Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going to install prop tomorrow, any tips?

wakesetter8796

Finally going to install 1235 tomorrow! I'm pumped! What do I need besides a prop puller? Torque wrench?

Thanks for any help!

Used a propane torch as well. I HIGHLY recommend you heat it up before wrenching on the puller. We had the puller seated and wrenched on it for a bit, than my buddy added heat with the torch and BANG!!!!! the prop and puller flew of. Thank gosh the rudder was there or my buddy would have been winded, knocked out or worse. Seriously those props get jammed on so cycle between wrenching the puller and adding heat.

I also put some grease on the shaft before setting the new prop.

Don't get to freaked out when you hear the loud "clang" when it breaks loose, and do not take the nut all the way off prior to getting the prop to come loose. Other than that have fun :thumbsup:

Theirs an idea. Learning something ever day on TMC :thumbup:

Edited by TrickyNicky

loosen prop nut, but do not remove nut (you'll see why when the prop POPS off, install prop puller and apply load (tighten until very tight), using wrench or hammer bang on prop hub or prop puller a few times, additional load (tighten more). more hitting prop hub or puller....if that does not get the prop off, then apply heat to the hub of the prop (heating the prop hub will expand the prop hub. goof luck.

do not apply so much torque on the prop puller that you bend/damage the puller!

good luck

loosen prop nut, but do not remove nut (you'll see why when the prop POPS off, install prop puller and apply load (tighten until very tight), using wrench or hammer bang on prop hub or prop puller a few times, additional load (tighten more). more hitting prop hub or puller....if that does not get the prop off, then apply heat to the hub of the prop (heating the prop hub will expand the prop hub. goof luck.

do not apply so much torque on the prop puller that you bend/damage the puller!

good luck

what he said

Move the prop until two of the blades are horizontal. Measure from one of the blades to the hull. Cut a 2x4 to this length.

You can then use the 2x4 to hold the prop steady and you apply torque to the nut. This will work to loosen and tighten the nut by simply switching sides.

Some will say to measure to the trailer. I say the hull since it will allow you to change the prop when you cant get the boat into the trailer for one reason or another. I also covered the end that will touch the hull with some spare felt fabric that I took my my aunt's fabric bag to avoid unneeded scratches.

Keep the 2x4 with your spare prop for emergencies.

It will be done on a lift, not trailer.

Than definitely keep the nut on and I would tie off the puller to the lift so when it bangs off and falls you can pull it off. Hang onto that wrench when your tightening the puller. Its a very dramatic event the first time the prop pops off. I also managed to squeeze a 1x4 in between the prop fins and than rotated the prop until it jammed up against the rudder.

If you can put it on the trailer you'll have better luck.

Edited by TrickyNicky

If you're doing it on a lift be very careful when sliding off the prop not to lose the key!! Mine fell into the grass where I did the swap and almost couldn't find it...would be impossible to find if it fell into the water!

When you reinstall nylock nut, 35-40ft lbs is all you need.

Whenever I have replaced/install a prop, I have never used a TQ wrench to tighten the nut. Since the prop and shaft are both tapered, I lube the shaft was a dab of grease, I always thought that bringing the two mated surfaces together (slide the prop onto the shaft while aligning the shear pin), then tighten the nut until snug, then say another 1/4 to 1/2 turn was enough....so that whenever I have to remove it, I don't have to bust out the heater, cheater bar, or whatever type of persuasion you use. I use a nylock castle nut, so when tightened, I install the cotter pin, and I know that the prop and nut aint going anywhere.

Not sure what it would take to remove a prop after being on for a few years having been tightened to 40 ft#. That being said, I have no idea what that 1/4 to 1/2 turn equates to on a TQ wrench. Having used a TQ wrench a few times over the years, I would guess maybe 25 ft #??

just my 2 cents

I have never had a nut come loose and have never lost a prop...for what that is worth!

Since you're on a lift I would only back the nylock nut off a 1/2" or so, so that the key doesn't fly out into the water. Make sure the notch is facing up and slowly remove the prop.

Edited by Ndawg12

i guess i got lucky, first time i had to change my prop was a couple months after i purchased my boat. Bought it used 3 years ago. Have no idea how long prop had been on there. I didn't have a puller but figured i would try anyway before buying one. Undid the nut and prop came right off, no puller or any type of persuasion. Got it fixed, put a little grease on, and tighened it back on as tight as the nut would go with average to heavy pressure. This year upgraded to 1235, same thing loosened nut and pulled prop right off with my hands. I've owned my malibu for 3 years and still dont own a prop puller...

I have had friends though that took a torch to theirs and still could not get it off, have no idea how long theirs had been on there but mine was over 2 years and didn't take much effort at all to remove

i guess i got lucky, first time i had to change my prop was a couple months after i purchased my boat. Bought it used 3 years ago. Have no idea how long prop had been on there. I didn't have a puller but figured i would try anyway before buying one. Undid the nut and prop came right off, no puller or any type of persuasion. Got it fixed, put a little grease on, and tighened it back on as tight as the nut would go with average to heavy pressure. This year upgraded to 1235, same thing loosened nut and pulled prop right off with my hands. I've owned my malibu for 3 years and still dont own a prop puller...

I have had friends though that took a torch to theirs and still could not get it off, have no idea how long theirs had been on there but mine was over 2 years and didn't take much effort at all to remove

Do you only drive in reverse?

That's funny because my buddy's did the same thing, I loosened the nut and the prop just slid right off. Not sure if that's right but it was easy, 2 minute prop swap!!

WHat are the harmonics?

Harmonics are just the vibration of the prop. Everything has it's own unique harmonics (frequencies) where it will vibrate more or less. If you hit the prop and manage to tap into it's harmonic range (or resonant frequency), where it vibrates very easily and freely, the prop will free itself up. There is no (reasonable) way to know this as a consumer but you can buy a harmonic prop puller for this reason.

acme-5005.jpg

When you tap this it will create the same vibrations that allow the prop to resonate and break free from the shaft (as the shaft and prop have different resonant frequencies).

I tried to simplify it for you....and for the fear of being corrected by a wiser TMC member (there are many)

Harmonics are just the vibration of the prop. Everything has it's own unique harmonics (frequencies) where it will vibrate more or less. If you hit the prop and manage to tap into it's harmonic range (or resonant frequency), where it vibrates very easily and freely, the prop will free itself up. There is no (reasonable) way to know this as a consumer but you can buy a harmonic prop puller for this reason.

acme-5005.jpg

When you tap this it will create the same vibrations that allow the prop to resonate and break free from the shaft (as the shaft and prop have different resonant frequencies).

I tried to simplify it for you....and for the fear of being corrected by a wiser TMC member (there are many)

Do you have a link to where I could get more info and possible buy one? thanks!!

Is it anything like the harmonic balancer on an engine??

Edited by happypappy