Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Drive replacement

I have water in the oil of the v drive unit. I have replaced 4 times. It only holds a quart. Last fall the boat was partially sunk, but all repairs were made, dealer replaced all oil/fluid. Transmission oil and engine oil is fine. Obvioulsy the v drive is water cooled. My insurance company is going to pay for a new v drive. The questions is I am 7 hours away from a dealer, and was wondering if this unit can be replaced by me with moderate mechanical ability and no special tools, or does anyone know another reason water is getting into the v drive unit? Seal or bearing?

I have been using it and replacing the oil every two days of use, to get me by the summer.

I have removed a Walters V drive unit. They are quite heavy but can be removed by hand. I haven't had to remove a Hurth Ski Vee unit unit yet. I don't believe there is that much difference in removing one vs the other. I my opinion your most difficult task getting the back seat out of the way to facilitate removal. Which unit do you have?

If you have enough clearance in your garage a come along and a good strong beam (or a couple 2x8s ) will make it a lot easier on your back and should be easier to line up putting back in.

Sorry for the delay.........No need to remove the driveshaft if all you are doing is replacing the V-drive unit. But this is an excellent time to service you stuffing box while the V-drive is out. So I would take advantage and do this.