Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How close is your prop to the trailer's prop guard?

petrie141

I might be taking my trailer in soon for a tune up and am getting a list together of things I'd like them to look at, one of which being the trailer prop guard. It seems awfully close to the prop. What's an average distance between the two? My planks and everything look fine, I trust them not to sag at all, but I still think this is a little too close.

9447656658_0b5c462854_c.jpg

Next time the boat is off the trailer...take an ice pick or screw driver and see how solid the bunks are, along with where they attach to the trailer, and the condition of the carpeting.

I might be taking my trailer in soon for a tune up and am getting a list together of things I'd like them to look at, one of which being the trailer prop guard. It seems awfully close to the prop. What's an average distance between the two? My planks and everything look fine, I trust them not to sag at all, but I still think this is a little too close.

That's about the way mine looks.

Remember, when loading and unloading the trailer should be at an angle so the guard is further from the prop at that time. As you pull the trailer out is when the two would get closer. Shouldn't have any worries about the prop striking the trailer.

• Like 2

Remember, when loading and unloading the trailer should be at an angle so the guard is further from the prop at that time. As you pull the trailer out is when the two would get closer. Shouldn't have any worries about the prop striking the trailer.

If your boat gets a little off-center in just the right conditions though you might be able to hit the frame rails with your prop.

If your boat gets a little off-center in just the right conditions though you might be able to hit the frame rails with your prop.

Been there. Did that. $100.

I always figured thats why the trailer has the guides on each side. I'm almost afraid to say it, but I haven't hit the prop guard yet.

Mine had 1/8" clearance when I bought it. Ran it for two seasons without issue. Switched to an acme prop and it didn't clear the guard (no I didn't find out the hard way). Had the guard lowered an inch by a local welding shop for $75 and it works great. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as your bunks are sound.

Mine is currently in a -1/8" state - my bunks are sagging a little (boat sits in front of the rear bunk mount) with my 14.5" prop, I had ~1/8" clearance with the original 14" prop. I will be raising / reinforcing / replacing my bunks this summer.

I always figured thats why the trailer has the guides on each side. I'm almost afraid to say it, but I haven't hit the prop guard yet.

I am not really sure how I did, but I found a paint chip off the trailer and one blade barely tweaked, so now I am much more careful if the boat starts to get off center I wait for it to come back in.

I can't believe you just did that.

And to make matters worse, our lake is getting super low this year. I'm pretty sure I'll be using the public ramp to get the boat out as the last time it got way down (3 or 4 yrs ago), we drug the prop in the sand using our beach. :Doh:

• 2 weeks later...