Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swapped the XM9's for the new SXT9's

Bobby Light

Those speakers are sweet! If/when I replace ours, those are what I want! Hearing the sound 70' back is cool for the rider, but sucks for everyone in the boat.

And what are you hoping would change for the passengers, going from an 8" HLCD to an 8" coax? The near-field SQ will be better, but loud is loud and that can be controlled by the volume dial.If your goals have shifted from projecting to a wake boarder, then make the change in speaker technology, but coaxials can and will still be loud to the passengers when the volume is turned up. If your goal is to still project to the rider, you will lose some projection if you move away from HLCDs, but little will change for the passengers in the boat.

Those speakers are sweet! If/when I replace ours, those are what I want! Hearing the sound 70' back is cool for the rider, but sucks for everyone in the boat.

And what are you hoping would change for the passengers, going from an 8" HLCD to an 8" coax? The near-field SQ will be better, but loud is loud and that can be controlled by the volume dial.If your goals have shifted from projecting to a wake boarder, then make the change in speaker technology, but coaxials can and will still be loud to the passengers when the volume is turned up. If your goal is to still project to the rider, you will lose some projection if you move away from HLCDs, but little will change for the passengers in the boat.

I don't really care about sound to the rider anymore...I'm the only one who wakeboards in our group and would rather have good sound with some mid-bass to the surfers. If these are like the 6" surf speakers, but with more mid-bass they would be perfect for our application

Sent from my T.E.D. 'Toilet Entertainment Device'

Edited by jetskipro550
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that my ears have a few hours logged with these speakers I will pass my judgment. I heard them first on Bobby's boat which is kind of Jaded. That guys stereo is insane. He is not the person you want to play who's bigger or more bada$$ with. It did give me an idea of what to expect. Knowing Exile has a 30 day demo I contacted Brian and had a set the next day. I had them hooked up to the boat in 15 minutes. fired up old Pandora and my ears cried. The sound was incredible. Warm, Robust, well rounded, smooth and crisp are all words I would use to describe the change. I upgraded from the 6.5`s and while they are great speakers the 9`s just rock. Wake boarders could hear them and the surfers loved them. I have o say Exile hit the mark with these. If the sound this good tuned to the 6.5 specs I cant wait till they get tuned Correctly (Calling Bobby? tune master needed). Over all I think there great. If you get a chance to hear a set give them a listen and let your ears decide. these are puppy approved!

2013-08-23171653_zps992fa52f.jpg

How are you guys powering these?

I'm pushing 125 each to my 4 SXT65's and it seems like a pretty good match. I'm guessing that would be underpowered for these new speakers.

Pushing them with a harpoon.

How are you guys powering these?

I'm pushing 125 each to my 4 SXT65's and it seems like a pretty good match. I'm guessing that would be underpowered for these new speakers.

Hey I thought you put your foot down and said you were never messing with your stereo ever again! Don't do it man! Stay strong!

Hey I thought you put your foot down and said you were never messing with your stereo ever again! Don't do it man! Stay strong!

My foot is still down. :) I paid $375/pair for my SXT65's. $900/pair is a hard pill to swallow...even if I sold my SXT65's for what I have into them (doubtful), that's still a $1050 upgrade.