Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil filter brand help

Mitchmoeller

Help. New Malibu owner doing oil change. Got a replacement filter from the local Malibu dealer. When I went to change the oil tonight the filter I pulled off was a penzoil pz 52. The filter he gave me is much longer and really won't even squeak in there. I have called all over town and no one carries penzoil filters. What other brands / part numbers do people use. I have an '08 247 with the hammerhead engine. The engine is brand new and has ten hours on it and is running straight 40w right now. Thanks for the help

I have the hh in my 08. Cant remember what was on it when i bought it but now have the penzoil. Both were very short/squat filters. You still have the model number from what you took off? Maybe you can call the local auto parts store for an equivalent.

Let me know if you need me to look at mine.

Help. New Malibu owner doing oil change. Got a replacement filter from the local Malibu dealer. When I went to change the oil tonight the filter I pulled off was a penzoil pz 52. The filter he gave me is much longer and really won't even squeak in there. I have called all over town and no one carries penzoil filters. What other brands / part numbers do people use. I have an '08 247 with the hammerhead engine. The engine is brand new and has ten hours on it and is running straight 40w right now. Thanks for the help

There was a chart or spread sheet floating around that did a fairly decent comparison of oil filters. NOt just cosmetic stuff, but tore them apart.

New to the site, so not sure how to find it. But worth the time to look at if someone can find it.

The Pennzoil is one of the cheapest ones you can put on...same with Fram. FRAMs are junk. pretty much a waste of money.

Sure the better filters are more money, but it is your baby!!, The Mobil 1 and WIX were 2 of the ones I remember as being better.

ANy NAPA or parts place can cross reference your old pz52!! You could cross reference on-line too.

Edited by happypappy
  • Like 1

Used a fram last year cause it was cheap and thought it didn't matter, always use WIX on my vehicles. When it came time to winterize that piece of crap fell apart as I was trying to take it off...literally took we a week to finally figure out how to get that thing off and was in pieces by the time everything came off. Will never use fram for anything again...

Like Happy says.....stay away from Fram. Actually fram shouldn't even be capitalized! Wix, Purolator, NAPA (made by Wix) and Baldwin are all good filters. Pennzoil is a partner company with Indmar so of course Indmar is going to endorse them. I've never had to much faith in Pennzoil. I've seen their oil products sludge up quite a bit. So I stay away. There are 3 sizes of filters that will fit your engine. The shortie, a medium length and a long one. I don't have the P/Ns right at hand......but you can go to your local auto parts and specify the filter for a '96 Chevy or GMC 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck w/350 Vortec. This is the right filter.

Awesome help guys thanks. I am a little gun shy after reading some of the info on the oil pressure issues with the hammerhead engine so just didnt want to screw it up. Sorta pissed that the marine supply dealer attached to the Malibu dealer sold me a filter that is physically too long to fit in my boat

Awesome help guys thanks. I am a little gun shy after reading some of the info on the oil pressure issues with the hammerhead engine so just didnt want to screw it up. Sorta pissed that the marine supply dealer attached to the Malibu dealer sold me a filter that is physically too long to fit in my boat

The longer filter is actually preferred if it will physically fit. It has a higher flow rate and will trap more particles before becoming clogged. Some boats will accommodate this filter and some won't. I have to use the medium length on myself. My '95 Echelon (sold last year) would accept the longest filter.

This is what I use and have never had any problems. I change oil and filter every fall before storing the boat for the winter. I have a 2006 Malibu response:

Oil filter:” Purolator (old # L20049) New # L34631

I have used fram filters on my cars for 20+ years. My dad sold thousands of fram filters thru his shop for 42 years until he retired. There may be better filters but i have never known of a failure that could be blamed on fram filters. The most important thing is to change it regularly.

been using amsoil EAO59 on my 05 v ride this is one of the best filters on the market a little expensive, but well worth it.

a little cheaper option is the wix 57099 .

