Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Question... is it time to replace?

I have had no trouble with the original battery in my '05 VLX with Monsoon. Recently, it seems that it is turning over a little more slowly. I'm guessing that after 8 years, its about time for me to replace so I'm thinking about buying a replacement before I head up to the lake this weekend.

Since I'm 2 hours from my boat and I don't have any details on the OEM, what do I need to buy? I've read that Costco is a good place to purchase.

According to Indmar, you require a marine battery with at least 650 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). I beleive that is about 800 MCA (Marine Cranking Amps). You should make sure the dimensions of the new battery fit in your battery box. Although you can always buy a new battery box.

Probably time but before you drop the loot I'd check the terminals for corrosion. I know I had problems with corroded terminals causing poor electrical connection (albeit on my truck). Little baking soda, wire brush, and scotch brite pad. Problem solved. Good luck.

Next time at the boat, remove the battery(s). Have them load tested. Any NAPA, Kragens, etc will do it for free. Then you'll know exactly how strong/weak your battery is/are. ANd I like Costco. Good batteries at a great price and their return policy is the best. 3 years free return at 100%. I think!

Trying to buy one before may lead to problems with correct size, etc.

After 8 years, you've gotten your money's worth outta that battery.

Edited by happypappy