Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding hurts

Debt Setter

I still disagree. I can imagine that self learned jumps on a foil can be hard at first. A few face plants are going to happen but any wake jump to toe side whip splat on a wake board will trump that. I go VERY big on a hydrofoil and I will still take falling from the sky at 15 feet over a hard cut, wake to wake edge grab whip splat any day of the week. For the most part if you get to the point that you can land with the foil between you and the water it's not going to hurt too bad. The wings act like shock absorbers. The other thing about the hydrofoil is you don't come out of it when you crash. It's darn near physically impossible to get hurt from the hydrofoil when crashing. How many head gashes do you see from wake boarding and surfing? LOADS! Not to mention the multiple ankle/knee injuries that just don't happen on a hydrofoil. I know everyone has heard of the random femur snap just from getting up on a wake board.

Now I'm not saying that the foil can't bite you. But learning to jump a foil at 18-20 mph is not going to hurt near as bad as learning to jump a wake at the same speed. I had a very short wakeboard career because of whip splats.

Now lets talk about what it takes to go BIG on a wakeboard and compare that.

Can you tell I'm a little biased? Until I picked up a foil I was wakebored. Yes I spelled that right.

I have had 3 cut by a surf board so far. 0 cut by foil while riding.