Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding hurts

Debt Setter

Took one of the worst falls of my life on Monday. Why does it seem like you get racked the worst on the easiest tricks? I never take bad falls doing 3's 180's, backrolls etc. Simple healside wake to wake got off axis and caught heelside edge on the landing and pulled muscles in my neck and my insides hurt, I am sore all over. I had a headache so bad I threw up. I am seriously thinking about hanging up the wakeboard and just surfing. I still enjoy it but now have a two year old and grown up stuff to think about.

• Like 3

How about not wussing out 100% by surfing and get a sky ski?

:rofl:

I was feeling pretty beat up after wakeboarding last weekend. Didn't ring my bell but took a few hard falls.

I love it though. :crazy:

I think you mostly just gotta know when to let go of the rope. I've gotten sloppy going W2W trying a new grab where I knew I wasn't going to clear the second wake and was going to land on the inside upslope, and just let go instead of landing it. Rather not do that to my knees/back.

I think you mostly just gotta know when to let go of the rope. I've gotten sloppy going W2W trying a new grab where I knew I wasn't going to clear the second wake and was going to land on the inside upslope, and just let go instead of landing it. Rather not do that to my knees/back.

I agree with this. I have let go of 20 back rolls this year that I could have MAYBE ridden out... Not worth the risk to me at this point.

175 stitches in one leg. Staph infection in the other. And 2 concussions. Pushing 50 yrs old & I still love it. No way I'd quit to just surf. Theres just no thrill in it.

• Like 2

I have surfed more this year than any, and I am loving it... I do take an occasional set on the wakeboard if the water is money, but nothing crazy I cant pull off everytime, infact it has become very boring to watch me wakeboard, and I am ok with that. Wakeboarding will never pay your bills, especially in my profession where I need my body functioning on all eight cylinders to make a living!

175 stitches in one leg. Staph infection in the other. And 2 concussions. Pushing 50 yrs old & I still love it. No way I'd quit to just surf. Theres just no thrill in it.

Whats the definition of insanity? Hats off to you, I am getting older and wiser...

Took one of the worst falls of my life on Monday. Why does it seem like you get racked the worst on the easiest tricks? I never take bad falls doing 3's 180's, backrolls etc. Simple healside wake to wake got off axis and caught heelside edge on the landing and pulled muscles in my neck and my insides hurt, I am sore all over. I had a headache so bad I threw up. I am seriously thinking about hanging up the wakeboard and just surfing. I still enjoy it but now have a two year old and grown up stuff to think about.

No doubt a concussion.....and a bad one. Think Tim Tebow when he was playing at Florida - he was puking on the sidelines.

Better lay off for a while. You can get a more serious concussion real easy during the weeks that follow one such as this. Concussions are my worst fear when wakeboarding. At 47, I need every last one of my brain cells. I caught a backside edge doing a toeside frontside 180. Landed with only my trailing hand on the handle and got spin around.

No doubt a concussion.....and a bad one. Think Tim Tebow when he was playing at Florida - he was puking on the sidelines.

Better lay off for a while. You can get a more serious concussion real easy during the weeks that follow one such as this. Concussions are my worst fear when wakeboarding. At 47, I need every last one of my brain cells. I caught a backside edge doing a toeside frontside 180. Landed with only my trailing hand on the handle and got spin around.

I hear ya debt setter, it hurts.

But I also have old man disease. Personally, I cant even think of going big on a wakeboard, so its not much excitement but still fun. (Big air terrain park crashes on a snowboard and skis ended my big trick days.) So, I just look at both wakeboarding and wakesurfing as mellow and relaxing. I have to do other sports for the adrenaline fix.

Strained neck muscles and whiplash can cause dizziness and nausea, so not necessarily concussion. And both cause headaches, so it can be hard to tell which is happening. But maybe it doesn t matter because they both generally have the same treatment (take it easy for a while).

I hear you people! I've been sitting around doing next to nothing for the past (nearly) 3 weeks with a busted kneecap. Luckily I have a job where I've accumulated a ton of sick leave.

I decided last fall that I was going to sell the Response and get an '07 Vlx. My thought was that I am loving wakeboarding, and at 45, I probably don't have many "good " years left. Got the Vlx in May...............busted my kneecap in mid - July just by going big on 75' of rope and landing slightly awkwardly.

So I have been thinking over the past few weeks about what I'm gonna do. I LOVE wakeboarding and can't imagine giving it up. And I just don't have the personality type to ride slower on a shorter rope for safety sake. But on the other hand, I don't want to continue beating the crap out of myself! :(

I honestly feel like I'd rather fish than surf!?!?!?!............................... AGING SUCKS!

I am in the same boat (haha), I need my body to make a living. I can't go to work and be effective in the shape I am in right now. The worst part about it is that I wasn't doing anything but a basic heelside wake to wake. I can do it in my sleep, wasn't tweaking it, wasn't grabbing, it was my first jump of the set and was warming up. As you can tell I am bummed, my wife is giving me a pretty hard time about it. This is my first season back fully from having OATS surgury from chipping my femur 3 years ago, I rode last year but was still in recovery and probably shouldn't have been. That was 6 weeks on the couch, 6 months on crutches and 15 months of the gnarliest PT you can imagine, then more than a year of trying to build the muscle back so I could get on a board. I just don't think I can justify the risk anymore. Call it getting old or whatever but honestly, I never thought I would be having this conversation. Maybe I will feel different when I feel better and am at the lake but right now I am beat up from the feet up.

Whats the definition of insanity? Hats off to you, I am getting older and wiser...

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I'm not doing the same thing any more. I finally got smart & started doin it right & stickin my tricks!

And thanks to guys who rode the old equipment, and proved it wasn't strong enough, the equipment sold now days is far stronger & doesn't break.

No pain, no gain.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I hear people say getting older "sure beats the alternative", but I am thinking "not by much".

IDK, hope not for me. On vacation at Little Lake Shuswap in 2005 and on another vacation at Priest Lake there were these "old guys" probably 60s+ out every morning for their slalom set. Retired and skied every day of the summer. I am hoping that will be me when I get to that age. My buddies Mt. Bike guide in AZ for some guided riding were guy's in their 70's. Ride everyday, keep active, get to meet interesting people that like the same things you do. Riding the Gondola at Crystal Mt.I was with a whole bunch of retired Patrollers, in their 60's and 70's hitting the mountain seveal times/week. It's all in your attitude and risk management so you can go another day.

There are a couple of 70+ roadies locally who won't win any sprints with the young kids, but who can ride 'em into the ground with back to back to back 80+ mile days.

• Like 1