Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Engine Coolant Hot" warning on my friend's 2010 LSV w/ LS3...

A friend of mine was out on his 2010 Wakesetter LSV w/ the LS3 motor yesterday. After dropping the boat in and trolling for 5 minutes or so he got a "Engine Coolant Hot" warning on the Maliview. The message went away, and he went to "hit it" but the boat didn't have much power. Then the warning popped up again. So he visually checked the engine; nothing noticeably wrong. He "hit it" again this time everything was normal. The rest of the day the boat worked fine.

Any thoughts on this? He wants to know what to do? Neither of us is very mechanically inclined.

Thanks for your input...

20130205_141101_zpsaed54012.jpg

Not sure why but I've seen an unusual amount of boats doing this this year. Drop the boat in the lake, start it up, idle out for a few minutes, engine heats up & gives a warning. Shut it down, let it cool off, restart & rev it up a bit & the temp drops to the typical 160 degrees like it's supposed to. Then no problems all day.

My own boat did it twice this year. We ran into a guy with an X-80 who had the same issue. Another guy I know with a VLX had it too.

It could be an air bubble in the fresh water lines. Or something blocking the intake. We swam around under the X-80 for a bit & found weeds over all kinds of things. On my boat I pulled the intake hose off at the trans & blew thru it. Second time I just revved it up once.

Bottom line is make sure your intake line is clear & taking in water.

If you take a look at the suction hose..from the scupper to the impellor...it must travel 8-10 feet (on a DD)...why can't Malibu reposition the scupper to that there is less distance to the impeller? If the impellor can't create sufficient vacuum...lake water will not make it to the impellor. The impelloer has to pull the water thru the tranny cooler before lake water gets to the impellor.

On the older DDs, it was about 3 feet from the scupper to the impellor. Much easier for the impellor to generate enough suction/vacuum to pull water form the lake to the impellor.

If you take a look at the suction hose..from the scupper to the impellor...it must travel 8-10 feet (on a DD)...why can't Malibu reposition the scupper to that there is less distance to the impeller? If the impellor can't create sufficient vacuum...lake water will not make it to the impellor. The impelloer has to pull the water thru the tranny cooler before lake water gets to the impellor.

On the older DDs, it was about 3 feet from the scupper to the impellor. Much easier for the impellor to generate enough suction/vacuum to pull water form the lake to the impellor.

Because of the vdrive?

My 2004 hammerhead boat did that once. A quick rev fixed it for the rest of the day. Later I checked the impeller and it was half shot. I'm guessing the weak impeller needed some rpm's to prime the system and get the water flowing.

My 2004 hammerhead boat did that once. A quick rev fixed it for the rest of the day. Later I checked the impeller and it was half shot. I'm guessing the weak impeller needed some rpm's to prime the system and get the water flowing.

That is Indmar's solution to the overheating issue(s) with the LS3.

seems like I remember the LS3 has had overheating issues at idle for a while. and also something about a heater pump. I remember smoothwaterman had some advice....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27274-ls3-engine-overheating-need-help/

I had the exact problem. I finally just gave up and bypassed the heater. Problem fixed .

• 1 year later...

I have that same problem but it did not occur until the end of the summer. Don't mind rev up the boat if needed but wondering if there is a solution other than by passing the heater.