Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Sunscape 21 LSV Surf set up

Levi900RR

Well, I finally got my surf set up dialed in. Wondering if anyone has any ideas (other than surfgate which will be coming soon) on how to weight it I'd love to hear them.

750 in the rear locker full

As much as I can get into my #500 V drive sac under the surf side seat.

500 full in the bow

Wedge down

11MPH on the GPS.

It was AWESOME this weekend. I have that smaller skim style Obrien board that I've had for a few years and not been able to ride behind the Skier. I was having a blast on it this weekend.

I have messed with a 500 in the center ski locker but I don't have enough bags to have the surf side seat and the bow weighted as well as the center locker. I'm going to wait to get my surfgate set up before I plumb anything in, but this set up is really nice now.

Is it worth buying another bag for the center ski locker?

IMG_0135.jpg

I don't have a wedge on my 01 VLX. We run 750 in storage, about 300 under the seat, ski locker bag full, 450 on top of the seats, and cooler in the bow. Speed is 11-11.2

Yes, it is worth having the locker sac and I have one for you. $120 shipped, just like new. I am running the same as you except I have a bow sac under the front seats, so a little less weight in the bow, plus the center MLS. Surf wake is great. I also add another 400 bag on the port seats or port side bow if our crew is small.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html

Edited by Brodie

Thanks man, my boat budget is... hmmm... lets say Depleted for 2013, probably for 2014 as well so I'll have to pass. :lol:

I'd like to get rid of my #500's eventually and get a bow sac, locker sac and something that fits real nice under the port side wrap around seats. Then plumb them all in with reversible pumps. For now I'll have to keep stuffing my 500's where I can fit them and filling them manually.

I am running the 1235 for reference Levi.

Yeah, I think that is going to be on my list of upgrades at some point. I'm not disappointed with the stock one right now, but I'm not running much weight for wakeboarding...

I run about 2000 pounds in my VLX plus people for wakeboarding, and the 1235 pulls it up and out of the water without hesitation. I also noticed that at slower speeds I have more bow rise with the prop. I think this helps the surf wave. I don't know for sure because over the winter I made so many changes and I can't accurately tell you what made more or less improvement.

I'm running a 750 in the rear locker, a rear seat sac in the ski locker, and a underseat bow sac. I'm not sure how much go into the ski locker or bow, but they fill the compartments. I get some wash along the spine of the wake if there are not many people in the boat. Before I had the rear seat sac and the underseat bow sac, I'd put a 500 on the surfside (seat or floor) and a 500 in the bow. I think it made a little cleaner wake before, but it wasn't conducive to my kids seating enjoyment.

I use the 1939 prop and I'm happy with it.

I surf at 11.5.

I'm running a 750 in the rear locker, a rear seat sac in the ski locker, and a underseat bow sac. I'm not sure how much go into the ski locker or bow, but they fill the compartments. I get some wash along the spine of the wake if there are not many people in the boat. Before I had the rear seat sac and the underseat bow sac, I'd put a 500 on the surfside (seat or floor) and a 500 in the bow. I think it made a little cleaner wake before, but it wasn't conducive to my kids seating enjoyment.

I use the 1939 prop and I'm happy with it.

I surf at 11.5.

wedge?

• 2 months later...

Plotting out my Christmas list for my '14 Surf set up.

Current:

750 in rear locker

center locker sac

#500lb V drive sac on the bow seats.

I'd like to have everything under seats.

This is what I'm thinking of adding.

Whatever bag fits nicely under the port side seat

V bow sac for under the front seats.

Am I missing anything?

I'm hoping once I dial this thing in and know where I want the weight (preferably hidden under seats) I can start thinking about pumps and plumbing.

Plotting out my Christmas list for my '14 Surf set up.

Current:

750 in rear locker

center locker sac

#500lb V drive sac on the bow seats.

I'd like to have everything under seats.

This is what I'm thinking of adding.

Whatever bag fits nicely under the port side seat

V bow sac for under the front seats.

Am I missing anything?

I'm hoping once I dial this thing in and know where I want the weight (preferably hidden under seats) I can start thinking about pumps and plumbing.

Levi,

FYI, I added the bow sac under the front seats and a tube sac under the port side seats, both run off a Johnson reversible pump, and 2 PVC valves to control flow. Both bags get 80-85% full. I love the reversible pump and will be adding one to my rear port locker bag(which I plan to upgrade from a 750 to an 1100). I added check valves to both vent lines and the Johnson pump sucks both bags completely flat. I will use the 750 in the starboard locker.

