Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going to install prop tomorrow, any tips?

wakesetter8796

Do you have a link to where I could get more info and possible buy one? thanks!!

Is it anything like the harmonic balancer on an engine??

Check it out HERE. I have no experience with them nor the balancer you mention so I have no comment. After using the c-clamp style pullers, I'm sticking with those as that seemed tough enough.

I pull mine off and put it right back on each year as part of winterizing. Just to be sure I can remove it if needed during the season. I use an Acme puller and sometimes takes several good whacks with a big hammer to pop it loose. Always retorque to factory spec of 35lbs.

I bought an ACME weekend saver kit that came with a harmonic prop puller. Best investment I've ever made in all my years of boating. The hammer they supply with the kit usually isn't enough though so I use a small 3 lb sledge.

loosen prop nut, but do not remove nut (you'll see why when the prop POPS off, install prop puller and apply load (tighten until very tight), using wrench or hammer bang on prop hub or prop puller a few times, additional load (tighten more). more hitting prop hub or puller....if that does not get the prop off, then apply heat to the hub of the prop (heating the prop hub will expand the prop hub. goof luck.

do not apply so much torque on the prop puller that you bend/damage the puller!

good luck

Just thinking - my Dad would have had a fit when I used something other than a hammer to "bang" lol...sorry off topic, but just sparked a memory!

Just thinking - my Dad would have had a fit when I used something other than a hammer to "bang" lol...sorry off topic, but just sparked a memory!

I know what you mean. I wasn't sure if they had the proper tools to get er done. I would have suggested using his noggin, but I know there is not enough room to use one's noggin!! ha ha

Do you have a link to where I could get more info and possible buy one? thanks!!

Is it anything like the harmonic balancer on an engine??

You shouldn't need that. Just hit the back of c-clamp style prop puller with a 5lb hammer. It doesn't take a hard hit, just enough to get the vibration right. It took me a few tries, when I got it right the prop just popped off.