Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This man saved me $300.

UpperleftWake

A relaxing Wednesday night surf session almost turned into an electronic equipment nightmare; luckily for me the quick cat-like-sense of Vince (Wakesetter67) did me a solid as my back was turned aboard his VLX. After transitioning from Wakesurfing to Wakeboarding, I tend to forgot that my GoPro, which is on a suction cup mount, is still mounted on the starboard gunnel and this time it almost came back to bite me in the rump. As the Wakeboarder got in the water the line somehow managed to get under what I thought was a secure mount and ripped the GoPro right off his VLX. Fortunately for me though, Vince heard the splash and in the man went in without hesitation. Seven-nine feet down in the murky Willamette River, Vince made contact with the 86'd GoPro and snagged it before it would be forever lost in the waters. I still had my 7D on my hip and when the man emerged, I snapped this picture which pretty much sums up the whole situation; shock.

IMG_7643_zpsbdf32ad6.jpg

As you can clearly see, my boneheaded self did not have the backdoor floaty attached because I like to see what I am capturing (LCD screen on) when we ride. What's the lesson learned? Position the GoPro the way I like, and then simply change to a floaty backdoor when getting ready to be in motion. Another preventative measure I will take is fastening some more floatation material to the suction cup mount, such as a key-mount floaty found on most of y'alls boat keys. Learn from my rookie mistake!

Oh yeah, here's Vince getting swallowed whole by his creation prior to this fiasco.

IMG_7631_zps1d32d4d9.jpg

• Like 2

you could also go ghetto style like me and zip tie a bunch of those free keyfob floaties to the suction cup stalk. Oh and also I have a snowboard leash around it that I clip with a caribiner to the d ring on the back....

• Like 2

you could also go ghetto style like me and zip tie a bunch of those free keyfob floaties to the suction cup stalk. Oh and also I have a snowboard leash around it that I clip with a caribiner to the d ring on the back....

Then what would Vince do??

Leash works for me. LIke SD, I don't have a Vince on board and everyone will likely just say oopps and watch $300 disappear to the bottom of the lake.

Lately I have been using the roll bar mount to my tower and it seems pretty secure.

Well, I don't carry a Vince on board, so I've had to improvise.

So let me get this straight.....You don't have a malibu boat, you don't have a Vince on your boat....YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

totally messin with you!!!

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 2

How could you hold your breath that long??

Not 79, but seven-to-nine feet approximately. The man would be an absolute legend if he plunged to 79 feet and returned with GoPro. Heck, I would expect him surface with more than one cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who was 'that guy'.

Edited by MCObray
  • Like 2

I used a stainless steel tether for my rear mount. Normally I just use my tether mount.

Floats are a great idea...but if it falls off well before you notice it you'll likely never find the camera again anyway.

On my surfboard mount I put stainless steel leader to the mount and I also tether the float to the go pro.

Also use a rubber wrist band to go over the go pro case so it doesn't come open.

Tethers sometimes need to be taped on so they don't fly around and become noisy.

wow that's awesome, especially the picture. A perfect capture of an "oh sh*t" moment. great that he was able to spot it, get down to the bottom and nab it!

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • Like 1

Something along the lines of how he attaches his stupid sperry's becuase they float. Sounds about right.

Well looky here. Bobby Bright popped in a non-surf gate related thread.

Well looky here. Bobby Bright popped in a non-surf gate related thread.

Whatch yourself boy. I been on these forums talking about things before surfgate was ever inveneted and you were still s***tin your britches.

• Like 2