Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 VTX Spotted on boat trader

newtoBU

ok, since this thread is pretty much all about the 2014 Malibu line up, what does everybody think about Malibu dropping the ls3 "Corvette" motor for marine power?!

Well, I think it is an interesting move and has me scratching my head. I think Malibu wants to move towards an engine that is "theirs". MC has Ilmor and Nautique has PCM. I think Malibu wants their engine brand as well. Or it could simply be a cost cutting measure. I don't know enough about Marine Power to know if it is a good or bad move.

Well, I think it is an interesting move and has me scratching my head. I think Malibu wants to move towards an engine that is "theirs". MC has Ilmor and Nautique has PCM. I think Malibu wants their engine brand as well. Or it could simply be a cost cutting measure. I don't know enough about Marine Power to know if it is a good or bad move.

PCMs go in Centurion, Tige' and perhaps others btw. Nautique doesn't "have" them,

I dont see any bungee's on those forks?

You are correct. They went to a clamp style v. bungee. It's pretty nice, actually. I think the clamps hold better and look better than the bungees. Just cleaner looking and more functional when on the water. Slip the board in and pull the lever down v. wrapping with the bungee while hanging off of the boat.

You are correct. They went to a clamp style v. bungee. It's pretty nice, actually. I think the clamps hold better and look better than the bungees. Just cleaner looking and more functional when on the water. Slip the board in and pull the lever down v. wrapping with the bungee while hanging off of the boat.

it's pull down two levers, and release two levers, per rack. About the same work as bungees. Not sure they hold any better, I've seen them lose boards, and cost wise they are ridiculous. They also are far too bulky.

I'm pretty sure both types are available. I have a surfboard that is so soft a tension hold would dent in 1 use.

You are right, the tension could dent some surf boards. I would agree that it works better with wake boards and thin surfboards. I have a Ronix surfboard and my old Mastercraft with this design worked well. But, if the pads were dirty, it would leave marks on the padding of the surfboard.

it's pull down two levers, and release two levers, per rack. About the same work as bungees. Not sure they hold any better, I've seen them lose boards, and cost wise they are ridiculous. They also are far too bulky.

Sorry, that is what I meant. 1 lever per side on each rack. And they are more bulky considering the springs/mechanisms, but to me they are more appealing. I do appreciate the size of my bungee racks, though. They are much smaller than my old Mastercraft clamps.

It's a matter of opinion for Malibu owners and I am glad to see an option for it. I personally like it but others will not. Kudos to Malibu for expanding buyer's options.

PCMs go in Centurion, Tige' and perhaps others btw. Nautique doesn't "have" them,

I understand that. Tige has switched again, this time to indmar. My point was that I think Malibu is looking to separate itself from the other brands that also use indmar so they can say theirs is different or better, like mc does with ilmor.

I understand that. Tige has switched again, this time to indmar. My point was that I think Malibu is looking to separate itself from the other brands that also use indmar so they can say theirs is different or better, like mc does with ilmor.

If you understand that then why did you say that Nautique "has" PCM when they're found in numerous other lines?

MC switching to Ilmor had little to do with attempting to "seperate" itself from other brands, btw. ILMOR has been around a long time, MC had worked with Indmar a very long time and clearly never switched until MC essentially shut down and avoided bankruptcy by the skin of its teeth then emerged with a business partnership with a company with common ownership of mastercraft.