Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Sunscape 21 LSV Surf set up

Levi900RR

Sledandski - I'm actually using your dimensions that you posted in your surf gate write-up. Let me know if you've changed them!

Sledandski - I'm actually using your dimensions that you posted in your surf gate write-up. Let me know if you've changed them!

The only change I made was the angle that the gate swings out from the boat. So if you were standing on the swim platform looking down on the gate I believe I had it swung out about 18-24 deg depending on which hole I was in. I have pulled it in so it swings between 12-18 degrees. I don't remember where it is adjusted too right now.

The only issue I have had is when I don't have a lot of people in the boat. The wave seems to get longer and smaller with very little push. When we have 6+ people in the boat it is awesome but when there is only 2-3 people in the boat it gets a little difficult to surf. Not impossible but you have to be careful or you lose the wave. I have stuck my 750 under the port side seat which helps but I am guessing that is only a few hundred pounds of extra weight due to how much I can fill it. I might be better off putting the 750 on the floor and filling it up all the way. I usually have more than 3 people in the boat so its not my biggest concern.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

So, I did my surf gate test. It went reasonably well. After I built it, I only had a limited time to test it as the weather didn't cooperate and I didn't get any pictures.

Sledandski - I used your design, but I only did a 16 degree angle out to the side.

We used the wedge, 750s in each of the rear lockers, a w705 rear seat bag in the center locker, and an underseat sac, and it was just my wife and I in the boat. Observations:

1) the wave on both sides was definitely longer....but it wasn't a massive difference.

2) push seemed no worse

3) the bow of the boat was really high...normally, when we surf I can sit on the bolster and see over. This time, I had to stand up. Perhaps I need bow weight.

4) RPMs were probably in the neighbourhood of 3000 at around 10.5mph. I forgot to write it down. I'm not sure what they are normally when we surf...I'm thinking 2200. It definitely felt like the boat was working a lot harder.

5) steering was terrible at slow speeds...so going back to a fallen rider took some getting used to.

6) the wave was fairly clean, but cleaned up nicely if you steered slightly starboard for goofy or port for regular.

Oh, Levi - for wakeboarding with the full ballast, wedge, and the 1939, we were about 3300RPM at around 21mph. Again, it was just my wife and I... and we weren't pulling anybody up. It got on plane reasonably fine.

Next time, I think I'll try to have some slightly uneven weight and add some more bow weight. I'd like more length in the wave.

So, I did my surf gate test. It went reasonably well. After I built it, I only had a limited time to test it as the weather didn't cooperate and I didn't get any pictures.

Sledandski - I used your design, but I only did a 16 degree angle out to the side.

We used the wedge, 750s in each of the rear lockers, a w705 rear seat bag in the center locker, and an underseat sac, and it was just my wife and I in the boat. Observations:

1) the wave on both sides was definitely longer....but it wasn't a massive difference.

2) push seemed no worse

3) the bow of the boat was really high...normally, when we surf I can sit on the bolster and see over. This time, I had to stand up. Perhaps I need bow weight.

4) RPMs were probably in the neighbourhood of 3000 at around 10.5mph. I forgot to write it down. I'm not sure what they are normally when we surf...I'm thinking 2200. It definitely felt like the boat was working a lot harder.

5) steering was terrible at slow speeds...so going back to a fallen rider took some getting used to.

6) the wave was fairly clean, but cleaned up nicely if you steered slightly starboard for goofy or port for regular.

Oh, Levi - for wakeboarding with the full ballast, wedge, and the 1939, we were about 3300RPM at around 21mph. Again, it was just my wife and I... and we weren't pulling anybody up. It got on plane reasonably fine.

Next time, I think I'll try to have some slightly uneven weight and add some more bow weight. I'd like more length in the wave.

Crystal,

Your definitely running a little bit more weight than I was (I have 400's in the back vs your 750's). What you ran would probably be closer in weight to when I have 6-8 people in the boat. The difference is that I spread people out and usually have 1-2 in the bow. So I if you have 750's in the rear I would think some bow weight would make sense. When I am driving I can usually see over the bow with the bolster flipped up, I'm 5'10".

Awesome to know how this does with the 1939 and 2, 750's in the rear plus a 705 in the center for wakeboarding. That is when I wish I had a different prop the most. I am pretty sure with the 581 that I still have on that I would not be able to get up on plane with this setup.

