Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ACME prop design

I was looking for a back up prop that would also have some utility should I take the 2006 VLX (Monsoon engine) to a different altitude. Currently I have the ACME 537 (13 1/2 x 16). I called ACME (888-661-ACME) to get some suggestions. They have just released a new prop that is suppose to be a killer for wakeboarding. The model #1235 (14 1/2 x 14 1/4) 4 blade with some kind of fancy cupping. I guess it has a great hole shot, decreases RPM (3-400) at 20-25 MPH and 3-5 MPH off the top end. What do you all think about the pitch and diameter? Does this performance seem reasonable? Any other prop suggestions?

Lee

I have any OJ that is 14x14. I have the LSV with the same monsoon. If help a ton on holeshot! Yahoo.gif I was told that Jerry nunn was running the same prop on his boat. But that was what OJ told me. You cant go wrong with that size of prop. The only thing I don't like about the OJ is it seams to "sing,ring" at about idle to 900 rpm. It is real annoying! Cry.gif

later

LT

Edited by lake texoma

The 857 is what Acme told me to buy late last year. It was for 'heavily weighted' boats. Haven't tried it yet. Hope to hook it up this year.

My guess is that it's going to perform similarly to the 857, but what strikes me as being a big difference between the performance of the 2 is the drop in rpms at 20-25 mph. The 857 would be the next step in the progression & would probably yield the same type of loss on the top end with a better hole shot than the 537, but it should yield higher rpms than the 537. If this new prop holds speed as well as the 857 while giving you a drop in rpms at those speeds, then it might be ideal. If you can get more specific specs on that in terms of the cup, it would be interesting to see.

FWIW, I've driven an '05 VLX set up exactly as you describe with the Monsoon & 537 at elevation, & it does need some help IMO. We boat regularly at 3k feet & up, so we just opted for the Hammerhead. :)

We (OJ PROPS) developed the XMP EDGE 14.25 X 14 LC 4-blade last year for the hardcore wakeboard v-drive boat. Jerry was one of the first riders to test this propeller. It is in use on several builders boats as the standard wakeboard propeller. I built the EDGE to provide better accelration and to be more efficent with the extra ballast in the boat. These propellers will lower the RPM at wakeboard speeds while providing much better acceleration and less bow rise. The EDGE is available with several different cupping ranges. The propeller that has worked best for the Malibu is our #466 which has .090 cupping. The EDGE is a much better option than simply reducing the pitch to gain more low end power.

Eric @ OJ PROPS

Eric

I have the prop that you are talking about. Why is it "singing" at low rpm's? From just in gear to 900 rmps it has a very annoying howl. Just wondering why it is doing that??

LT

Edited by lake texoma
We (OJ PROPS) developed the XMP EDGE 14.25 X 14 LC 4-blade last year for the hardcore wakeboard v-drive boat. Jerry was one of the first riders to test this propeller. It is in use on several builders boats as the standard wakeboard propeller. I built the EDGE to provide better accelration and to be more efficent with the extra ballast in the boat. These propellers will lower the RPM at wakeboard speeds while providing much better acceleration and less bow rise. The EDGE is available with several different cupping ranges. The propeller that has worked best for the Malibu is our #466 which has .090 cupping. The EDGE is a much better option than simply reducing the pitch to gain more low end power.

Eric @ OJ PROPS

Mini-Hijack: This is fantastic that Eric has joined TheMalibuCrew and speaks to us directly about his props. Welcome and thanks for taking the time to do this.

By the way, I replaced my aging CVP on my '98 Response last year with one of your XMP props and love it. Was a toss up between ACME and your XMP. It was our conversation on the phone and your in-depth knowledge that swung me away from ACME to XMP. Folks having access to you via these forums will make those kind of conversations easier as well as more people can benefit from "listening in".

Thanks.

Eric

I have the prop that you are talking about. Why is it "singing" at low rpm's? From just in gear to 900 rmps it has a very annoying howl. Just wondering why it is doing that??

LT

LT,

This is the first I have heard of the singing at low RPM. I'd be happy to take a look at your propeller and see what I could do. What is the max RPM the propeller will turn? What is the RPM at your wakeboard speed? Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Eric @ OJ PROPS

Mini-Hijack: This is fantastic that Eric has joined TheMalibuCrew and speaks to us directly about his props. Welcome and thanks for taking the time to do this.

By the way, I replaced my aging CVP on my '98 Response last year with one of your XMP props and love it. Was a toss up between ACME and your XMP. It was our conversation on the phone and your in-depth knowledge that swung me away from ACME to XMP. Folks having access to you via these forums will make those kind of conversations easier as well as more people can benefit from "listening in".

Thanks.

Doug,

I'm glad you are pleased with the performance of our XMP propeller. We have worked very hard to produce a quality product. Tow boats are our business first and foremost so we take pride in our nearly 30 years of concentrating on this market. Our complete product line has grown over the years from the relationships with the boat builders and skiers like yourself, that help us develop new propellers as well as other products. The XMP EDGE is a good example of filling a need by listening to the boarders that were looking for improved performance in the ever changing wakeboard specific boat. These forums are a great place for discussion, I'm happy to be involved.

Thanks, Eric