Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Course Slalom Ski

zcobrausa

I learned to slalom on an old wood Mach 1 behind a 18' Thompson bow rider with a 120hp I/o. It required a deep breath to get up when I was 16. I pretty much did not ski then for 35 years. 4 years ago I got an old 91 Supra Marauder and and bought a 69" Obrein Mission from Wiley's on clearance. I had double Wiley wraps put on it. I am 6'1" and about 200lbs. I have been free skiing for the last 3 seasons. I just bought an 04 RLXI last month and I am considering learning the course. I have been skiing at 32mph behind the Malibu. I don't know much about the ski. I bought it because it was cheap and didn't feel like dropping a lot of cash not knowing if I could still ski or still enjoy it. Will this ski be adequate to learn the course or should I get a different one? Should I get a shorter ski?

I am a bit biased towards the Radar line, but something like the 69" Senate with double Vector bindings (or could use your Wiley's) would be a good choice for you. Radar has a 2012 on clearance. This would be a more aggressive ski that would be good for both free skiing and in the course.

I'd add another vote for the Senate, or if you can find one in your size, an A1 or A2 from HO. Can usually find those at a pretty good price and they're a very forgiving ski that's easy to ride hard.

Another vote for the Senate. The A1 however, I found very unforgiving, as does everyone I ski with. The A2 is better, but more advanced than I would recommend for someone learning the course.

Fwiw, to answer the OP's original question, a 69" is fine for 32 MPH. I can't comment on an O'brien Mission as I have never skied one.

Edited by Brodie

I am learning the course too. I was 5'10" 35 years ago and now shorter. If you are still 6'1" the 69 is probably ok. As a lake skiier I normally go at 32-34 but the course is more exact (the marks don't adjust as you ski) and 29-30 is where I am learning with 15' off. I have a Radar Strada 67" with an HO monster binding on the front and a radar open toe adjustable on the back. I want to be able to get my foot out when I fall. Carl

I am learning the course too. I was 5'10" 35 years ago and now shorter. If you are still 6'1" the 69 is probably ok. As a lake skiier I normally go at 32-34 but the course is more exact (the marks don't adjust as you ski) and 29-30 is where I am learning with 15' off. I have a Radar Strada 67" with an HO monster binding on the front and a radar open toe adjustable on the back. I want to be able to get my foot out when I fall. Carl

Strada is a tournament ski no? Aren't you doing yourself a bit of a disservice skiing 29-30 on a ski that comes alive at 34+?

ahopkins22LSV

Strada is a "tournament ski", so is the A3. I ski an A3, but demo'd the Strada too. Both skis were much better than expected at slower speeds. I don't think he is doing himself a disservice skiing slower speed. I can't speak as much for the Strada because I only put 5 sets on it, but the new "tournament skis" are much different than the old. They ski surprising well at slower speeds and in chop. Is it going to ski as good at 30 as it does at 34&36? No. But it does ski very good slower and will only help him progress as he gets to 32, 34, and 36 because he won't have to change skis. He will already know how the Strada reacts.

Skis are difficult though, this is just my opinion. Someone might get on here later and say they ski terrible at slow speeds. I know if I am having a bad week or at a clinic I can slow the boat down to 32, 31 or even 30 and still have the ski react as it does at 34&36.

Another vote for the Senate. The A1 however, I found very unforgiving, as does everyone I ski with. The A2 is better, but more advanced than I would recommend for someone learning the course.

Fwiw, to answer the OP's original question, a 69" is fine for 32 MPH. I can't comment on an O'brien Mission as I have never skied one.

Really? I find the A1 way more forgiving than my Monza was, even with the slot fin. Maybe it's just because I've always been on HO though. You're right, probably more ski than a course novice needs but I have no complaints with my HO.

Edited by UWSkier

I was able to find a rep that let me try some different skis and then get the best one dialed in. At 6-2/195 I ended up with a 67.5 HO S2. It works well at slower speeds(28-32) in the course at -15. Others can she into deep short line @ 34mph. The ski is user friendly,easy to get up and allows me to ski more. It seems like there has been huge design improvements in the last couple of years. I would suggest finding a retailer that will let you demo some skis to see what will work for you. Spend a little xtra on the ski and make the most of your time.