Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV Steering Question

wakesetterlsv

We are a month into using a 2004 Wakesetter LSV the boat only has 370 hours on it and we've put 30 of those in the past month. This last week we boated Thursday and Friday with no problems. Saturday I launched the boat and my son drove it around to the dock. We loaded everyone on and moved away from the dock and stopped to blow up tubes. When we went to go the boat would only go to the left in circles. The steering wheel spun like a top with no tension. The steering looks intact below the steering wheel, I pulled the engine cover and reached down and the connections feel tight on the rudder. We pulled the boat out and you can manually turn the rudder to the right and the steering wheel turns at the same time. From the boat you can then turn the rudder to the left but that's all it will do. It will then spin free right or left and there is no rudder movement. I read some posts that talks about the cable not being too bad to replace but I don't want to jump into that before I know for sure that is what it is. We are new to the direct drive boating after years of an inboard/outboard so I'd love some expertise on this one. In advance - thanks!

By the way you describe the problem it sounds like you may have a steering cable issue. Once the rudder is full turned the wheel should not turn any more. Just as a list of some things to check, here is a thread from my boat where I though there was an issue, and the things that the members had me check.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44552-steering-question/?hl=steering