Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to spot a factory refurbished item

Stevo

Anyone have any input on how to spot items that have been factory refurbished ? I am going to take a look at some "new in box" Rev 8'S and an H2 amp. but wanted to make sure these are in fact new and not refurbished.

I had a buddy get screwed on a factory refurb'd rockford amp, it worked for a moth or so and then took a dump. sent it back to rockford and it was outside the date range warranty.

So to actually answer your question. Obviously if the box is really beat up or water damaged that should heighten your awareness. If the speakers have any Knicks, scrapes, fading, etc... Check screws on the speakers and clamps for signs of them being mounted before.

If it's actually refurbished and not just B stock, used, or unauthorized it should have a refurb sticker or some identification on it somewhere.

I'm still using a Sony A/V home receiver and carousel CD changer (I know, right?) that I bought from an authorized dealer as a known refurb in 1989. The "void if removed" sticker on the bottom panel says refurbished and the boxes did too.

At my stores since then we've bought refurb deals from manufacturers and blew them out the door on occasion. Great way for people to save money. But I do echo buying from an authorized dealer and double check the warranty terms.

I buy refurb and B stock every chance I get....and I get lots of chances. All good so far. When fate catches up to me I will have saved enough dough to pay for the one bad unit many times over.

Stevo-- Factory B stock is light years ahead over Craigs or second hand.

Also, RF has a flat refurb fee FOREVER on all their amps... Like $125?? Or so.. So tell him you'll give him $20 for the burned up amp and send it in for rebuild. They will rebuild it back to factory specs on everything except cosmetics scrapes and scratches etc.

Where you getting this stuff from? If there is enough stock share the link...lots of us are cheap :)<br /><br />Sent from my T.E.D. 'Toilet Entertainment Device'<br />

Edited by jetskipro550

I have bought refurb from tigerdirect.com. When I am looking for electronics, a google search usually finds refurb or B stock. I just bought a JL XD 700/5 b stock from creativecaraudio.net for 349.00. When I opened the bow there was a note from JL saying the crossover section had been replaced and the unit had been bench tested. Still has full 2 year warranty......same as new.

With electronics I have also found exceptional deals on the old model when a new model comes out. Alpine PDX amps was a good example. Sometimes you can find these deals on the mfg's own site. JL has some pretty good deals at their site now and then.....mostly discontinued items. That is another way to buy cheap if you are afraid of refurb or B stock.

If you may need help designing or installing a system you are way better off to buy from Earmark, Exile, Wetsounds, etc. You give up the excellent customer support when you buy cheap. Don't call tigerdirect.com and ask how to set the gain on your new B stock amp. Heck, they may not even have a phone number.

I won't even consider buying from an "authorized dealer." That = lots of markup in my eyes. So many deals online that if I do get a bad unit, the cost is worth the wait.

Of all my current stuff in the boat:

- Amps both new, one on eBay, one on Sonic Electronics

- Head unit and toys for it all eBay, all new except the Imprint box

- Tower speakers were demo's from Exile, though I question if they had ever been removed from the box as you would never know they weren't brand spanking new...saved several hundred dollars though.

- Sub was new from Exile, only because they price matched an online price for a competitor's product

- In-boats were Amazon Warehouse deals

Problems - one of the in-boat speakers had a bad voice coil straight out of the box. Shipped it back for warranty replacement, got a new one and has been good to go. Could have also sent it back to Amazon but didn't feel like removing the external X-over/wiring + they didn't have any more Warehouse deals on these.

I'll do B-stock, refurbs and used all day long and spend 1/2 or less doing so.

I won't even consider buying from an "authorized dealer." That = lots of markup in my eyes. So many deals online that if I do get a bad unit, the cost is worth the wait.

Of all my current stuff in the boat:

- Amps both new, one on eBay, one on Sonic Electronics

- Head unit and toys for it all eBay, all new except the Imprint box

- Tower speakers were demo's from Exile, though I question if they had ever been removed from the box as you would never know they weren't brand spanking new...saved several hundred dollars though.

- Sub was new from Exile, only because they price matched an online price for a competitor's product

- In-boats were Amazon Warehouse deals

Problems - one of the in-boat speakers had a bad voice coil straight out of the box. Shipped it back for warranty replacement, got a new one and has been good to go. Could have also sent it back to Amazon but didn't feel like removing the external X-over/wiring + they didn't have any more Warehouse deals on these.

