Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Malibu MXZ reliability issues

tmusgrave

I purchased my 22 MXZ Malibu new in April and now has 60 hours on it - the boat has been in the shop at least 8 times for various reasons. Powerwedge faults, surfgate not operating, service engine warnings, etc. The boat is awesome when it works, but obviously I never know when it is going too. We have brought a large group out on 3 occasions and boat would not operate (Power wedge stuck in open position) so it has ruined a few outings planned. I certainly regret buying this brand and spending this much on such a problematic boat (my last boat went 3 years without issue). I escalated my problems to the dealer in Atlanta as well they have told me they went to Malibu directly and after my last shop visit a week ago being told that the boat is operating normally even though the last set of errors cannot be reproduced (they just cleared the errors) and a few of the quirks like having to recalibrate surfgate to get it to work are still occurring. I have plenty of pictures and video of the issues and anted to reach out to this group and see if folks are finding the new model as un-reliable as I am and if any issues have been corrected which my dealership may not be aware of?

I cannot speak at to the new models but we have not had any issues like you are talking about. we purchased our boat with 30 hours on it this year and it has been "knock on wood" flawless. But I do not have all of the technology on board that you have. I sure hope you get some kind of resolve in this matter. I sure would not want to have spent that kind of money for the results you have gotten so far. Good luck and keep us informed.

CB

I would say that your experience is not a normal one. There have been some wedge faults, but usually a recalibration or replacing an actuator resolves it. You mentioned Atlanta, I am guessing you are working with Singleton Marine. They are a good dealer to work with and a good reputation around the area. I would say continue to work with them and if you are still not happy, sell the boat and move on....

All problems can be fixed ..sell the boat is not a solution as he would take a huge loss.

I am sure your problem are all minor .dealer should step up and fix everything you will be fine.

Many friends have mxz's and all happy.

i find that alot of people who have issues can e self created. i am not saying yours are

take in consideration,

-wedge should not be deployed over 5mph malibu says faster but this can make the actuators go down unevenly

-wedge up works best between 3-5 mph to fully stow,

- the touch screen is just like a frozen computer and keyboard if it freezes continuing pressing buttons will only result in more processing and add to aggravation

- get all software up dates done and go through the menus and interface and familiarize your self with the controls and settings and resets.

- there are bypasses for the wedge so if if does stick down you can bring it up or down.

i know your frustrated but it really is a great boat i think your having isolated problems. i had a few issues i was able to resolve on my own. personally i wont be looking at a different brand i love my bu and even though they pulled my warranty on a brand new boat i would do it all again for surf gate. the amazement joy i get from telling new people that surf they don't need to jam in the corner or one side to go surf is priceless. and the fun you get from now being able to elevate the sport by changing sides instantly is awesome. i say give it a chance they will make it right. i know its frustrating having problems.

I was in your situation with a 2011 model. Sounds like mostly electrical problems which is common and really no suprise if you look way these systems are engineered and assembled. Unfortuniatly, some dealers basically throw parts at the problem until fixed, which can take some time.

If you can list out your issues one by one with as much detail on the problem as possible, many on this forum can help guide you to solutions. For example, the powerwedge stuck in the down postion is a common problem, with one potential cause being a bad actuator drawing more voltage than the other. Often, Malibu will tell the dealer to install a bigger fuse before actually replacing the actuator. Hopefully, you can use info like this and demand that the dealer look at these problems and shorten the downtime.

It's pretty sad that you have to deal with these kind of issues on such an expensive asset but that is a seperate discussion. Wish it were as simple as saying brand X is better than brand Y but there is no good quality data that I am aware of to help you pick. It is sort of luck of the draw when you get your boat. You will need to become as educated and involved as possible to get these problems solved down to root cause.

You are not the normal Malibu experience. Although, I will be first to say these boats are not perfect. I have never owned a new boat without any issues (also had a Skiers Choice product prior to Malibu)

I have owned a 2011 vlx, put 253 hours on the boat, biggest problem I had on that boat was the MTC froze up once so my dealer replaced it and never did it again. I now have a 2013 vlx and I just hit 120 hours, had a couple issues but overall pretty solid and reliable on water. At pickup I did have a couple items that needed addressed, the tower was off alignment and would not fully collapse, dealer realigned it. My ballast pumps and heater would not come on, dealer replaced fuse bus and it took care of problem. Those two items were at delivery, so far I have a couple vinyl issues they are taking care of, and my rear hard tank float reads 1/4 full at times which will be replaced this fall after season is over.

It does seem like the wedge either works great, or people have a lot of issues with it. Keep working with your dealer, they will get it working for you. Sorry you are having problems, your case seems to be more of out out of the normal.

i find that alot of people who have issues can e self created. i am not saying yours are

take in consideration,

-wedge should not be deployed over 5mph malibu says faster but this can make the actuators go down unevenly

-wedge up works best between 3-5 mph to fully stow,

- the touch screen is just like a frozen computer and keyboard if it freezes continuing pressing buttons will only result in more processing and add to aggravation

- get all software up dates done and go through the menus and interface and familiarize your self with the controls and settings and resets.

