Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 G3 Bimini

BrianT

So last year I sold a Mastercraft and bought a 2010 VLX with the LS3. I am really happy overall with the boat with the exception of 1 thing. The bimini in 2010 was a terrible design. I really don't like how it was straight back when not in use and everyone had to duck under it. I read earlier this spring Wheelman did a mod to his and added folding hinges so he could flip it forward and out of the way. That inspired me to do the same. After searching out the hinges I got up the courage to take a hacksaw to my bimini frame..... Here is the result. No more banging heads when the bimini is not deployed. My tower has the camera on it so that made it a bit tricky because I kinda have to force the bimini over it cause it sticks up a little high. One a side note I wouldn't order a tower camera if I had the choice.

Here is the end result.

IMG_4010_zps539b7fc2.jpg

IMG_4012_zps69ea6b03.jpg

IMG_4011_zps56075a94.jpg

IMG_4014_zps14a406d3.jpg

IMG_4013_zps4a086fe0.jpg

I have to get some Velcro, right now I used some zip ties because I am pulling it down to Post Falls ID tomorrow and the ties keep it nice and secure. Thanks for some of the advise given Wheelman, helped out a lot.

Looks awesome. I may have to do this to mine. I thought it was bit strange that it hung low and somewhat in the way. Well played!

Looks great, I am seriously thinkng about doing mine. If you loosen the allen head set screws on the short leg hinge points on the bimini and slide the legs forward to 90 degree angle in relation to the main hoop you will gain a couple inches in vertical clearance.

I also did this mod. The rear supports on mine are more strait up maybe even slightly forward and the Bimini folds behind the forward tube on the tower when stowed. I had to put the hinge farther forward to get it to fold closer to the front tube. I did have to remove about an inch from the tube so the Bimini would still fit right as the hinge added about an inch. This mod is so much better. I can now easily put up or take down the Bimini by myself very easily. You don't have to detach the support leg at all while putting up or taking down. I use Velcro straps to secure it to the tower tube and had no issues towing from Northern California to North Idaho (Priest Lake and Post Falls) and back. Just got home Monday and the trip was over 2,000 miles in total.

a8d4c33c139b946eb3e97d996472d61f_zps1d20

I also like it as I can just pull the two pins and push the Bimini up enough to spin the upper racks all the way in the boat.

I also added a retainer for the pin so I don't have to worry about it falling in the water when I pull it out. I bought some vinyl coated cable at Orchard Supply to make a loop that the pin is attached to.

9140ffe9339c8a23a10876490dc75ff8_zps9d09

I will try to get a picture of it stored. It is about 2-3 inches from the front tube when stored. I bought the Velcro at West Marine.

Kris

/\ looks great, I should maybe slide the vertical short legs more forward. I am in Post Falls right now. Love it here.... We mostly cruise the river.