I'll do B-stock, refurbs and used all day long and spend 1/2 or less doing so.

That a Boy.....way to support AMERICA....just so there is no misunderstanding I AM BEING SARCASTIC....

Not sure if you work for free or if you actually demand a paycheck for your days work....but in case you didn't know it, businesses need profit to pay employees and also to make enough money to give good CONTINUED good service...

Thanks for helping America and the Small business man and the entrepreneur.....Yes I am being sarcastic again!

That a Boy.....way to support AMERICA....just so there is no misunderstanding I AM BEING SARCASTIC....

Not sure if you work for free or if you actually demand a paycheck for your days work....but in case you didn't know it, businesses need profit to pay employees and also to make enough money to give good CONTINUED good service...

Thanks for helping America and the Small business man and the entrepreneur.....Yes I am being sarcastic again!

I wish you were being serious....b/c the point you made is dead on accurate.

I wish you were being serious....b/c the point you made is dead on accurate.

I was TOTALLY BEING SERIOUS.....

What I was trying to point out about NB's statement, was that NB wont buy from a brick and mortar establishment...that is a SHAME...because it is the Small Business man and the Entrepreneur that KEEPS America alive....when we constantly try to buy on the cheap and work out every bit of profit out of business, it will just ruin America further....None of us want to work for free, so why do we expect the places we buy from to work for free....

Does that clear Up my statement and opinion?!

The sarcastic part is always hard to get across in print....email or text...

I am not even close to agreeing with the above. The way consumers buy things is changing. Sellers need to change with the times or get left behind. Plenty of brick and mortar stores now sell on the net. Some of them sell b stock, refurb, demo, over stock, whatever. Some people walk into a store and buy it. Some people search for deals. Some people buy used. No matter how you buy you are driving the economy and supporting American business, not ruining America. My keyboard did not come from Best Buy, but I am certain an American business made a profit from it.

The bottom line is this..........I'm just messin' around on TMC because I don't feel like cleaning the boat just yet. No motivation tonight. Tell me it's good for America. That might work.

I posted twice without regard to the op's question. Sorry!

All legit refurb or B stock is labeled as such right on the box. Also labeled on the product itself sometimes. Serial numbers also sometimes end in B. If the owners manual or warranty card are missing, or the product looks like it has been re packaged, that obviously indicates your item is not "new". You can also check to see if you are buying from an authorized dealer. Ask the mfg........ not the dealer in question. I changed my mind on a 2K item once because the dealer said he was authorized, but the mfg said he was not.

I was TOTALLY BEING SERIOUS.....

What I was trying to point out about NB's statement, was that NB wont buy from a brick and mortar establishment...that is a SHAME...because it is the Small Business man and the Entrepreneur that KEEPS America alive....when we constantly try to buy on the cheap and work out every bit of profit out of business, it will just ruin America further....None of us want to work for free, so why do we expect the places we buy from to work for free....

That's such BS.

Just because I buy something online at a discount doesn't mean I'm not buying from an American. The product is the product, no changing where it is made. Most of the stuff I order comes from American and I avoid foreign sellers when possible, usually due to the lack of service.

So you are saying the American folks are Sonic Electronics are NOT hard working, just because the guy down the street is selling the same product down the street at twice the price? Or that small guy retailing his stuff on Amazon because he doesn't have the resources to blow on a brick and mortar?

So because I buy stuff from an American selling at a discount I'm not supporting America. I disagree. Because I'm spending less I am able to spend my remaining money at other American retailers. One could look at it and say you are lining the pockets of one overpriced business while I'm helping multiple smaller business. Now who is the one not helping America?

Let's even step in further that the unnecessary brick and mortars are hurting our economy. They are a higher risk business, meaning larger business loans and bigger bankruptcy fillings. That small, AMERICAN, online retailer doesn't have the overhead and doesn't need as much loaned startup money, so if he fails it is a less impact on the lenders. Oh yeah, the biggest banks in American are also American based.

Simple answer is get with the times. Buying online and saving isn't anti-American, anti small business. It is just smart.

One more example, because your antiquated way of thinking pisses me off. I don't buy parts from my local dealer. I utilize Bakes and Paul @ Smoothwater a lot. They charge a lot less and provide great service. Two respected American vendors on TMC, correct? Yet your way of thinking says I should blow more at my local dealer that I have no reason to set foot in and overcharges for parts.

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 2