- there are bypasses for the wedge so if if does stick down you can bring it up or down.

i know your frustrated but it really is a great boat i think your having isolated problems. i had a few issues i was able to resolve on my own. personally i wont be looking at a different brand i love my bu and even though they pulled my warranty on a brand new boat i would do it all again for surf gate. the amazement joy i get from telling new people that surf they don't need to jam in the corner or one side to go surf is priceless. and the fun you get from now being able to elevate the sport by changing sides instantly is awesome. i say give it a chance they will make it right. i know its frustrating having problems.

If you have your pre-sets done. Your wedge will deploy accordingly. If its an auto set wedge....once you throttle down and go into neutral the wedge will automatically go all the way down. Depending if you have it set a couple of clicks up from bottom, the wedge will go into position once you get up to speed. Pretty much once you get "out of the hole" it will set itself automatically. This is fool proof if you use your pre-sets. Am I wrong? Edited by Afun

There are lemons from every manufacturer. My friend had a very nice axis that had engine mount issues and it caused the whole drive train to fall apart. We have a G23 on our lake that maybe had 20 hours on it before it completely broke down on memorial day and wasn't back on the water until mid july. It can happen to any boat.

I have to agree with Roscoe that they seem to be self created. Dont manually deploy the wedge, let the presets do it for you then there should be few troubles.

We got a service engine warning near the initial 20 hour mark but that was when it was due so....

all the boat companies use the same stuff for the most part. Medallion makes all of the electronics for Malibu Mastercraft Supra and I'm sure others. Most engines are indmar or pcm and whatever master craft uses, but all base motors are the same gm motors. Indmar and pcm just marinize the motor basically change the exhaust and make it cool on straight lake water or with a heat exchanger and give the motor a tune not much different than what superchips does to a car engine. the transmissions are either zf hurth or borg warner. the boat companys just make the fiberglass and seats.

all the boat companies use the same stuff for the most part. Medallion makes all of the electronics for Malibu Mastercraft Supra and I'm sure others. Most engines are indmar or pcm and whatever master craft uses, but all base motors are the same gm motors. Indmar and pcm just marinize the motor basically change the exhaust and make it cool on straight lake water or with a heat exchanger and give the motor a tune not much different than what superchips does to a car engine. the transmissions are either zf hurth or borg warner. the boat companys just make the fiberglass and seats.

I think mc and Nautique are using Murphy system in 2013 models. Not sure if they are better or worse than Medallion?

I agree with one of the original posts, and I had to do this very same thing.

Get in your boat and spend time alone with it, understand it. Ask a lot of questions at the dealership and work with them, nicely. My dealership has been great to me, even through the 'first world' problems I have had with my boat.

I believe the boats are a little too smart for their own good, but if you just touch the buttons slow and take your time with the settings it should be pretty consistent.

Good luck and be patient.

i find that alot of people who have issues can e self created. i am not saying yours are take in consideration, -wedge should not be deployed over 5mph malibu says faster but this can make the actuators go down unevenly -wedge up works best between 3-5 mph to fully stow, - the touch screen is just like a frozen computer and keyboard if it freezes continuing pressing buttons will only result in more processing and add to aggravation - get all software up dates done and go through the menus and interface and familiarize your self with the controls and settings and resets. - there are bypasses for the wedge so if if does stick down you can bring it up or down. i know your frustrated but it really is a great boat i think your having isolated problems. i had a few issues i was able to resolve on my own. personally i wont be looking at a different brand i love my bu and even though they pulled my warranty on a brand new boat i would do it all again for surf gate. the amazement joy i get from telling new people that surf they don't need to jam in the corner or one side to go surf is priceless. and the fun you get from now being able to elevate the sport by changing sides instantly is awesome. i say give it a chance they will make it right. i know its frustrating having problems.

I would beg that you not say that again out loud. Definitely don't say it out loud in Virginia. :biggrin:

Got our boat back today. Reading above I am a technology guy so used to the firmware/ software updates and taking it slow when the system does not react right away. NAV option I had installed not available again - easy fix. SurfGate worked and no engine warnings for 2 hours which is pretty good for my Malibu. Fun evening with Surfgate so crossing my fingers that we won't break down again.

Tims response had the best approach and the wedge issue was the main culprit. The replaced the actuators during the 4th reported issue. Other items have failed for different reasons after that so wish I would have posted this earlier to get that one out of the way which would have reduced the frustration.

As mentioned Singleton is the dealer. I did not mention them as they have been great. Pick up the phone or email very quickly and they have worked on the boat as soon as I returned - not perfect as some issues ongoing, but about as good of service as one can expect. They have just had the same luck I have had = unreliable boat. Shelly our sales lady was great- just wish she sold Natiuque so we would have avoided this mess.

It was a fun night as the boat worked and just hoping I don't need to return it again anytime soon.

Thanks for the replies!

you have no idea what issues some friends had on mastercrafts and nautiques...I have a friend with x2 that waited for 6 months to have screen replaced under warranty !! nautique 200 that screen needed replacing after 20 hours..boat sat all summer ...at least Malibu is quick on

warranty issues !

