Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best 'Bu for Barefooting

BoatFlyRide

I've recently started to get into barefooting and love it. Any opinions on the best hull/boat for footing? The wake behind my 02 RLX is pretty good but the troughs are kind of deep. Anyone in the Indianapolis area that likes to foot? All my ski buddies are 80's Nautique guys.

in order: sportster, 98 and prior response (or echelon), sunsetter LX (or iride or wakesetter DD or sunkicker), though your boat isn't exactly bad.

Flightcraft

Flightcraft

I was going to put flightcraft but didn't wnat to cause any confusion since it was a different brand until Malibu of course made the OB for a few years, but you're definitely right....good luck finding one tho

• Like 1

Any current response or response LX works good too. If you want it mainly for footing and don't need the room Find a sportster.

A "current" response is what he has...the boat hasnt changed at all since 1999.

A "current" response is what he has...the boat hasnt changed at all since 1999.

Sorry about that, assumed rxli.

Your response is pretty good then or you could go Sanger if you really want a nice barefooting boat.

I was going to put flightcraft but didn't wnat to cause any confusion since it was a different brand until Malibu of course made the OB for a few years, but you're definitely right....good luck finding one tho

I belive JB-FOOT or a frind of his has a Flightcraft that they all BF with. Could alway PM him for some calcification.

I think he has an echelon with a 454 but I also think he has a few boats.

Yes he has his closed bow Echelon, pretty sure the Flightcraft is his to. I should realy know this as I keep

in touch with him quite a bit via the TMC forum. Lol......

I really like mine too. I'm just starting footing on the long line and have trouble getting out of the trough sometimes. My Nautique buddies are always debating which one of their boats is the best so I thought I'd see what the 'Bucrew thought in regards to our boats.

1.) Zach= 1986 2001

2.) Teddy= mid 80s BareFooter

3.) Vince= mid 80s BareFooter

No one has long-lined behind my boat except for me but everyone agrees it is the best on the boom due to minimal spray. The 2001 is the WORST on the boom. You just about drown from all the spray on a short-line deepwater.

1.) Zach= 1986 2001

2.) Teddy= mid 80s BareFooter

3.) Vince= mid 80s BareFooter

No one has long-lined behind my boat except for me but everyone agrees it is the best on the boom due to minimal spray. The 2001 is the WORST on the boom. You just about drown from all the spray on a short-line deepwater.

what is a mid 80s barefooter? a barefoot nautique?...agreed on spray...you're longline wake is also superior to a ski nautique 2001 btw.

what is a mid 80s barefooter? a barefoot nautique?...agreed on spray...you're longline wake is also superior to a ski nautique 2001 btw.

Yeah Bare Foot Nautiques.

If you're having a hard time getting out of the "trough" behind your boat, the barefoot is much deeper as compared to the wake...though the table is butter smooth.

I have to second this, but I am biased. Find a well maintained hull and put a 225 Optimax on the back and you win......By a long line

Quick thought on best malibu for footing (Aside from Flightcraft. I know where one is available if you are interested).

'97 response (closed bow) I know everyone says there the same but as soon as you long line the boats you quickly realize that there was a difference between the closed bow and the LX (playpen) boats. Probably best wake with no SSP long line hands down. Problem will be when you start to advance that you won't have enough power to run all day at 44-45 mph unless you are 150 lbs and don't need the speed and only have a driver in the boat.

'98 the hull went to cut diamond so they where okay usually need a SSP to max out the wake shape.

'99 same hull as '98 but they added a rear trunk and this changed center of gravity along with the wake charateristics. With SSP works good.

I ski most of my sets with an '02 response (closed bow) barefoot edition (365 hp hammer head, & SSP those are the main differences) this is a great boat. Wakes are really good. Barefoot central has a great review of it here: Malibu Barefoot Response Review

Sportster is unreal too and you don't need a SSP to ski them long line even for doing wakes. Again you will run into power issues. I know a guy with a 400 hp hammer head in one and that's all he does is foot. Super nice rig.

Here is the best advice I can give you for a barefoot rig. You have to decide if you are just a weekend warrior or if you are going to potential take things more seriously. If you think you might start working toward some more advanced tricks etc. I would make sure to get a malibu with a big motor. ie echlon with 454 or Response with hammer head (they increase in hp over the years. 365, 375, 385, 400 all are sufficient) no matter what they tell you by the time you add 3-4 people, gear and a skier with out it it is tough to hold 43+ mph at less the WOT. Which running all day at WOT will probably cause a motor failure rather quickly.

Try them long line if you can.

Hope this helps. Looks like most of the info in this thread is pretty bang on.

Happy footing

• Like 1

There is a guy on our lake with a 2011 response LX with the 8.1 .... its a barefoot machine. I think I have a few pics somewhere...the motor box is huge.

Quick thought on best malibu for footing (Aside from Flightcraft. I know where one is available if you are interested).

'97 response (closed bow) I know everyone says there the same but as soon as you long line the boats you quickly realize that there was a difference between the closed bow and the LX (playpen) boats. Probably best wake with no SSP long line hands down. Problem will be when you start to advance that you won't have enough power to run all day at 44-45 mph unless you are 150 lbs and don't need the speed and only have a driver in the boat.

'98 the hull went to cut diamond so they where okay usually need a SSP to max out the wake shape.

'99 same hull as '98 but they added a rear trunk and this changed center of gravity along with the wake charateristics. With SSP works good.

I ski most of my sets with an '02 response (closed bow) barefoot edition (365 hp hammer head, & SSP those are the main differences) this is a great boat. Wakes are really good. Barefoot central has a great review of it here: Malibu Barefoot Response Review

Sportster is unreal too and you don't need a SSP to ski them long line even for doing wakes. Again you will run into power issues. I know a guy with a 400 hp hammer head in one and that's all he does is foot. Super nice rig.

Here is the best advice I can give you for a barefoot rig. You have to decide if you are just a weekend warrior or if you are going to potential take things more seriously. If you think you might start working toward some more advanced tricks etc. I would make sure to get a malibu with a big motor. ie echlon with 454 or Response with hammer head (they increase in hp over the years. 365, 375, 385, 400 all are sufficient) no matter what they tell you by the time you add 3-4 people, gear and a skier with out it it is tough to hold 43+ mph at less the WOT. Which running all day at WOT will probably cause a motor failure rather quickly.

Try them long line if you can.

Hope this helps. Looks like most of the info in this thread is pretty bang on.

Happy footing

What is SSP?