Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POST YOUR BAREFOOT VIDEOS HERE

JB-FOOT

So I don't have a video but was pretty stoked to pull this off last night!

NoHands.jpg

Tricky

I know, I am the one that complained about pics not being videos....But I gotta admit... this is a non pro doing a cool trick.....so I will let you slide.... :cheers:

Thanks for sharing!

JB-Foot

Os it just the audio or is that a horrible misfire?

The boat runs flawlessly. no misfires on the Monsoon in my buddies boat.....but it was pretty horrible audio in this video....sorry....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure, I'll go.

Both of these were taken 24 October 13. First ski trip with my Sony ActionCam on my head. I had no idea what would happen if I fell (I didn't post that one), but everything worked out great. It just slips off my head, and I have two floats on it. It's usually within a few feet of me after I figure out where I am.

75' rope, '04 Response, ~42 MPH. Stepped off an old pair ski. The first one was a little choppy, but I still got my head down to get some video of my feet. That alone was interesting, trying to crane my neck and open my arms so the camera could see. Nothing special, except it thrills me every time I step off!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

only have pictures JB and they're old 1970 and 1984.

those were the days.....wearing just a life vest and a bathing suit, offering absolutely no protection with the "BOYS" just waiting to get slammed, right before the water enema happened at the end of the run.....Oh yeah.....

those were the days.....wearing just a life vest and a bathing suit, offering absolutely no protection with the "BOYS" just waiting to get slammed, right before the water enema happened at the end of the run.....Oh yeah.....

Hmmmm. It seems like it still might be the days here, then. Can't wait to try out the suit I got for Christmas so it won't be those days anymore.

I did get a Casad BF shortie, PE rope, and a B I starts handle for Christmas in 1989 after injuring my ankles on a deepwater start in rough water the previous summer. Let go of the handle and it slingshot through my legs and feet before i reached my glide. Tore up my ankles pretty good.

Have lots of pictures on an older computer that won't start no more. Perhaps 2000 to 2007.

I did get a Casad BF shortie, PE rope, and a B I starts handle for Christmas in 1989 after injuring my ankles on a deepwater start in rough water the previous summer. Let go of the handle and it slingshot through my legs and feet before i reached my glide. Tore up my ankles pretty good.

Have lots of pictures on an older computer that won't start no more. Perhaps 2000 to 2007.

John

what do/did you think you were going to do with the BI Starts handle?

I am guessing you think it is for frontwards deep starts....which it is NOT!

It had padded handle ends and padded plastic encapsulated rope which the the lack of caused a good percent of my ankle injuries. Also I thought belly tumble turn back starts were in my future.

• 3 months later...

Finally got to try the new boom last week. Wow, it's sooooo much easier this way, especially including the suit. In fact, it was so easy, I decided to lift a foot (which I have never tried before). We had some rollers coming off the bay that kept it from being real smooth, but I had a blast. Can't wait to go again.

This is my third run on the boom. Eastbound pass.

Westbound pass.

• Like 1

Finally got to try the new boom last week. Wow, it's sooooo much easier this way, especially including the suit. In fact, it was so easy, I decided to lift a foot (which I have never tried before). We had some rollers coming off the bay that kept it from being real smooth, but I had a blast. Can't wait to go again.

This is my third run on the boom. Eastbound pass.

Westbound pass.

Gary

Fantastic., glad you are happy with the new boom

Now for a few tips...

1st off,, get rid of the baseball grip, you are not slalom skiing...LOL BOTH palms Down and Relax your grip!

2nd... either loosen your outside cable or tighten your inside boom cable about a 1/4" because under strain you can see the inside cable is flapping around...this change in cable length will put more even strain on both cables

3rd, You ski well enough to DITCH the knees together and feet wide apart stance while you are up and riding...Instead, once you are up and standing open your knees up and get your feet directly underneath of your knees and hips all in alignment...

4th...You are favoring your left leg and keeping that one straighter and more angled to the left than your right leg....Instead work on both feet, legs, ankles, being symmetrically the same....in other words you need a more neutral stance,,,

And last but not least....5th,,,,when you go to plant your feet from your 3 point stance, you need to relax and sit up more and stop leaning back, it is causing you to stab your feet in the water, this results in an UN-controlled stand up with only a 50/50 chance of getting up, especially in rougher water....