I made a huge step in dialing in my wave this weekend, and the key was to pull the wedge up. I had my port rear 750 full, my W704 as full as it would go under the port seats and about #280lbs of VAB in the bow, PP set at 10 MPH. It was awesome, I mean it wasn't a dong sac 247 but I was so pumped. The only other thing I need to test is if I can get the same results without people in the bow if I use my center locker sac, if not I'll have to order up a V style bow bag.

I made a huge step in dialing in my wave this weekend, and the key was to pull the wedge up. I had my port rear 750 full, my W704 as full as it would go under the port seats and about #280lbs of VAB in the bow, PP set at 10 MPH. It was awesome, I mean it wasn't a dong sac 247 but I was so pumped. The only other thing I need to test is if I can get the same results without people in the bow if I use my center locker sac, if not I'll have to order up a V style bow bag.

Levi,

That is awesome, I take it your running listed and w/o any kind of surfgate, correct?

Levi,

That is awesome, I take it your running listed and w/o any kind of surfgate, correct?

Yes sir you are correct. I have big surfgate plans but I'm waiting till I can go all out.

Cool!! I'll be looking forward to seeing that thread once you have it complete.

Yeah its going to be a while. I'm probably going to plumb in the bags I have first then move to a fully automated SG set up. At least that's the plan.

Hmm. Never even thought to try without the wedge. I get a ton of push with 600 in the locker, 400 under the side seats, 400 in the bow, and as much VAB on the surf side towards the stern as possible. Will have to try without Wedge sometime.

Brodie, what are you at for RPM at 36 MPH with that prop? The 381 is pretty close to 100:1.

Brodie, what are you at for RPM at 36 MPH with that prop? The 381 is pretty close to 100:1.

I believe I am at about 3800-3900 at 36 mph. I will check this weekend and post.

I think we talked about this before, The wedge adds rear weight, we have tried without the wedge and the surf wave was worse but we have smaller bags then most of you do. I also tried a surfgate and lost push, the wave looked great but just was lacking push, we had alot more rear weight in the boat with the gate. Maybe I should have pulled the wedge up with the gate to see if it got better, but it drove terrible with the gate anyhow so no seance in pulling up the wedge and using the gate for a similar wave? Wasn't that the hype in the wedge, no need for bigger bags taking up space in the boat? Have any of you that are running without the wedge tried running with it and less weight in the rear to see if the wave is the same? It seems we get about the same wave with a ton of people in the boat with it almost sunk, as we do with just a few of us and the weight distributed rite, sometimes I think its actually better with less people, (more push). This hule just doesn't allow enough weight up front to compensate for what u can get in the rear IMHO.

Yeah man I'm starting to shy away from my wedge. That same day I wakeboarded with no wedge and just my center locker full. I really liked the wake, I also pulled myself in 5 feet which could have helped. I haven't had much time at the end of the rope the last few years so my skills have deteriorated.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm fairly sold on the idea of my DIY-gate. It seems to now work quite well. My set-up is as follows: 750s in each rear (with the non-surfside reduced by I'm guessing 15%), a centre-seat sac in the centre locker, the v-shaped underseat bow sac, and an additional 450 sac in the bow. People weight is usually 500-600lbs. We run with the wedge, but no-wedge also works fine. I have found that a slight lean to the boat cleans up the wave very nicely. Extra bow weight helps. Speed is 10.7-11.2 depending on the rider.

I don't think the wave is any taller, but it is definitely longer.

The only problem is that my 3/4" plywood is getting mouldy. I'm going to look into some sort of HDPE or cutting board material.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm fairly sold on the idea of my DIY-gate. It seems to now work quite well. My set-up is as follows: 750s in each rear (with the non-surfside reduced by I'm guessing 15%), a centre-seat sac in the centre locker, the v-shaped underseat bow sac, and an additional 450 sac in the bow. People weight is usually 500-600lbs. We run with the wedge, but no-wedge also works fine. I have found that a slight lean to the boat cleans up the wave very nicely. Extra bow weight helps. Speed is 10.7-11.2 depending on the rider.

I don't think the wave is any taller, but it is definitely longer.

The only problem is that my 3/4" plywood is getting mouldy. I'm going to look into some sort of HDPE or cutting board material.

An old snowboard cut in half works well too...

I finally remembered to check this last night. I was at about 4050-4100 at 36 mph on gps(phone app).