Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POST YOUR BAREFOOT VIDEOS HERE

JB-FOOT

We had another show tonight, and unfortunately when completing the circle I went into 3 point over the rollers but the driver thought I was going down and backed off the throttle.  Dipped a foot and over my heels I went.  But - I jumped out of both skis and stuck it well to start, right in some chop, which felt awesome.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

We had another show tonight, and unfortunately when completing the circle I went into 3 point over the rollers but the driver thought I was going down and backed off the throttle.  Dipped a foot and over my heels I went.  But - I jumped out of both skis and stuck it well to start, right in some chop, which felt awesome.

I'm not sure that a 3 point stance will help too much since it may help launch you.  With that amount of chop you are always in a defensive posture anyway.  It's always so great to find smooth water after running through chop since you can just stand up and enjoy the ride.  In your case in a show, that probably never happens.

Maybe you can sit in the boat with the driver and run the course a few times so you can show him where and why you are having trouble.  I'm sure he can find a way to turn differently so that your wake is presented to you in a more manageable way.  If he doesn't barefoot, he's probably wondering what the big deal is anyway since the skiers never complain.  In other words, you are doing everything you can.  It's time for the driver to do his job and recognize that he can pull you better.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'm not sure that a 3 point stance will help too much since it may help launch you.  With that amount of chop you are always in a defensive posture anyway.  It's always so great to find smooth water after running through chop since you can just stand up and enjoy the ride.  In your case in a show, that probably never happens.

Maybe you can sit in the boat with the driver and run the course a few times so you can show him where and why you are having trouble.  I'm sure he can find a way to turn differently so that your wake is presented to you in a more manageable way.  If he doesn't barefoot, he's probably wondering what the big deal is anyway since the skiers never complain.  In other words, you are doing everything you can.  It's time for the driver to do his job and recognize that he can pull you better.

He is a 10 year veteran show skier, never footed but has seen it done and has built many bases, doubles, etc.  Great teammate, smart, organized, etc.  This is his first year as a driver (in his 60's, leg injury last year), so he's still learning.  He is getting coached by another skier that was previously a driver and a footer and pulled circles so they are on it.  When we make a successful run, he is just as happy to see me do it as I am to complete it, we share some pretty big smiles and attaboys.  His prior pulls have been really great so we'll get there with some discussions.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2019 at 5:55 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Video from the same show, I'm closest to the shore side.

And then there were THREE... LOL..LOL... Way to go Boys. .. Oh thd Water........👍👍👍

• 3 weeks later...

These were taken on my home lake.  We had a show 2 blocks from my house, then a party afterwards, had a fantastic night.  Pics not vids, but the act is the boat towing me, me with a strap towing a jumper.  Dock start for me, then I brace hard and dock start for the jumper.  That's the hardest part, the boat is pulling me forward and the skier is pulling me backwards from a dead stop.  While being towed by me she goes over the jump, then we circle around and I step out of my skis and foot.  It's a pretty impressive act.

2019 Bear Lake Carissa.jpg

2019 Bear Lake 2.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, footndale said:

Time to forget your skis and just do a flyer. You will want a safety harness though.  :rofl:

Fliers are on deck for next year!  38 successful runs for me so far to date, shows are over and I'm done for the year now.  Next up slalom skiing to end the season.

• Like 3

Flyers are fun and really no harder than a deep water so long as your driver doesn't hate you.  Just make sure you don't try to stand until you clear the stern roller if you're behind a twin or triple rig, or you'll be doing a second flyer.....(and that one will be face first...).  The inboards don't have much of a bump though, so would recommend starting with one of those.  Once you master the dock flyer, then you can start going off towers, ladders or the jump for additional fun, and add some flips in.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, footndale said:

I'm talking about the back breaker, footer/jump combo. Flyer for that.

Oh that would be horrible....(or horribly fun to watch someone else do it....:rofl:).  

14 minutes ago, footndale said:

I'm talking about the back breaker, footer/jump combo. Flyer for that.

So let me understand this right.....I go over the jump and kick the skis off in mid air and land footing?

1 minute ago, Michigan boarder said:

So let me understand this right.....I go over the jump and kick the skis off in mid air and land footing?

Well if you could do that, you would be few that could. (Without jumper)

This is what I meant. 

53 minutes ago, footndale said:

Well if you could do that, you would be few that could. (Without jumper)

This is what I meant. 

Not as bad as I was picturing in my head.  The slow drag waiting for the sliders probably sucks though.  I'll still stick with a step-off if I'm going to lead any back-breakers though.  I wonder how many dumb ideas....err show acts... we've come up with at the bar/beer tent over the years for our team.  I think one of the diciest was one we called the hangman (or hang-Dan for one of the jumpers in it) where one of our jumpers did a front flip over the other jumper doing a heli.  The heli had to be slightly longer on the rope and run a low handle-pass heli outside-in, while the front flip went high and inside-out.  That one took a good pinner, as the flip could snag the heli rope (hence the name).  They did that one in a couple tournaments and we've since retired it.

• Like 1

I did a jump clinic last weekend locally with MSU, GVSU and WMU.  There were about 20 or so college age, three event skiers and me the one old guy.  Prior to my jumps (first time over the jump since my first ever 3 attempts in 2016) I was talking about a front flip.  After 7 unsuccessful attempts at landing a regular jump, and one attempt that I actually landed but lost a ski in the process and slalomed in, I have a LOT of respect for that jump.  There are a lot of things that can go wrong.  These guys/girls were all working on distance jumps, which is challenging enough, put any kind of invert in there and I imagine it getting weird.  Put two over each other in there, and that's pretty feaky.  But pretty cool too.  I'm still down for the front flip next year, ride overs in a show are boring.

• Like 2
On 8/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, Michigan boarder said:

Sounds good to me.... Great Entertainment  no Doubt!   😂

• 2 weeks later...