Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone tried building...

h2ojunkie

Have a idea of building a custom speaker box to mount at rear of boat somewhere like on the deck "handle" for listening to it while surfing so as not to have the tower speakers blaring so folks in the boat have a more tolerable experience. ?? We have 4 Pro60's on the tower and even in other boats I have been in just seems after a few hours or more of surfing or boarding the loud music (which I typically love) just starts to eat away at our ears. Was trying to come up with a custom box set up sorta like a WS Rev410 mini version that could be QD mounted for surfing use to the handle at back of boat? That way sound is right there for surfer but not so loud in the boat. We were thinking a couple of XS65's mounted in a box angled outward via the Rev410 set up, don't really see the need for a horn in there but open to suggestions. Would like to be able to remove the box and store it when not in use and just QD the speaker wires at rear of boat somehow and just use the tower speaker signal via a switch to alternate between the tower and "Surf" speaker set up. All input and ideas would be appreciated.

Ran the idea by a buddy that owns a sound shop and he said they might be interested in making them if there is enough interest.

Thought about just cutting the back end of the boat and putting in a couple of XS65's but the thought of cutting those holes back there scares me. Just not sure I want it permanent in case I were to sell the boat in the future.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for some surf speakers. Since wetsounds is your brand of choice check out their non-hlcd tower speaker offerings.

Pick up a pair of wetsound MB8's. I turn my pro 80's down when surfing & let the MB8's do their work. I also turn the cabin down but leave the sub loud, sounds great & people in the boat can still talk, talk loudly but still talking. I wish more boats would do what Epic does with those speakers

what if you made a box with a circular clamp on the back and that clamp connected to the ski pylon, have your cables run at the top of one of your lockers and then plug it in when you need to and store it in your rear locker or somewhere when not in use.

Feeling lazy right now but can someone link this thread to the surf removable transom surf speakers someone made recently. To my reading ti seems to meet the same purpose.

We do turn interior speakers off and sub way down. Have the WS420 that helps a lot but still gets harsh on folks in boat after hours of loud music.We even adjust balance so most of sound is on opposite side of folks in boat. Just seems for every pro a con involved. Maybe a set of speakers on the ski pylon would work but then getting into lockers has some issues and worry someone would hit them or interfere with movements on deck on surf rope even tho we have the WakeJak arm on tower and that keeps rope out of the way mostly. Just seemed back of boat would work better but..???? It's great to get the input from you guys tho, love this site and members.

My buddy suggested the same thing. Would have to water proof big time but 4" bout biggest I could see in there. Mounting would be a challenge tho. I have a VTX, not a lot of room in there. Maybe a horn of some type?

This may be a dumb question, but what are the ramifications for drilling 8" holes through the ski locker to rear hull & mounting a speaker that way? Structural integrity compromised?

Yea, not really wanting to cut the hull unless last resort. Looks like maybe 5 1/4 max to fit where I would want them anyway. And then there is the structural issues, resale down the road,,,, really hoping to design a box for back there or the pylon.

I can't see this really being that hard to do. You would just need to custom design and build a fiberglass box to house whatever speakers you want and get a clamp that will fit the grab handle on the transom. Run some speaker wire from your amp and put a quick connect plug on the transom above the grab handle. I would think a couple of the Wetsounds SW-808's in black would do really well there. The enclosure might stick out pretty far off the back though with those size speakers, and may get in the way of someone putting on a wakeboard, but for surfing it shouldn't be a problem.

If your audio guy can come up with a good design that doesn't look too obtrusive and sell it as a kit with the clamps, quick connect speaker plugs, etc., I think there might be a lot of interest in that product.

Edited by jtrovato

Check out Tygers thread HERE. Not sure you'r going to make a cleaner simpler setup than that without cutting the speakers into the transom.

Edited by TrickyNicky

I like the thinking outside the box, but why not just mount two speakers to the ski pylon like they used to mount speakers to the old extended pylons before towers took over? Nothing permenant, no drilling into fiberglass, gets the speakers behind the passengers, doesn't affect the operation of the rear lockers. With the right bracket, you could even make them swivel up/down so they are positioned directly at the rider instead of the water.

Ex:

Edited by jetskipro550

I like the thinking outside the box, but why not just mount two speakers to the ski pylon like they used to mount speakers to the old extended pylons before towers took over? Nothing permenant, no drilling into fiberglass, gets the speakers behind the passengers, doesn't affect the operation of the rear lockers. With the right bracket, you could even make them swivel up/down so they are positioned directly at the rider instead of the water.

Ex:attachicon.gifpylon.jpg

That's definitely going to effect the rear lockers. The clamp for my BI boom won't allow me to open the rear lockers. And that's with a longer ski pylon and just the circular clamp section (not the large block that the boom hooks into)

That's definitely going to effect the rear lockers. The clamp for my BI boom won't allow me to open the rear lockers. And that's with a longer ski pylon and just the circular clamp section (not the large block that the boom hooks into)

Possibly on your boat, (no idea what your rear sunpad is like). On many boats, ours included, the center (engine) cover is plenty large that the speakers wouldn't effect the side lockers.

Possibly on your boat, (no idea what your rear sunpad is like). On many boats, ours included, the center (engine) cover is plenty large that the speakers wouldn't effect the side lockers.

Ya and that would be awesome, but on our VTX (same as the OP) they are 2 large hatches. and it will definitely interfere.

Wish Malibu stuck with the 3 piece system. I've experienced the walkover 3 piece and it's definitely better. I assume the surf seating setup is better still.

Check out Tygers thread HERE. Not sure you'r going to make a cleaner simpler setup than that without cutting the speakers into the transom.

I like the mounting that those use, but I'd be too worried about snagging them with the surf rope. I would think mounting something to the grab handle is also easily done and much less likely to catch the rope.

I think the rear grab bar would work fine if you can modify clams to fit the small tubing size...and if your speakers are 100% waterproof!

Would they even have to be waterproof? If you mounted them upwards they would only need to be water resistant... right?

Or take a roller from a sacked out 247 from the stern.

I could see someone building a box that would be rounded on top & of one piece that could be fitted to or over the ski pylon. If it's all one piece & smooth, then it wouldn't easily catch the rope. Bonus: if it's built to offset the box toward the stern so that only a small clamp of some sort goes around the pylon, then it could be made to swivel to the side for the boats with the gull wing hatches. And, that way it could be directed toward goofy or standard riders. I think that would be totally doable.

Or take a roller from a sacked out 247 from the stern.

I could see someone building a box that would be rounded on top & of one piece that could be fitted to or over the ski pylon. If it's all one piece & smooth, then it wouldn't easily catch the rope. Bonus: if it's built to offset the box toward the stern so that only a small clamp of some sort goes around the pylon, then it could be made to swivel to the side for the boats with the gull wing hatches. And, that way it could be directed toward goofy or standard riders. I think that would be totally doable.

Exactly!

Anyone got a 3d printer? :biggrin:

The key would be to make it very smooth not just on the top but all over, that way a rope wouldn't be likely to catch on it anywhere. Add some white gator grip or hydroturf to the bottom of it as a non-skid, non-marring surface to sit on the vinyl & I think that you'd have a winner.