Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Options

Andrewc

looking forward to picking up a new VTX in the next two weeks

I must say it was a pleasure to date dealing with the boys at Regal Marine

very much the same service as buying a prestige car with the level of personal service

and plenty of options to personalise the boat

it was interesting with all of the available options I felt two items where missing

1) fire system we come from owning larger boats and petrol inboards have always been dangerous

with regards to vapours and sparks

especially as the boat gets older and corrosion and wear and tear set into the engine / wiring / fuel lines

the small portable extinguisher is useless in an engine fire as when you open the engine hatch the air will feed the fire

my solution after searching the internet is a fireboy auto extinguisher , they are small easy to fit and will automatically discharge in case of fire in the engine bay

2) battery charger we ordered duel batteries but no option for a charger ( ski boats will sit around all winter )

so will have the dealer install a marine grade duel batt charger ( same as used on moored boats )

after use into the garage and plug straight into the power point nice and neat

just my thoughts

I enjoy reading all the posts

Regards

AC

Edited by Andrewc

I agree that Regal marine is great to deal with. We were told that the ext... are for helping put out fires on other boats....

Where do you boat...

Congrats on the new boat!

If you had a fire in the engine compartment, don't open it to spray it with that tiny extinguisher. this could make it ignite even further. I keep the extinguisher because I have to by law and it may help other boats.

if I remember correctly, There was a member of the crew not long ago that helped rescue a family from a burning boat.

I will NOT take this opportunity to point out that Malibu should have fire suppression system as a standard option.

Edited by bamabonners

Congrats on the new boat!

If you had a fire in the engine compartment, don't open it to spray it with that tiny extinguisher. this could make it ignite even further. I keep the extinguisher because I have to by law and it may help other boats.

if I remember correctly, There was a member of the crew not long ago that helped rescue a family from a burning boat.

I will NOT take this opportunity to point out that Malibu should have fire suppression system as a standard option.

Honest question, does MC offer a fire suppression system?

not sure if they do but newer mc's come w a "fire-port"; thought it was a cool idea.

small holes in the dog-house that you push the snout of the fire-extinguisher in to flood compartment w suppressant w/o opening the dog-house.

Guess you could always pull a cup holder out of the dog house and spray in from there. Sure like the idea

of the fire suppression system. I'll have to do some research on this to.

They used to make a passive suppression system which was a tube filled with foamish type stuff that you mounted above your engine. If a fire started, it would get hot and pop dumping that foam over the engine area extinguishing the fire. Don't know what happened to the company, haven't seen them for a while. We had a suppression system on a cabin cruise we had years ago. Similar thing, gets hot and activates or you could push the go button on the helm. It was a halon system so easy cleanup.

That is my biggest fear on the water, having a fire start.

yes, it has a handle next to the driver's seat that you pull. there is a canister in the engine bay that blows that white crap throughout the engine bay. I believe it is made by fireboy or something like that. Also has a hand held mounted under observer's seat.

I believe Malibu does offer this, if I remember correctly. I am just surprised that it is not REQUIRED on all boats 20 feet and over.

Edited by bamabonners

I recently saw a "fire port" on a SeaRay & wondered why something so simple wasn't done on any of the inboards I've used/owned. First time I've seen one, but seemed like a good idea.

I've found numerous things to install on my boat that I think should be included on ANY boat.

- Multibank battery charger

- bilge heater

- simplify the winterization process

- Larger convex mirror like the PTM Edge. And get it off the windshield, especially out of the the walk-thru.

- Make a driver's seat bolster that doubles as your CG approved throwable PFD.

Will be going to Eildon

I was there last weekend and we are going up again this week end, still running in the X7 engine, been a bit cool in the boat.

I Bought a new 2012 VTX from Peter and it was a great boat..

I was there last weekend and we are going up again this week end, still running in the X7 engine, been a bit cool in the boat.

I Bought a new 2012 VTX from Peter and it was a great boat..

Hi Webby

great to hear you are happy with the VTX

actually I am traveling 6700km to pick it up as I live in Vietnam ( that must be a record )

we will keep it in Melbourne as we spend summer there

just waiting for peter to let me know it is ready to pick up and I will come over

and run it in over a couple of days at Eildon

so it will be ready to ski behind in December

Edited by Andrewc

Due to a houseboat buy out I had to loose the VTX but bought a new X7, downsize a little. Loved the VTX ..... but I always wanted a Mastercraft X7. Might be back in a bu one day.......

Happy now that the houseboat is all ours......

X7 profile on the water is the best of any boat! Friend of ours has one and it is amazing. It is truly the last of the true ski and wakeboard boats.

For the record, the x-7 is mastercrafts top of the line slalom boat with a tower and 350 pound sac...

• 4 months later...

For the record, the x-7 is mastercrafts top of the line slalom boat with a tower and 350 pound sac...

Ahem and also for the record, the only boat ever certified for five events.

Ahem and also for the record, the only boat ever certified for five events.

Ahem, USAWS certifications process: must be title sponsor, submit money and boat for "tetsing" on USAWS's lake. It's not as if they test every boat for all events, its simpky a process of a manufacturers desire to have certified. I can guarantee you an X-7 never pulled a barefoot or wakeboard tournament of any stature. However, great selling point. So great they discontinued it. Not saying its not a fine boat as I spend plenty of time in a 197, but the certifications are about as useful as USAWS. either way, have fun...certifications don't make or break that.