Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plastic tray under seat above tranny

isellacuras

That cheap little plastic tray under the back center seat cushion cracked all the way around the top where it flanges out. Is there another option to just replacing it with the same type of chinsey tray? I use that tray for my tsunami pumps. Not sure if one of my kids stepped in it or if the pumps were not pushed down all the way before putting the cushion back but either way, it didn't take long for it to break.

If it's the factory tray, I definitely wouldn't stand on it but wouldn't call it cheap and flimsy either. I've had mine fill up with rain water, 40lbs or so, (my cover sucks!!) and it had no problems or signs of cracking.

• Like 1

In thinking about it, I think it happened by removing the center seat and the right corner seat and then lifting the tray out without lifting the left corner seat. The pressure front the left corner seat causes it to snap at the bend. I like the clear plexi rebuild posted. I need to find out how it attaches or hangs front the area under the seat. If you use a substantial enough of a lip, the seat would not sit flush. I will read through the entire link and contact the OP if there's no mention of it. If any of you have any ideas, please share.

Nevermind!! Saw it in the second or third post of the other thread. Guess I have a tendency to just look at pictures. :Doh:

Edited by isellacuras

Wish I could remember whose boat it was on, but I saw someone's "boathouse" pic that had one they had done out of thin sheet metal, like what is used for ductwork. Nice and light, but durable.

I figured for the money I could build something better myself. To some, the Malibu tray is good enough, but can it take a bullet? HAHAHA! I got the material from Piedmont Plastics. Check for one by you.

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/locations.aspx

I will be using TAP plastics as they are my local plastics shop. They carry all the materials needed and are very good with advice and custom cuts. Looks pretty simple. Only thing I'm not quite sure of is the piece that mounts under the tray to keep it from falling down inside. I haven't looked down in there because the boat I in storage. I will keep with a simple design, very similar to yours.

Have your dealer replace it. You have a 2012 and it should be a warranty item. Mine had a crack around the lip (no idea how it got there) and they replaced it no questions asked. I didn't even notice the crack, the service manager saw it and said "we need to get this replaced" and it was done.