Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to get inverted

isellacuras

Early on in the season, I committed to working hard to progress to the point of doing a flip. I have a trip coming up and I am going to go for it. What is the most natural invert to attempt first. I can ride both ways pretty well and have two 180's and w2w both ways.

Typically its a heelside backroll or a tantrum. It depends on the person.

Mine was the backroll. But if you can do a backflip with any kind of comfort then the tantrum might be better.

Don't let go of the handle though... :Doh:

Yeah, that was bad form. Like the title says though, I hadn't done one in over 4 years (we moved away for a while so my wife could get her doctorate). Hang on to that handle!

For me, tantrum. Frankly, my BS rolls always kind fo stunk because I always wanted to do them with chest to boat and the board going end over end as opposed to lead shoulder to boat and leading with heelside edge. That created some inconsistency from boat to boat. So, from my perspective, tantrum, but try whatever feels most natural.

Tantrum or backroll. I would say whichever one you can visualize better in your mind. I learned tantrum first. Could do them in my sleep. Now I can't do them anymore cause I can't visualize them. In my mind I always get twisted around so now on the water I always get twisted around to the point I don't even try them anymore. Still have my bankrolls. Guess that makes me a one trick pony!

While I gave up wakeboard a long time ago, I did land a couple of wake backrolls on a board back in the day. And now I can stick several inverts on a foil all day long. The mechanics are very similar. And the issues I ran into are similar........... handle position, spotting your landing, and initiating the flip AFTER you get the pop. Watch the Youtube videos. Do your thinking BEFORE you get behind the boat. Practice on a trampoline with a handle (I used to get a group of guys & go to a gymnastics studio for this).

It's funny, when I first started the attempts the basic backflip was all I could envision..... a tantrum on a board, or a gainer on a foil. I landed them for a few years before my elbow & shoulder started really bothering me from landing one handed so many times. Now days, I consciously only throw 2 handed tricks, wake back rolls, wake front rolls, air back rolls & air front rolls. And I concentrate on things like loading the line, progressive cut, getting in a BIG jump, THEN initiating the flip. The last couple years the wake front roll is by far the easiest (and biggest) trick in my bag. Go figure.

Good luck! And get some video so you can critique yourself.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I'm all for you nailing an invert. I'm just curious... How are your toe side jumps and 180's? I wish I had focused on those before I learned the back roll....

I have a toe side w2w, and 2 180's (switch heel side to regular toe side w2w and reg heel side to toes side fakey but not wake to wake). I suppose those are both considered frontside? By the way, if it matters, 6'4" 270, so I make a pretty good splash.

Edited by isellacuras

Very cool. You've got more base tricks than I did when I started my back roll.

I couldn't do 180 s but could clear w2w both sides. Learned to do heel side 180 many years after learning tantrum and back roll. So you don't necessarily need to learn 180s first.

I couldn't do 180 s but could clear w2w both sides. Learned to do heel side 180 many years after learning tantrum and back roll. So you don't necessarily need to learn 180s first.

Oh dude, I agree. I just think, and this is just my view, I wish I had put more time into basic more non invert tricks before I started smashing myself doing back rolls. I think I would have picked it up quicker if I followed a different progression.

If you try the backroll, just make sure to keep the handle at your lead hip. When I was learning I kept pulling the handle to my right hip and doing a roll to revert. Pretty throwin the extra 180 in there, but not when I was learning. Tantrum was more natural for me

tried a back roll came up short and tweeked my knee. went on to tantrum witch I now own and now working on a toe front roll. If you come up short on a toe front (I have tried about 4)you just land on your butt. you need to have a solid toe side w2w before a toe front.

Been watching YouTube videos. There's a tutorial that touts "low impact" which starts you out in the flats and just gets you used to the pop needed to get the rotation and progresses from there. I am going to use this methodology to begin. I hope to get some time to practice before the trip in two weeks. I'd like to surprise my crew by going big with my first attempt. I will not be telling them I plan to throw it.

tried a back roll came up short and tweeked my knee. went on to tantrum witch I now own and now working on a toe front roll. If you come up short on a toe front (I have tried about 4)you just land on your butt. you need to have a solid toe side w2w before a toe front.

I want to try a toe side roll soon...

Great video. Notice how he's not doing a super fast cut into the wake, but working on a nice easy cut with a big POP, then doing the invert. In my book thats KEY!!