Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefootin!

WoodyBC

Ive watched these nut job barefooters for a few years with great admiration.

Now, I AM one of those nut-jobs!

MCrew members have offered advice, equipment, encouragement, and the motivation for me to go all-in.

Started with the boom, then added a rope. Then came the most intimidating thing. The deep-water BF start. Nailed it 3x in a row. That was last summer.

Ive continued to practice, deep waters, short rope boom, and tumble-ups. And tonight was my next nemisis. The tumble turn. Got it going both ways!

I plan on practicing as much as I can, love the sport! Thanks crew for everything. Feeling pretty good tonight.

Now to reward myself it a nice new BF suit.... Hmmm...

Cool! I footed for the first time since neck surgery last Monday. It didn't go very well, but at least the screws held during the first (and second) face plant. I need to seriously rethink if it is worth the risk anymore....but the miles of glass just need to be footed on!!!

• Like 3

Ive watched these nut job barefooters for a few years with great admiration.

Now, I AM one of those nut-jobs!

MCrew members have offered advice, equipment, encouragement, and the motivation for me to go all-in.

Started with the boom, then added a rope. Then came the most intimidating thing. The deep-water BF start. Nailed it 3x in a row. That was last summer.

Ive continued to practice, deep waters, short rope boom, and tumble-ups. And tonight was my next nemisis. The tumble turn. Got it going both ways!

I plan on practicing as much as I can, love the sport! Thanks crew for everything. Feeling pretty good tonight.

Now to reward myself it a nice new BF suit.... Hmmm...

Congratulations WoodyBC, and welcome to dare to go bare.... :rockon: Get that BF suit you'll love it! A neck brace would be good to.

Next will be the one foot toe hold. I'm getting close. Last five weekend no glass, lots of sun but the winds, so

haven't had the opportunity to practice on one.

Keep at it and have fun.

" Dare to go Bare and Never Let Go" !

Cool! I footed for the first time since neck surgery last Monday. It didn't go very well, but at least the screws held during the first (and second) face plant. I need to seriously rethink if it is worth the risk anymore....but the miles of glass just need to be footed on!!!

Sethro.

You might think about a neck brace, there are a few out there that would defiantly help with support and protection against injury.

I have two, from the Barefoot Co. There are others out there and you will probably get different opinions form OP on which one is

better over the other. Think it just comes down to personal preference. I have two, one for myself for footing or doubles on the boom

and my crew wares them for wakeboarding and knee boarding

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/product.php?productid=28

Congrats Woody! I've been behind a boat once this year, boarded for a while then when it was my turn tried long line footin'. VERY close to getting there, I think I got it figured out. Half the battle is teaching someone how to drive.

So very true. My coaches have been working with me and my ski partner in that as well. I had no idea that good driving was so crutial to the bf'er. Makes it a whole lot easier when the driver is good.

I agree completely on how important a driver is, any specific insight on what makes a good driver? I've driven a few barefooters many times and am generally a very good driver for riders (read aware of what the rider is doing and adjusting the boat appropriately). But I'm always interested in learning how to improve.

Congrats! The driver makes a huge difference, especially if you plan to try it backwards. One key on the deep water start is to make sure your driver doesn't just jam the throttle WOT as that sends that nice bump that tends to toss a novice for a loop, tell the driver a nice smooth roll on with the throttle (that is not a power issue so don't think a lower power boat doesn't do it). Another big help for the tumbles is for the driver to cut the speed a couple mph, makes that tumble a lot easier and less violent. A pylon (I don't have a tower) also makes the tumbles and long line starts easier and more fun.

Trick options: one foots, hands off handle, wake crossing (2 then 1 footed), surface hops, sideways footin, dual / triple footers, enduro runs (figure 8's or back across the wake - great thigh burners), off the boom: one foot stand up with other foot in bridle, slalom (liberally spraying boat occupants). Have fun playing!

On the boom, one foot one hand, somehow got into that position by accident learning one footers way to early and it's stuck with me. My favourite is definitely soaking the boat!

My driver was afraid to give me enough speed. Nice easy roll on the throttle, but once I planed he didn't keep it going. Tried 5 times and after the last one I was like "Dude you are drowning me! I need speed to have the water hard enough!" It was his boat (a 23LSV w/ 8.1L) and he was kind of done with it, so I gave up. He's used to surf and boarding speeds and thought it looked waayyy to fast past 25 mph and he was afraid he was going to hurt me.

So I gotta say, I know what waterboarding feels like. I was literally drowning. 100' of rope (thanks JBFoot), had good form, felt strong, but the first couple of times I was literally drowning for like 10 seconds each time. I knew I was in a full floatation BF suit, and that I would either end up letting go or standing up, hoping to ride it out. But no kiddng - that water was displacing all the air in my sinus which left me gasping (open mouth) which had me choking. Pretty wild.

Exactly fellas. Rolling that throttle on slowly allowed me to focus on what i was doing instead of crazy violent chaos. My driver slowly, i mean slowly turns to the left to get me out of the trough and into the curl. Still working on the whole "cheeking out" move but havent got there yet. I actually thought i was supposed to be beyond that, in the clean water. But coach says I'm where I'm supposed to be which is in the curl.

The guys that are teaching me are 63 and 66 yrs old. Between them, they have been footin for 83yrs. Incredible amount of experience. They truly enjoy passing on their experience to the next generation to keep the sport strong. I'm doing my best to learn quickly, hopefully my teen boys will take an interest soon.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I get more relaxed and confident each trip out.

• Like 3

Sethro.

You might think about a neck brace, there are a few out there that would defiantly help with support and protection against injury.

I have two, from the Barefoot Co. There are others out there and you will probably get different opinions form OP on which one is

better over the other. Think it just comes down to personal preference. I have two, one for myself for footing or doubles on the boom

and my crew wares them for wakeboarding and knee boarding

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/product.php?productid=28

Yes, I've been thinking about this. My next door neighbor has one and I've tried it for tricking as reverse wake back falls are also trying on the neck. It's uncomfortable, but I can get over that I'm sure.

• Like 1

Exactly fellas. Rolling that throttle on slowly allowed me to focus on what i was doing instead of crazy violent chaos. My driver slowly, i mean slowly turns to the left to get me out of the trough and into the curl. Still working on the whole "cheeking out" move but havent got there yet. I actually thought i was supposed to be beyond that, in the clean water. But coach says I'm where I'm supposed to be which is in the curl.

The guys that are teaching me are 63 and 66 yrs old. Between them, they have been footin for 83yrs. Incredible amount of experience. They truly enjoy passing on their experience to the next generation to keep the sport strong. I'm doing my best to learn quickly, hopefully my teen boys will take an interest soon.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I get more relaxed and confident each trip out.

Welcome to the DARK SIDE......

This is a must if you don't have a linebacker's neck....I know I DON'T....LOL

This style of Neck Brace is hand made by Chuck Gleason, who designed it for himself and thankfully has continued to make them for the rest of us...

it tucks deep into the barefoot suit for added protection....

It has saved me more than once....

Call Michele at Barefoot Central and have them make one for you....tell her I said hello when you do...

post-15441-0-80486300-1375712255_thumb.j

• Like 3

This is a must if you don't have a linebacker's neck....I know I DON'T....LOL

This style of Neck Brace is hand made by Chuck Gleason, who designed it for himself and thankfully has continued to make them for the rest of us...

it tucks deep into the barefoot suit for added protection....

It has saved me more than once....

Call Michele at Barefoot Central and have them make one for you....tell her I said hello when you do...

GB?