Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 VLX surf ballast suggestions.

Faceplant409

Getting back into boating after a while (long story) a friend and I want to give surfing a try.

Currently I have available: 750s in the rear, manual wedge, midship tank and a pair fo small sacks (250 ea??? 1 fits below now filler cushion. )

Get me started with a weight set up.

Define "made a surf rope"

You need something you aren't going to snag yourself with and without a standard handle. Very important.

For weight you need to get the boat listing. Assuming you are regular side surfing, fill that 750 locker bag and ski locker bag. Put one 250 on the port seat and another on the bow seat port side, wedge down. Start @ 11MPH and adjust from there. Speed is very important...if you don't have a speed control device (Perfect Pass or the like), get one.

Your board may hold you back as well. Wakeboard makers aren't know for making good surf boards.

Are your 750s plumbed in? If not, move one under the port side seats and fill it as much as you can while still getting the seats closed. If you put all that ballast on the surf side, drop the wedge, and tinker a bit with speed, you should be all set. I disagree on PerfectPass for surfing if you don't have it. For wakeboarding it definitely helps but surfing you don't have a rider yanking on you. Just set a reference RPM and adjust from there. For my setup, it's 2200 RPM +-100 RPM depending on crew weight. Never had a problem surfing just using the tach and wake feel.

• Like 1

We have PP.

I used an old ski rope and cut the handle down to fit 1 hand like a dog leash. The handle has a very small rope triangle. I tied big knots about every foot.

I could not get up without a 'handle' a huge knot would not do it for me...

I've been on the board several times like 5 years ago... Iirc a pal went rope less behind my boat at that point too. I just forget what we did...

Thanks!

Are your 750s plumbed in? If not, move one under the port side seats and fill it as much as you can while still getting the seats closed. If you put all that ballast on the surf side, drop the wedge, and tinker a bit with speed, you should be all set. I disagree on PerfectPass for surfing if you don't have it. For wakeboarding it definitely helps but surfing you don't have a rider yanking on you. Just set a reference RPM and adjust from there. For my setup, it's 2200 RPM +-100 RPM depending on crew weight. Never had a problem surfing just using the tach and wake feel.

Yes the 750s are plumbed...

We are heading up to New Melones for the weekend in a couple weeks and I'll experament there.. I was just looking for a beginner's recipe!

Thanks all!

P

I worked on my surf wave this weekend. I still have a little more to do but here is what worked best for my buddy who rides regular:

750 surf side rear

500 center mls

400 on surf side seat

(2) 400's in bow (it filled whole bow basically and need to get a 750 so I can push only to surf side)

150 brick sack in watchers seat

2225 +/- rpms with 1939 prop

Only me in boat