Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best malibu to surf behind under $40000

Smeltz

Why is that the best? Never had a v drive boat before so yes I am a virgin to the v drives and wanting the best surf boat out there so any info help me. Thx

Do you do anything other than surf? How many people do you usually have on the boat? Goofy or regular? Looking at any other boats besides Malibu (flame suit on)? What do you currently have?

that's a loaded question. you can take most of these boats and surf with them with enough weight, the proper modifications, and then more variables come into place such as the weight of the rider, the board you're on, the depth of the lake, and the speed of the boat.

Our '98 VLX can surf no problem and we love it, yet someone jumps onto my wake, they might hate it cause it's not "clean"

the 23 LSV is the a bigger boat and so that's the most free ballast as the boat is heavier, but might be harder to sink.

unless it comes with more ballast plumbed into the boat, stock ballast is not always going to get you the surf wave you've been dreaming of.

you need to consider how many people will be in your crew regularly. If you're only going to have 2-3 people all the time, having the 23 LSV might be unnecessary space, and you might not feel you're getting the most out of the boat, than if you had a 21 foot VLX or something similar.

do you want a large pocket that will allow you to do all sorts of fun tricks, or do you want a wave that will just keep you riding ropeless all day, there's all sorts of things to consider.

we could talk all day long about what sac to use where, wedge or not, speed to go at, board to use, but it's best to establish EXACTLY what you're looking for and then the wealth of knowledge on this site will chime in letting you know what different possibilities are out there.

For wakesurfing you want a v-drive, so that narrows it down.

Here is food for thought....I have the 21 VLX and just spent alot of loot for 4000# of ballast to get the wake where I want it. (I only use 2500-3000# at any given time). With a 23 or 247, as others a have said, you will want even more ballast, so thats even more $$ than I spent. And if you pay somebody to do this work, its much more $. Take that into consideration. If money is no big deal, go bigger than 21' for a bigger longer better wave. I am hearing mixed reviews on the surf wake behind an MXZ, but i have no experience there.

For wakesurfing you want a v-drive, so that narrows it down.

Here is food for thought....I have the 21 VLX and just spent alot of loot for 4000# of ballast to get the wake where I want it. (I only use 2500-3000# at any given time). With a 23 or 247, as others a have said, you will want even more ballast, so thats even more $$ than I spent. And if you pay somebody to do this work, its much more $. Take that into consideration. If money is no big deal, go bigger than 21' for a bigger longer better wave. I am hearing mixed reviews on the surf wake behind an MXZ, but i have no experience there.

Might wanna go back and read the OP and title. There is no way your geting into either of those boats for under 40k.

Yes, a larger boat will require more ballast to stink, but there is no argument that a larger boat will not out perform a smaller one when they are both properly weighted. The larger boat when properly dialed in will give more room on the wave to play with.

How many surf comps do they pull with 20-21 ft boats?

Do not get a 20 or 21 foot boat if your looking for a huge wave. If you can do 45k, you should be able to get a 06 247 LSV. Otherwise, as others have mentioned a 04 to 06 23 LSV.

Might wanna go back and read the OP and title. There is no way your geting into either of those boats for under 40k.

Yes, a larger boat will require more ballast to stink, but there is no argument that a larger boat will not out perform a smaller one when they are both properly weighted. The larger boat when properly dialed in will give more room on the wave to play with.

How many surf comps do they pull with 20-21 ft boats?

My bad on the MXZ. I have seen 247's in the 40's. You are splitting hairs if you don t think that boat belongs on the list. And how many comps pulled from a 20-21 boat? I dunno, whats your point? I recommended anything larger than a 21' although it gets pricey.

Maybe a few years ago, I haven't seen ANY 2006 247 even listed below 43k.. So that's blows the budget.

I definitely would go for the 247 for the best surf wave, but you will be challenged to keep that one on the list at 40k.

My point is, if surfing is gonna be your primary job. A 21 ft boat is not ideal, even if it takes less weight.

I stand corrected.

Although, that thing has been for sale for quite some time, at least 7 months .I will almost bet you there is something keeping that from being snatched up. Charlotte is a long way from me, but I would love to know why.

There was another thread about this boat awhile back, but can't find it. It has issues of some sort. Just can't remember. Also read the add, there is a hidden message in there. DOES NOT INCLUDE TRAILER. Says a "new" trailer can be added for $3500. Where does that put the price?

Guess I shoulda said in decent shape with a trailer. Looks it may be in a boat salvage yard also. You'd better do your homework on that one if you wanna get serious about it.

Edit: it is at JC sports, guess this the local Malibu dealer, not a salvage yard. It's listed on the site for 42,500. Don't know why they have such poor add being a dealer and all.

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1

Well just cause a 247 can be found for under 40k doesn't mean it should be bought.....

Soooooo mediocre 247 or nice 23. Your choice.

Edited by Ruffdog
  • Like 2

I stand corrected.

Although, that thing has been for sale for quite some time, at least 7 months .I will almost bet you there is something keeping that from being snatched up. Charlotte is a long way from me, but I would love to know why.

There was another thread about this boat awhile back, but can't find it. It has issues of some sort. Just can't remember. Also read the add, there is a hidden message in there. DOES NOT INCLUDE TRAILER. Says a "new" trailer can be added for $3500. Where does that put the price?

Guess I shoulda said in decent shape with a trailer. Looks it may be in a boat salvage yard also. You'd better do your homework on that one if you wanna get serious about it.

Edit: it is at JC sports, guess this the local Malibu dealer, not a salvage yard. It's listed on the site for 42,500. Don't know why they have such poor add being a dealer and all.

Wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just an option for the OP. Now you state the dealer it's at I think I know who the owner is and his son competes. I've never seen this boat, but know they had ordered a new MXZ before his son's season ending knee injury. If anyone is interested I'll call the owner and find out more details.

I knew I remembered something about that boat. Thanks for the refresher.

Yeah, not properly winterized and needed a new engine, hull has ~1000hrs. And it's been for sale for a long time, I'd say at least 7 months. I first saw it listed at 49k and it's dropped ever since. Its been listed at 39k for at least a month now and I'm sure plenty of people have looked at it, that would be a great deal even if it's in "decent shape". I'm all about a deal and some invested sweat equity but this thing just looked like a rats nest. YMMV

To the OP, deals are out there to be had. Be patient and don't settle for one that "might" work for you. I searched for nearly 2 years before finding an 07 23LSV with 182 hours on it for 43k. Only options its missing are power wedge and the big motor.

Hey guys thx for the input I am in no rush. I want to find the right boat at the right price at the right timespan if you hear of a 23 LSV for around 40000 send me the link to it and I will do the home work on it thx.