Edited by spottedrat

sorry, this is what you get when I import/paste a spreadsheet...with a little work ya'll can figure it out

Oil filter Gradesheet

P/N Make Model 30um Filtering (wt 5) Overall Build Quality (wt 5) Media Surface Area (wt 1) Media Volume (wt 1) Price Paid (USD) (wt1.5) Final Grade

PF1218 ACDelco n/a F F B A- B- 0.8

EaO24 Amsoil n/a A A- D+ D F 3.02

B1428 Baldwin n/a D B- B- A- D+ 1.99

3510 Bosch n/a C B- A- B- C 2.44

B4361 Carquest n/a D C+ C+ C A 1.99

LF3679 Fleetguard n/a C D+ D+ D+ B 1.75

DL5 Fram Defense C C- C- C- A 2.07

DG5 Fram Double Guard C+ C- C- C- D 1.84

HM5 Fram High Mileage B- D D C- C 1.53

PH5 Fram Extraguard D+ D C- C+ B 2

TG5 Fram Toughguard C- C C+ B- C- 1.93

HP4 Fram Racing C- C+ A B- D 2.09

XG5 Fram Xtended Guard A- A C A C- 3.49

OPH1218 Full n/a D C+ A C C 1.89

HP-3002 K&N n/a B A- B+ A F 3.02

PH1218 Luberfiner n/a C- C+ C C B- 2.08

ML1011 Mann n/a B- C- A B C 2.37

MGL9100 Microgard n/a B- D D D+ B- 1.84

M1-302 Mobil 1 n/a B A A- A D 3.27

FL12A Motorcraft n/a D+ C- B C+ D+ 1.65

21060 Napa Proselect C+ B+ B- C A 2.87

1060 Napa Gold C+ A- B- C+ C 2.81

PG4631 Premium guard n/a D+ B+ C D A- 2.34

PPL34631 Proline n/a D C- F D A- 1.49

PO4011 Pronto n/a C+ C N/A N/A A 2.04

L34631 Purolator Classic B B- C+ D+ B+ 2.74

PL34631 Purolator Pure-one C- B+ A- B+ C+ 2.63

30-1218 Royal Purple n/a A A C- F F 3.09

S17 Shell n/a F F F F A 0.44

S5 STP n/a F F B B B+ 0.81

51060 Wix n/a C A- B+ B+ C 2.82

Edited by happypappy

I have used fram filters on my cars for 20+ years. My dad sold thousands of fram filters thru his shop for 42 years until he retired. There may be better filters but i have never known of a failure that could be blamed on fram filters. The most important thing is to change it regularly.

Cut one of these things open and see what's inside......then tell if you still have the same opinion about fram filters.

I've personally seen cars with Fram oil filters have oil pressure issues. We are talking multiple Fram filters on the same vehicle have lower than expected oil pressure and the resolution was simply going to a non-Fram oil filter. Enough first hand evidence for me to never run one of those pieces of junk ever again.

Here info straight from the Bakes web site.

Oil Filter - Pennzoil PZ3 / PZ52 Product Description:

OEM Oil Filter for Indmar Chevy Engines.

Fits the Indmar LCR, All Indmar Monsoon Engines, All Indmar Hammerhead Engines, Mastercraft LQ9, and all 5.7L chevy engines. Filters threads measure: 13/16 x 16.

Innerchanges with:
  • Bullet02.gif PZ3 - According to the 2009 Pennzoil filter application guide the PZ-3 has been replaced by the PZ-52. THE OIL FILTER IS THE SAME PLEASE NOTE THE PART NUMBER CHANGE IN YOUR SERVICE MANUAL
  • Bullet02.gif Napa 1069 & 7099
  • Bullet02.gif Wix 51069
  • Bullet02.gif Fram CPH 30 / PH 30
  • Bullet02.gif AC PF25 & PF454
  • Bullet02.gif Penske PN30
  • Bullet02.gif Purolator L20049
  • Bullet02.gif Castrol CM30
  • Bullet02.gif Motorcraft FL10
  • Bullet02.gif Quaker State QS30
  • Bullet02.gif PZ3 - According to the 2009 Pennzoil filter application guide the PZ-3 has been replaced by the PZ-52. THE OIL FILTER IS THE SAME PLEASE NOTE THE PART NUMBER CHANGE IN YOUR SERVICE MANUAL