Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Banana Plug Connectors?

Soon2BV

Banana plugs are not as good as a mechanical connection as bare wire the Banana can come out pretty easily. Unless you use locking bananas.

Solder the tip of the wire and that will be your toughest connection. Use a high silver content solder.

Mike

There is no reason to solder the tip or use a banana plug. Screw down terminals have gnarled tips on the end of them that dig into the wires and acutally keep the screw from backing out.

Edited by Murphy8166

I did not solder mine, bare wire has always worked well in car audio for me.

I just know that a soldered end will make a stronger connection

I normally don't solder the ends either but on some amps a harder material or more girth is needed. I assume that's why the OP was asking--bare wire is not good enough on whatever connectors he is dealing with.

That said, you have to connect the wires to the banana plugs with the set screws too creating a second, avoidable connection. Fewer connections the better. That's why I recommended tinning the ends.

Edit: I also will regularly strip extra wire and fold the ends over before inserting into a round connector. Keeps the fraying down and gets you the thickness needed if you're not using the maximum wire gauge for that connector.

Edited by jk13

I researched a ton and ended up soldering the ends of mine. Be careful to not use too much for it will swell and not fit. The bare wire seemed to stay well however if I pulled the end it would move more than I felt comfortable with. Once soldered it was in there solid.

i am not having trouble, but I need to remove and reconnect all of my speaker connections, so i was wondering if there was a better option than bare wire. It is a JL Audio Amp, with screwdown connectors.

i am not having trouble, but I need to remove and reconnect all of my speaker connections, so i was wondering if there was a better option than bare wire. It is a JL Audio Amp, with screwdown connectors.

If you have allen head set screws into an amplifier block then bare wires is the best bet. If you want to tin the very end of the wire that is okay. Easy does it because you don't want to create something inflexible like a solid core wire.

If you have a phillips set screw into an amplifier strip then you want to crimp, solder and heatshrink heavy gauge fork connectors on the end of the wire.

David