Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cant figure out how to Surf

TravisS

I have a 2003 Wakesetter DD, I have been putting down wedge, I fill the stock ballast in the center and put a 750lb bag in back and another on surf side. Going between 9-11 MPH based on GPS. I can get up fine I can play on the wave but I cant surf with out rope. Even purchased T handle rope after almost dislocated shoulder and drowned when are went though regular handle. This is driving me nuts, I cant "catch the sweet spot" for longer than a few seconds. Any suggestions?

You need more weight on the surf side and as far back as you can, you want the boat rub rail to almost touch the water. Also try to go a little bit slower but 9mph should be good. Tell everyone sitting in the boat to sit on the surf side, ideally somone sittin right on the back corner surf side. Good luck

How is your 750# bag in the rear situated? Is it in the middle? Or is it pushed more towards the surf side? If its in the middle, try to make it touch the surf side of the boat. It might be helpful to throw up some pics of the wave, your sac arrangement, and a video of your attempts. A lot of people will probably be able to give pointers once they have some visual references.

you need some weight up front on surf side, it took me a while to figure it out, also when trying i found keeping my toes near the edge of the board and really using your shoulders to lean forward and back is helpful i have on 06 i ride and put 2, 550 sacs in an L on the floor and a 750 in the bow with wedge down and the wave isnt the biggest or longest but i can surf with no rope now

I'd be willing to bet your technique is in need of as much adjustment as your wave. Got any videos or pics? Chances are you're too far back on the board and/or don't have enough weight toe-side.

• 3 years later...

Mine is the same boat. It likes weight on the Side more than the back. I stack a 750 and a 400 on the side all the way back. These older boats, at least mine and my buddy's Nautique, like a slower speed. Usually 9.8mph. Try not to go over 10mph. Board makes a big difference also. I am a big guy(6'3" 240ish) and I if I use a small skim board behind some friend's Huge "new" boat surf wakes I barely have a sweet spot. But when I use my board(Soulcraft) I have an 8-10ft sweet spot. Makes all the difference