Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best cover for sunlight and water repelling

bp93malibu

I am keeping my 1992 Euro F3 on the water at Dale Hollow. There is no roof on the slip and the boat has taken quite a beating from the sun this summer. I still have the original cover on the boat and i am looking to upgrade. What is the best cover for UV protection against fading?

Evolution makes boat covers. I don't think anyone else does. I really don't. Btw, black looks really cool, but it's not. Don't do it. While searching the boat boneyards for a used boat, I noticed that almost every black cover had colored any light colored vinyl it touched.

I am keeping my 1992 Euro F3 on the water at Dale Hollow. There is no roof on the slip and the boat has taken quite a beating from the sun this summer. I still have the original cover on the boat and i am looking to upgrade. What is the best cover for UV protection against fading?

I'll be in the search soon for my 93 skier, and I think it is same hull as yours. I'll follow this one ;-) Or PM me with any good hints, etc.?

• 1 month later...

I'll be in the search soon for my 93 skier, and I think it is same hull as yours. I'll follow this one ;-) Or PM me with any good hints, etc.?

I ended getting the cover made by Sunrella. It's pretty thick and keeps the water out very well. I think I paid around $400 for mine.

For clarification, Sunbrella is a material. And in my opinion the best one out there for outdoor fabrics. Breathable and waterproof, as long as the water doesn't pool.

Most covermakers, Westland, Covercraft, EVO, use it or at least have the option to use it. Of course it costs the most.

Like Bretski said Sunbrella is a great fabric to use. It is solution dyed acrylic which is why it breathes but be sure that the water cannot pool or it will leak through. It is water repellent, not resistant. Once a season you can re-coat the cover with 303 aerospace protectant to keep the water repellent properties of the fabric in top shape.

My boat cover is Black Sunbrella and is stored outside so I made an additional shade cloth awning that is attached from poles at the stern up to another cross brace at the tower then it tapers down to the bow cross brace. I ran a data logger in the boat over the weekend to see how much difference it made to heat inside the boat and with an outside temp of 90ºf without the shade cloth the inside got to 135ºf, and with the shade sail it only got to 98ºf so well worth the small expense and time to make it. Now I know it works I am going to fabricate the cross braces from aluminium and sew rope it the shade cloth so I can use sail track to attach it the alloy.

Here's a couple of pictures of it all together

13lc.jpg

r3od.jpg