Edited by Brodie
  • 7 months later...

Revisiting this for this year. Anyone know the part number off the sac that fits under the port side seats? I've got the center locker filled and the 750 in the rear corner. Been watching for a used V nose sac but may have to just bite the bullet and go new.

So my final set up will be:

750 in the rear locker, "tube" sac under the port seat, center locker sac, V nose bag. with the wedge

Anything else I can do with this hull besides a surf gate?

I have an o2 21 lsv sunscape , plumbed in ones - 750 rear locker 750 surfside seat ( as full as i can get it - not sure weight ) 450 center locker - then i throw a 500 in bow and 2- 400 on floor also have manual wedge. works pretty good. Id would post pics but not sure how !

Revisiting this for this year. Anyone know the part number off the sac that fits under the port side seats? I've got the center locker filled and the 750 in the rear corner. Been watching for a used V nose sac but may have to just bite the bullet and go new.

So my final set up will be:

750 in the rear locker, "tube" sac under the port seat, center locker sac, V nose bag. with the wedge

Anything else I can do with this hull besides a surf gate?

The Fly high part number is W704. It fits well under the seats. I was able to find a longer version on Ebay recently that is 70" long instead 60" like the W704. Same height and width, just 10" longer, so a little more weight. The tube sac and bow sac really help maximize the potential of this hull. Typically run 11.0 on PP, and its money! Sometimes I will run an extra 400 lb on the surf side seat or in the bow, if its just 2 or 3 of us. Edited by Brodie

I run all Fly High bags. Note that their advertised weight is not always correct: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800855

Under the port seat AND ski locker: Fly High W705. 60x26x10 - this is the bag you should be running for both. Neither will fill to full capacity; my "guess" is the port bag fills to 450-500lbs and the ski locker to 500lbs.

Bow is the W711, fits nicely under the bow seats. No chance of it filling anywhere close to capacity. I estimate it is ~300lbs just from comparing fill/drain times to my other bags and what others have claimed to have gotten from it.

Locker bags, I originally went with the standard W707, which though rated for 750 only fills to 720 - and in honesty probably only filled to high 675-700 in the locker. I recently switched to the W719. THIS IS THE BAG TO GO WITH, don't waste your time with the W707. It is a noticeable difference in fill time and how far the rear sinks surfing. Though rated for 1100, it will only fill to 1037 in ideal conditions (assuming same ratio as the W707 true measured weight), and I estimate ~900lbs in my locker. My wife noticed the difference, as she comment on how much further the boat is leaning now.

I also run 200lbs of lead + floating wedge. I am just starting to get this new setup tweaked, though I had pretty good success my last outing to where I had to adjust my riding as the pocket was a lot longer than it used to be, so I could play further out. I also had more push towards the bottom of the wake than I previously have. I ride @ 11MPH, though I may end up speeding that up a bit to 11.2 - 11.5. I was previously having issues with the wake curling over but didn't seem as bad the last outing.

Under the port seat AND ski locker: Fly High W705. 60x26x10 - this is the bag you should be running for both. Neither will fill to full capacity; my "guess" is the port bag fills to 450-500lbs and the ski locker to 500lbs.

I would be really surprised if you even got 400 in that W705 under the port seats, considering that most of the space under those seats is only 16" wide and 8-9" high. Also, the W705 would need to be bulging to 17" in order to get to max capacity(650 lbs), so you can basically cut your weight capacity in half due to the height and width restrictions. I had an older version of the W705 that was 60x23x10 and it was tough to fill up because of all the extra material and airspace. There is just too much room for it to bulge and push the seats up. The tube sac will hold nearly the same due to the space and will fill much easier without having to burp it constantly like I did with the wider bag.

Levi, I have an extra W704, now that I have a longer one, that I may sell if my buddy doesn't buy it.

Edited by Brodie

I forgot to mention a couple of other mods I did over the winter that have helped:

1: I added a johnson pump to my port rear 750, and moved the vent line to the starboard side. This has resulted in being able to fill the bag more full, and it stays full, whereas before it would siphon out.

2: I made a hose extension for the bow sac in case I want to put it on top of the bow seats to get more weight out of it, instead of manually filling an additional 400lb sac on top of the bow seats.