Now that you have your boom, hold on DIRECTLY to it without the 5 foot handle and PRACTICE the new techniques until it becomes boring for you.., then move to the short line, and then to the long line.....

JB-

I'll address your points in order.

1. Wow, that's been my ski grip for 47 years now. I'll try to make the change, but don't be surprised to see me accidentally use it again.

2. I'll check the cable, but it's pretty good when holding the handle. Using the rope on the end will cause a little slack on the inner cable.

3. I have never barefooted knees together, and I wanted to practice it since it is key to the sitting/standing maneuver. It felt as strange as it looks. I kept contemplating sitting, but the water still seemed a bit rough for me to zip up me spine and do it.

4. The left leg was mostly out on the last pass because of the swell that was perpendicular to the path. I actually had the left foot in front of the right one to take the action. That was a good tip, and it works great. At that point I was getting exhausted, and was mostly just trying to finish the run.

5. Now you have gotten to the hard part. I definitely have too much bounce when I sit, and that's the part that's new to me. I'll try it without the rope next time. Hopefully the water will be smooth....

Thanks for the input!

JB-

I'll address your points in order.

1. Wow, that's been my ski grip for 47 years now. I'll try to make the change, but don't be surprised to see me accidentally use it again.

2. I'll check the cable, but it's pretty good when holding the handle. Using the rope on the end will cause a little slack on the inner cable.

3. I have never barefooted knees together, and I wanted to practice it since it is key to the sitting/standing maneuver. It felt as strange as it looks. I kept contemplating sitting, but the water still seemed a bit rough for me to zip up me spine and do it.

4. The left leg was mostly out on the last pass because of the swell that was perpendicular to the path. I actually had the left foot in front of the right one to take the action. That was a good tip, and it works great. At that point I was getting exhausted, and was mostly just trying to finish the run.

5. Now you have gotten to the hard part. I definitely have too much bounce when I sit, and that's the part that's new to me. I'll try it without the rope next time. Hopefully the water will be smooth....

Thanks for the input!

LOSE THE BASEBALL GRIP!

Let me Repeat that...LOSE the baseball grip.....

Use the baseball grip when you are on a stick.....otherwise....it is PALMS DOWN! :Doh:

Cable in video, did you see what I was talking about? with the little bit of flapping going on?

It was not too bad, but I noticed it just the same....

Knees together has its place for beginners, as it keep you a little safer and puts more spray to the sides, but it is not as efficient to ski that way...and barefooting is ALL about efficiency! Glide and Be ONE with the water, don't fight it or leverage against it as we do on a slalom stick....Glad to know you "Was just tryin` sumpin` new"....now stop it!!! :lol:

You wont be able to sit very easily in a three point holding directly on the boom, because your arms will be higher which in turn will cause a pull from a higher position which will cause your feet to be heavier in the water and keeping you from EVER SO GENTLY laying them on the water....Unless your abs are made of steel,

Look at this video and see how far forward i am when I stand up and am sitting down...see how my feet are sliding and gliding along the water, if you allow too much weight to transfer to your feet and keep your feet and ankles stiff, then a stabbing and immediate jerk back towards your body will happen....

Get forward and get controlled and stand up when YOU want to as slow as YOU want to.....,don't be at the mercy of speed and luck

Edited by JB-FOOT

justgary...

And look at the hand position (nice loose grip and I hold by my fingers and not a tight death grip that would just tire out my forearms quicker...)

And check out the feet and leg position...both while doing a 1 foot and while wake crossing....

This is at 41 mph with a BFI 80' barefoot line and a 5' handle (total 85') with an Acme 1257 Prop (3 blade, 13 x 14, 0.135 cup)

Boat is only turning 3700 rpm at 41mph....

Edited by JB-FOOT

justgary

Here Was my first run of this season three weeks ago!

Lol.....What not to DO....lol...

You can hear all the support from crew, I always aim to please....

Edited by Dare2goBare