spreader or vinyl squeegee will help you scrape any stubborn stickers & adhesive up without damaging the gelcoat.

squeegee.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Naked looks nice on solid coloured boats. With multi coloured boats like mine, the decal can be an integral part of the design. I found one advertised without a decal and it just looked like it's missing something.

Notnaked.jpg

Naked.jpg

Only certain gel schemes look good naked. I think the key to go naked is the hull almost completely a solid color. Small accent colors are fine sometimes. The full black hull with a little white looks good!

Edited by Afun