Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer bunks...carpet vs. slides vs. glides vs. slicks

What is your preferred trailer bunk covering? carpet? slides? glides? slicks? Got a favorite type or brand? Anyone try replacing their wood bunks with composite deck boards? Anyone try using Rhinoliner or Duraliner on their trailer?

carpet from Lowes or Home Depot. I don't know about the strength of composite boards, but with as long as wood lasts, I have never seen the need based on the cost of composite. Same with teh slides. Its so easy to get the boat on the trailer, that I never saw the need.

Just did mine last summer. Some people don't like the treated lumber as it can corrode any bare metal spots. Not sure it's true but I got 10 years out of doug fir so I just used that. I purchased bunk carpet which does not have a thick backing like the stuff from HD or Lowe's easier to install less cutting had to get some carpet from lowes too, it's thicker so a little harder to wrap around wood. I also counter sunk carriage bolts from the top down rather than the lag screw that were used originally. Pre measured and built the bunks with bolts and carpet, launched the boat and with a few hand tools took the old ones off and installed new ones in about an hour. Even brought some black spray paint to touch up rock chips etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed my local plastics manufacturer has a material out that looks like it would work well for trailer bunks instead of using boards:

http://www.sawyerplastics.com/polytrons.html

I came across it when looking at the UHMW stuff for making a removeable gate and may see about using it instead of the UHMV stuff for the gate as well.

Good timing for me on this topic - I noticed the carpet ripping on my bunks and I was going to try and get this taken care of over the long weekend.

I'd thought I'd just replace the carpet but I like the idea of getting some boards and carpeting them ahead of time. I'd like to stick w/ something from Lowes or HD rather than ordering from somewhere so I can get it by the weekend, so I thought I'd reiterate the request for suggestions on exactly which carpet to get from Lowes (or Home Depot). Thanks!

I just re-did mine and bought this indoor out door carpet that was made from recycled bottles. a 10x10 sheet was like $20. I bought it at Lowe's and it comes in two colors, grey and gray.

I don't know how long it will last but seems durable.

As for the wood on trailers, PT converted to using a copper based solution versus the old arsenic. That is why you shouldn't use aluminum flashing with new PT, galvanic corrosion. I would be weary of using the plastic decking, it isn't structural. Not sure how it would hold up over time and may create pressure points at the trailer connection areas. All speculation though. If you really want to slide easily, you can get those snap trax coverings for your bunks. I think they are teflon patches. People who have to contend with shallow ramps like them. We have one ramp near us that would benefit from having those on the trailer. I can only get the boat about half way up the trailer and have to winch it, hate doing that.

Good timing for me on this topic - I noticed the carpet ripping on my bunks and I was going to try and get this taken care of over the long weekend.

I'd thought I'd just replace the carpet but I like the idea of getting some boards and carpeting them ahead of time. I'd like to stick w/ something from Lowes or HD rather than ordering from somewhere so I can get it by the weekend, so I thought I'd reiterate the request for suggestions on exactly which carpet to get from Lowes (or Home Depot). Thanks!

Carpet will be same from either Lowe's or HD, maybe different brand or something. Get some stainless staples and a good staple gun, I also used a little contact cement to help hold carpet in place while I wrapped it, not necessary but it did help. Measure twice and cut once, you should be able to measure with boat on trailer, make new bunks and be ready to install after you launch boat.