I think saying problems are self induced seems a bit presumptuous. I bought a new 2012 last October. Like tmusgrave, I have had many issues, both mechanical and poor quality. I don't think I caused any of these problems and between the dealer and the crew I've been able to continue boating, but I've lost a couple of days and stranded on the water. I have owned 3 other boats, all Formula, and haven't had half the problems in all 3! I think some of the frustration is the fact that we own cars that cost the same, we drive them everyday, and I don't have as many problems as with this boat. Also, the dealer would come get the car and leave me with a loaner. Now I have had some lemons in cars. 1 Range Rover, I had to get rid of because they couldn't fix the air ride suspension, and 2 cayennes, I bought the second one because Porsche had fixed all the problems with the first one, new model- new problems! Here are the problems I had or have with my new boat:

- broken trans at deliver-they had to remove the entire back portion of boat motor and interior. Lost the end of 2012

- wedge stuck half way down- a long trip home that day at slow speed

- no radio- this was psychological devistating!!!!!!!!

- gas gauge read 1/4 - 1/8 tank, but was empty!!!!! Thankfully made a new friend on the lake who towed me in and had gas, lucky day.

- various other little things that have broken, fallen off or just not fitted or working properly

So as with my car experiences, this boat would be put on my lemon list. The dealer has been somewhat helpful, but as we all know, it isn't always convenient getting there. I do feel that all makes of ski boats seem to suffer from these problems.

I think saying problems are self induced seems a bit presumptuous. I bought a new 2012 last October. Like tmusgrave, I have had many issues, both mechanical and poor quality. I don't think I caused any of these problems and between the dealer and the crew I've been able to continue boating, but I've lost a couple of days and stranded on the water. I have owned 3 other boats, all Formula, and haven't had half the problems in all 3! I think some of the frustration is the fact that we own cars that cost the same, we drive them everyday, and I don't have as many problems as with this boat. Also, the dealer would come get the car and leave me with a loaner. Now I have had some lemons in cars. 1 Range Rover, I had to get rid of because they couldn't fix the air ride suspension, and 2 cayennes, I bought the second one because Porsche had fixed all the problems with the first one, new model- new problems! Here are the problems I had or have with my new boat:

- broken trans at deliver-they had to remove the entire back portion of boat motor and interior. Lost the end of 2012

- wedge stuck half way down- a long trip home that day at slow speed

- no radio- this was psychological devistating!!!!!!!!

- gas gauge read 1/4 - 1/8 tank, but was empty!!!!! Thankfully made a new friend on the lake who towed me in and had gas, lucky day.

- various other little things that have broken, fallen off or just not fitted or working properly

So as with my car experiences, this boat would be put on my lemon list. The dealer has been somewhat helpful, but as we all know, it isn't always convenient getting there. I do feel that all makes of ski boats seem to suffer from these problems.

Its tough to blame a transmission failure on Malibu, they don't build transmissions. Did they repair it in a timely manner? Stereo not working is pretty minor, the wedge being stuck half way is a bummer, what was the fix for the wedge? Yea, these boats are not perfect that is for sure and they are hand made, subject to human error unfortunately.

Its tough to blame a transmission failure on Malibu, they don't build transmissions. Did they repair it in a timely manner? Stereo not working is pretty minor, the wedge being stuck half way is a bummer, what was the fix for the wedge? Yea, these boats are not perfect that is for sure and they are hand made, subject to human error unfortunately.

I don't blame Malibu for any one problem, but the number of problems. With the trans, the dealer fixed it in 2-3 weeks, but that burned the end of 2012(I bought it at the end of September and hoped to use for the month of October). The problem with the stereo was getting it into the dealer in the spring time, they are very busy. I didnt want to give it up for a couple of weeks, so I had no tunes for a month. The wedge was fixed by replacement of the rams. It went out the first time I used it. Now I'm afraid to try it!! Thankfully, a crew member emailed me a repair sheet, so I was able to get it unstuck and use the boat on the weekend before the dealer could get it in.I still haven't tried the ballast tanks, I'm worried those won't work either. Next time would I try another brand of ski boat? I will definitely have to think about it. I want to love my Malibu, and I'm usually a very brand loyal person once I find a good product. All my formulas have been great boats, I still have one. I wouldn't hesitate buying another formula. We have really enjoyed having the Malibu, I just wish it didn't have so many problems.

It's a shame that these boats cost more than most cars and have more problems to be resolved.

Yes, i have had some problems this year with the 2013 22MXZ that had to be resolved by the dealer but in all we have had a great Summer and are working towards 80 hours and counting. Keep working with the dealer as they want your problems resolved just as much as you do. All boats troubleshooting from time to time and don't think that the other brands are any different. My brother in law has had problems that have all been resolved on his 2013 MC X-Star. It's just part of owning a new boat.

I totally agree, new boat bugs, first 10-15 hours there is always a few items that pop up. Usually pretty minor stuff. The trans failure is a complete bummer, would have thought Malibu would have caught this at the lake test...or maybe they did and just said ship it, hope not, but it makes you wonder if there mindset is "the dealer will take care of it".