Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extra Ports in Hard Tanks Plug size....and my quick fix

NCVride

So we were out yesterday and I filled the rear ballast. After a few minutes one of the tanks started overflowing as it should when full. About 2 minutes later the other had not started to overflow yet. I knew immediately something wasn't right. When I looked in the rear locker, I saw water pouring out of the hard tank. I reached around back and for some reason the cap on the threaded plug had snapped off. We went back to the dock and put the boat on the lift so I could fix it. I pulled the box and notice the cap on the other plug had broken loose as well. They both snapped off flush leaving the threads in the hole. The hardware store close to our place at the lake was already closed and I didn't want to drive 30 minutes each way to Lowes without knowing the plug size. I came up with a quick fix. :whistle:

27wydyu.jpg

Yes those are wine corks :cheers: ........It saved me at least an hour and let us get in the evening butter run. It also let us enjoy the day today as well There is no way the corks can back out since that end of hard tank sits against the transom wall, but I definitely don't want this to be a permanent fix.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE PLUGS I NEED? I am thinking 1" but not sure. Its a '06 VRIDE.

EDIT: Nevermind the plug size just found out at Bakes' they are 3/4"... so enjoy laughing at my quick fix.

Edited by NCVride

Mine did the same. Used a sprinkler removel tool to get the old ones out and went to Home Depot and found some PVC plugs. Worked like a charm. Don't remember the size off hand but they do have them.

Edited by bcf2003