Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best malibu to surf behind under $40000

Smeltz

If your only concern is a surf wave, then I totally agree that a used 247 or LSV is going to be your best bet.... However, something tells me that's not your only concern....

Look at it this way; if you're a beginner surfer, or even intermediate, rest assured that ANY of the vdrives (on a wake hull) are going to put out a fantastic surf wave that will outperform you for a looooong time. Obviously, like others said, hull size will play a role. So talking apples to apples (all properly weighted) you're going to get the best wave from the 247, then the LSV, then the VLX & Vride and then the VTX. That said, you're going to pay more for a larger hull too. That might become more apparent when you start comparing 05 247's to 08 VLX's....etc

IMO though, you need to choose a boat that fits ALL your needs/demands because they are all gonna throw a great wave. Lots of advantages to a 247, but lots of disadvantages too. The same can be said for the VLX.... Or any of the other models (except of course the Vride, which is perfect ..... Jk!). For instance, if you wanna store the thing in your garage OR tow the thing with a 1/2 ton truck: a 247 might not be the best fit for you. On the other side: if your regularly boat with 7+ people, a VLX or Vride is gonna feel real small, real quick.

Anyway.... Just my 2 cents

Lame! Haven't you been on this site long enough not to poke that bear?!!!

I'll second taking your time to find the right boat. Sometimes it can fall in your lap. I was looking at a v-ride that I was considering, but not super excited about. The dealer happened to have a nearly new Axis a22 there, which I thought was out of my price range. I made a lowball verbal offer, the owner needed to get out of it, I upped my budget slightly and presto, I was an EXTREMELY happy camper.

I would suggest:

1) Be ready to move QUICKLY if you find the right boat

2) Visit ALL your local dealers (not just Malibu) and let them know what you're looking for. Sometimes they may know of someone who's considering upgrading, but is concerned his boat won't sell. It is a lot easier to upgrade if you know your boat is going to sell.
3) Pay attention to onlyinboards.com

Hey Brtndan thx for the offer I might take you up on the offer in the spring. Right know I am just getting a feel for the boats right know and what I want to get in to looking like Malibu is the winner so for also looking at an Enzo and tige 23V do you know any thing about these boats and there construction ?

dont lump all Enzos into one category....major differnces between them.

OP- You need to define what type of wave you are looking for? then you can get the cheapest boat to achieve that result.

Big fast waves like at the beach? long perferfect form competition style wave?

How much do you weigh? skill level?

I would like a big long wave that I can rid all day long and I am a 205 heavy.

At first I was thinking at 40K 06 or 07 VLX would be best at price and most nice items on it but at 205 I'm thinking 23 or bigger. If I was you it would be 04 and up 23 LSV. Just my 2 cents. Will keep a eye out for you.

I would like a big long wave that I can rid all day long and I am a 205 heavy.

THIS is why I asked. You'll likely want a 247. 23LSV will work nicely, but a 247 would be ideal. Heavier guys struggle on the smaller waves.

• Like 2

Wait. Now we're sizing a rider to THE HULL? That's ridiculous.

While I will totally agree that different hulls put out different waves, I don't beleive for one second the hull needs to be sized to the rider.

Here we go again. overly hyper and defensive.

BS- go read the thread title. BEST. No one disputes you and others have great waves on the 21s. I think few folks have dialed their 21s as well as you have.

OP- most folks on here will tell you the 247 is the best for wakesurfing and easy for most folks to throw a great wave. challenge will be getting one in good condition at $40k. $50k opens the net quite a bit.

My first thought was Enzo when I read best surf boat for under 40k. You're giving up fit and finish and build quality, but they surf great. I had an avalanche before my vlx and the regular (port) wave cleaned up way better due to prop rotation. That boat was falling apart though with only 220 hours.

For what it's worth, I am 6'5" and 250+ and I can surf my boat all day long. I chose to go with a smaller, newer Vlx rather than a larger, older LSV for many reasons. I am extremely happy with the VLX. With the proper weight, I believe I have a respectable wave and an exceptional wakeboarding wake. And I have a diamond hull!!!

• Like 2