Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POST YOUR BAREFOOT VIDEOS HERE

JB-FOOT

Here's one from last weekend, about half way thru the run.  Crossed a little fishing boat wake in the first few seconds of the vid.  Towards the end my feet were burning!  Tried to go 1 foot for a bit and lost it, but I was about gassed anyway.  This is on a friend's 2004 23LSV, at about 1 in the afternoon, 38mph.  Amazing water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonpPS_uAYw

Edited by Michigan boarder
27 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Here's one from last weekend, about half way thru the run.  Crossed a little fishing boat wake in the first few seconds of the vid.  Towards the end my feet were burning!  Tried to go 1 foot for a bit and lost it, but I was about gassed anyway.  This is on a friend's 2004 23LSV, at about 1 in the afternoon, 38mph.  Amazing water.

It's always good to see other people footin' behind v-drives, keeps me from feeling like a lone wolf.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jaciche said:

It's always good to see other people footin' behind v-drives, keeps me from feeling like a lone wolf.

It pulled pretty nice!  But that wake was big, no crossing it for me (not yet).

Boating with those guys is a whole different experience.  For example, in that vid there is a guy on the gunnel.  Illegal, but also not smart at all.  Or even necessary, there is no obstructed view.  The driver was instructed to pull me at 42.  After we were done I said it felt a little soft and he said "yeah, 42 is just too fast, that's crazy.  So I kept it at 38".  Wakeboarding is never in a straight line.  Thank god he has perfect pass.  Surfing is the same, when you are in the water waiting for tension he is fiddling with the radio, or a dozen other things, then gives too much tension and you lose the board, etc.  I simply go to the helm anytime we are on the boat and take over, but at some point I need a pull!

21 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

It pulled pretty nice!  But that wake was big, no crossing it for me (not yet).

Boating with those guys is a whole different experience.  For example, in that vid there is a guy on the gunnel.  Illegal, but also not smart at all.  Or even necessary, there is no obstructed view.  The driver was instructed to pull me at 42.  After we were done I said it felt a little soft and he said "yeah, 42 is just too fast, that's crazy.  So I kept it at 38".  Wakeboarding is never in a straight line.  Thank god he has perfect pass.  Surfing is the same, when you are in the water waiting for tension he is fiddling with the radio, or a dozen other things, then gives too much tension and you lose the board, etc.  I simply go to the helm anytime we are on the boat and take over, but at some point I need a pull!

42 is where it’s at, can alternate one foot one hand switches over and over the whole way down canal, at 38 I’m down as soon as I lift my foot 

i coukd only do toe holds at the higher speeds, no towers back then and very few booms 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Sixball said:

I am not going to sleep for A week just thinking how much water would be up my nose!  Nice job!

It doesn’t do that, not only are their bodies stiff, the head is cocked way way back to maintain that body posture with toes on rope legs straight , essentially in the beginning your dragging on crown of head and lower back/but, and as you sit up and move head and chest forward the water is no longer going over face/chin.  Basically the chin blocks it at the start , if you try to look up at boat during start , yes you will drown, you don’t even look at boat as rope goes tight, it’s all voice and you looking at sky when you oral signal then head goes back super hard and as far as you can bend neck backwards 

when you fall at 42 it will flip your eyelids up and you fall so hard  head over heals flipping multiple times (there’s a name for the back of  head almost touching your heals), but you still don’t get water really , no more than a wakeboard fall

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2

I have footed its been maybe seven years now. I am not good but I wanted to do it. A need to experience it. I do know how to fall. ;)  I never thought footing would use so many different mussels then slalom skiing.  I think the first time I got up I was beat at something like an 1/8 mile. I knew I needed to be way back when I dropped off. I was not back enough and well you know.  

2 minutes ago, Sixball said:

I never thought footing would use so many different mussels then slalom skiing.  

Funny, that is what we barefooters say about slalom skiing. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Nice Run, Nice water for the afternoon,  nice dismount. ... lol....You got to Luv it when ya catch a toe.  

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Coolest part of footing is the teaching from others, our LA knowledge cam straight frim William Farrell before he moved in the 80’s, 

everything is technical or you fail, like deep long  line (though boom almost exactly same but that angle up makes it easy and no cheek out of wake 1st  no bringing toes on rope to you bending knees before you tske toes off rope )  They told me 7 steps to do exactly as taught and I got up 1st try though I had been dropping ski for 3 months 

toe holds lean forward ( definetly not intuitive) and  toe holds 1st try with no safety release , totally different from the tall towers of today vs ski pylon

Edited by granddaddy55
23 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Nice looking run, and nice water.  One think you might consider is narrowing up your stance to closer to shoulder width apart (and knees a little inside that to keep spray heading out) - it'll give you an easier/more efficient glide.  Wider stances use more muscles and will gas you out quicker.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dare2goBare said:

Nice Run, Nice water for the afternoon,  nice dismount. ... lol....You got to Luv it when ya catch a toe.  

