Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Noob here! Buying/building/repairing a wakeboarding boat

ablakes524

Hello!

To start off I've never owned a boat before so I know almost nothing about them. I've been wake boarding all summer and loving every minute of it so I have decided that I would invest in a boat for next summer. I was also thinking that I would like to make a project out of this boat by buying a cheap older Malibu and fixing it all up nice and good. I would like to cap my investment at around 10k when everything is all said and done.

I was wondering what's the best way to go about this in terms of which boat is most suitable for wake boarding, what year should it be, what engine should it have, does it need a wedge, what wake tower to go with, etc...

I found a 1995 Malibu Eschelon on craigslist thats going for $8,900. This is it's description, "1995 Malibu Eschelon - Chevy Engine 365 HP w/ 485 hrs, fuel injected, power steering, Stereo w/ speaker system installed, Teak Swim Platform. Removable back seat. Matching Malibu Trailer and mooring cover. Interior and gel coat in good condition."

Again I know nothing about boats so I can't tell a good deal from a bad one so any help or advice I can get I will take to heart.

Thanks!

That Echelon probably has more hours than that, those boats are infamous for their computers breaking and subsequently not logging any additional hours from the time it broke. Also it probably has a 265 horse engine, not 365, assuming it has the very common 5.7 mercruiser. Aside from those minor things, if it's in good shape, I don't think you'll find a much better all around good inboard for less than $10k. If it's an open bow (LX model) that's a pretty good price; if it's a closed bow that seems fair. They can make a great wakeboard, slalom, or barefoot boat all in one, I think most people that have skied them wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to a buyer on a budget. There's an article in the resources section on things to look for when buying a new boat you should look at.

I would be wary of the add....it states POWER STEERING.......that can not be a typo....but possibly a scam....

That was my INITIAL reaction to what was posted...

then I found the Ad in Craiglist.... http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/3893508559.html

Looks legit....just mayby someone else is posting for the owners....

Also, it is a CLOSED bow, and is on a lift

also looks like a split in the back of the passenger seat...

but the boat looks to be overall in great shape from the pictures....

Not sure what motor is in the boat also, can not tell if the motor box is a big block or not....from the angle....and if it is a big block, then it was 395 hp not 365....

Merc 350 Ski 250HP
Merc 350 Mag HO 265HP
Merc 350 Mag HO EFI 265hp
Merc 454 Mag EFI Tournament Ski 395hp

If it has a Mercruiser Motor, a Mercruiser SCAN TOOL can be put on the motor to VERIFY total engine hours...so not to worry whether or not the Computron is functioning....

if it comes with a trailer, you can not go wrong with that boat.....at that price....if it is a big block....I will buy it as another spare!

I have owned a 95 open bow and currently own a 94 closed bow Echelon....

I can not say enough good things about the Echelon models for skiing and barefooting.....as I have a V-drive too for everything else...

Edited by JB-FOOT

I dno't see that as being a good price honestly. I bought a 98 response in great shape for 8k with 250 hours. If you're looking to make a wakeboarding boat out of it and stay under 10, I'd look for sunsetters. Should be some out there for around that price and the space and freeboard for weighting will make a huge difference over an echelon.

I dno't see that as being a good price honestly. I bought a 98 response in great shape for 8k with 250 hours. If you're looking to make a wakeboarding boat out of it and stay under 10, I'd look for sunsetters. Should be some out there for around that price and the space and freeboard for weighting will make a huge difference over an echelon.

That boat is SOLD....I checked yesterday...So it is a MOOT point....