Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

front crankshaft seal blown

any estimates on cost to replace front crankshaft seal? 97 sunsetter vlx we just bought has a big oil leak that just started about 15 hours after the purchase. ya nice huh

Might be able to squeek by with a temp fix for a while, but in reality you'll probably have to have the engine pulled. Not a lot of room to work in the VD engine bays, and even if there was, it probably would be a real rough fix without pulling it. Where are you??

What engine? The front seal is most likely in the timing cover. It shouldn't be that hard to fix. The seal and cover itself should be fairly easy (assuming you have tools to remove the balancer). Getting the oil pan to seal back up would be my only concern.

Edited by vette-ski

The oil pan has to be dropped to pull the front timing cover.....so it's not quite as easy as it may seem. The oil pan gasket lays down in a groove within the bottom of the front cover. I think I might try the speedy sleeve first myself.