:thumbup:

That was actually one of the least dramatic falls I've ever had, I was kind of disappointed.  I was just spent, it was a solid 2 minutes of footing and my 3rd time out for the year.  I figured screw it, might as well try 1 foot because I'm going to go down soon anyway.  In hindsight I should have gone for a little butt slide break, but I was afraid the driver would throttle down.

1 minute ago, TomH said:

Nice looking run, and nice water.  One think you might consider is narrowing up your stance to closer to shoulder width apart (and knees a little inside that to keep spray heading out) - it'll give you an easier/more efficient glide.  Wider stances use more muscles and will gas you out quicker.

Good points, thank you!  That was my 21st successful long line run ever, and only my 3rd for the season (3 for 3 this year).  I learned to foot on 15 second runs over rough water at ski shows - rollers, white caps, it didn't matter we have a couple hundred people that come out to watch the show and footing is either going to happen or great falls will happen.  Here's me last year refusing to let the rollers win (notice the line tension) while my partner said "yeah, no thanks"59774a49abe0b_2017wipeoutatMakeaWish.jpg.d7d94f9dc9c74a95a08c863be9e12abc.jpg

• Like 1

Yea, I know all about show ski footing - white caps and rollers are the only time we fight over a spot inside the wake - otherwise we give those to the light kids that won't sink through the triple's bubbles.  We've always had a no skis past the back dock rule, either you're footing by then or you let go to keep the debris out of the show course.  The team I ski with (although I'm taking this year off) is lucky enough to be on a non-public lake though, so conditions are usually pretty good.  

I'm impressed you've got a tally going of successes - that's awesome.

8 minutes ago, TomH said:

Yea, I know all about show ski footing - white caps and rollers are the only time we fight over a spot inside the wake - otherwise we give those to the light kids that won't sink through the triple's bubbles.  We've always had a no skis past the back dock rule, either you're footing by then or you let go to keep the debris out of the show course.  The team I ski with (although I'm taking this year off) is lucky enough to be on a non-public lake though, so conditions are usually pretty good.  

I'm impressed you've got a tally going of successes - that's awesome.

That's a good rule!  Except I often found myself to be the debris, while an opening pyramid was waiting for me to swim to shore.  I only was with the team for 1 show this year, but have heard we have some pretty good newbs getting into it.

The team and I kept count last year, it was fun.  I only had 2 good runs during shows, once at invitationals (first pic) and once at our final show (second pic).  It's great having a professional photographer thru it all!

2017 footing at Invitationals.jpg

2017 footing at Big Pine Island.jpg

• Like 1

At least human debris can swim out of the way:lol:.  When there's skis in the course, the crowd gets to watch boats idling around picking up stuff before other stuff can run

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TomH said:

At least human debris can swim out of the way:lol:.  When there's skis in the course, the crowd gets to watch boats idling around picking up stuff before other stuff can run

Yep.  In that one where I'm falling with my buddy skiing by I ended up holding on a bit too long which resulted in 3 full rotation cartwheels, best wipeout ever.  It took me a good 3 or 4 seconds, head swiveling around, trying to figure out which way is shore and what the heck just happened.  I was like 60 feet from the start dock and they were laughing at me and I think I only put it together because they started saying "swim THAT way!" while pointing to shore.

I have another good show ski story.  We were at invitationals, competing with 2 or 3 other teams.  So it is really important to hit every trick right on.  We are setting up for one act show, and I am the footer (6 person 3 tier pyramid, 1 footer, 1 jumper) all pulling at like 28mph or something.  I had only been successful at it once during practice, otherwise I fell every time.  The jumper is on my left, pyramid people are on the right.  We are on the start dock, pyramid is scrambling to get everyone ready and the jumper (who I don't know well, he was kind of off and on the team) says to me "You got this man" and I reply "Yeah, no problem.  Jill (show director) told me to leave one ski on though, better off half-footing and half-skiing than falling".  He shakes his head, looks forward, then at me and says "Did you come here to foot or to do what Jill says?", and kind of laugh, then pretty quickly say "You're right - I came here to foot today and that's what I'm doing".  Fist bump, and ropes start unrolling.  I freaking nailed it, footed right thru the tsunami/waterboarding.  Lots of hi 5's, even from Jill.  I think that was successful footing #7 or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's one from New Year's Day, a bunch of us hit the water from the Grand City Show Skiers team in our annual event.  Air temp 28, water temp 34.  I had to drop at the end, then the boat quit, etc.  Freaking cold man!