Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to convince your divorce attorney wife that.........you need....

Slayer

Just out of curiosity for those sharing couples, when did you first pool your money. And yes, I always take financial and relationship advice from the internet. ;)

We got married when we were 21 and still in school - both working and going to school in the evenings or partial days. To say we pooled our money would imply there was something to "pool", so it was more like we "puddled" our money.

We have always had a joint checking and savings. We have bills and we pay them. We have savings and it is ours. My bonus is our bonus. Her raise is our raise.

We made the decision for our kids that she would stay home with them for a period of time until the youngest started school. Then she went to work for a school to have summers and school holidays off. That has proven to be a great decision as it was great for our kids and family. Through it all, we dealt with the financial ups and downs as a team and jointly decided what was most important for "us". This has worked well for 33 years.

• Like 3

does this mean when you come to the burg to visit me, she is now coming with you?!?

If I come to the burg, it will be me only. Or, at least that's what I think now. :dontknow: I could use a barefoot lesson?

i go away for 2 days and look what happened.

Yeah....crazy, huh? Must be winter on TMC.

What is that, his wife got on the board or he got the ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife had apparently reading this thread with great enjoyment over a period of a few days. And yes....got the ok.

We got married when we were 21 and still in school - both working and going to school in the evenings or partial days. To say we pooled our money would imply there was something to "pool", so it was more like we "puddled" our money.

We have always had a joint checking and savings. We have bills and we pay them. We have savings and it is ours. My bonus is our bonus. Her raise is our raise.

We made the decision for our kids that she would stay home with them for a period of time until the youngest started school. Then she went to work for a school to have summers and school holidays off. That has proven to be a great decision as it was great for our kids and family. Through it all, we dealt with the financial ups and downs as a team and jointly decided what was most important for "us". This has worked well for 33 years.

That's great! My wife and I operate the same way and for us, it works well.

Oh I get it, I had to get the wife's permission to get the new one. Little things are good, but something like a car or boat, yes, discussions take place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The discussions over major purchases that never take place . . . . . almost always end badly.

Same thing for us. Regardless of the source of income, all decisions are made jointly. We are each unique and have our priorities, most of which match, but we recognize in each other that we are not bookends and will simply not bend on certain things. That's what makes it tough sometimes, but in the end we have each other's and the family's best interest in mind.

In our case, we met in college, on and off, then married in our mid 20's, and bought a lake house that needed serious remodeling. I think that process really helped us figure out how to work together. She climbed a pretty steep ladder pretty quickly, but quit at age 30 when we started a family. She does some freelance jobs, but it's less than 10% of our household income. Even with that, her opinion carries equal weight with mine for almost every decision. I'll have a larger influence on a car/boat/tools decisions, she'll have a larger influence on the computer/furniture/vacations decisions. It works well and money/purchases is the last thing we'll argue about.

Otherwise my financial plan is simple: I'll make as much money as possible, she'll spend and invest it, and every now and then I'll ask for a twenty.

BD, the "discussions" or the "major purchases"? Which one should Be left out?

Either leave them both out or both in, but unbalance that equation, and Mrs. Inland will be working some OT, all billable.

• 2 months later...