Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G25 - sheared off prop shaft!

SurfgateBob

Ya you and me both

NEWSFLASH: Ryan had a lot go wrong on his Malibu, now has a G23, loves the wake, and is much happier.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

It was the first post in this thread:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44471-i-jumped-ship-today-initial-new-boat-review-x2/#entry617801

He edited it because of some ribbing about the length of it and then some heat from other crew members about jumping ship, I think.

Oh wow. He did edit that post. I liked the long paragraphs as to why. I think that would have been a very helpful post to someone researching their purchase.

I agree with alot that has been said here, I too have noticed the change in some peoples threads and negative "tone??" toward Malibu. But I also thought Bamas review was great, and think Shawndoggy is a great example of a non Malibu owner visiting a Malibu site, and I actually forgot Jetski had a different brand ! We all know we are not suppose to discuss religion, and didn't venders get warnings about promoting their product? Is promoting and saying your "X" brand boat is better then a Malibu on a Malibu site any different? I am all for post like Bamas review thread, or Shawndoggy comparison threads he had a while back, but some of the posts seem to be getting a bit much, it seems the G is mentioned in 80% of the threads lately. I think its a great boat, and actually kind of like the look of it, but if I want to read about it in every other post I'll go visit the Nautique site.

• Like 1

I'd challenge anyone to find a thread on teamtalk where a former mastercraft owner buys a bu, heck, any other brand, writes a novel about why it is superior to mastercraft's offering, and post a link. <snip>

I'm a former MC owner & there are plenty of posts on TT that I've made about problems with their dealers, service & towers. Certainly no novels. But maybe they let the posts lie if their worded in such a way that their not offensive (might be a first for me!)? My profile even says, "Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide".

I think I've made similar comments here about boats with excessive bling or worthless features I don't see the point in having on a ski/wake boat (like Maliview).

Heck, both my MC & my Malibu were stripped so naked that other boat owners had to ask what brand they were (OK, maybe they were newb boat owners). I'm more about whats going on 80' behind the boat than in it.

All that said, I had a freind on the lake ask if I wanted to ride last night. He owns a 19' SeaRay with a tower & a nice stereo on it (but no PP or ballast). The first thing I asked was "which boat"? He said he'd ditch his boat & drive mine if thats what I'd prefer. Of course I did. :rofl:

Ya you and me both

85 - thanks but I think I can reword it better

NYryan2001 - you are an asset to this form. And about the only good thing that came out of your s***ty situation with your Malibu is that I have seen you provide some really good technical troubleshooting about the Malibu's....Don't think for a minute anyone wants you to move on or be less participative on the forum.

Again I get being pissed off about a purchase gone terribly wrong and service being less than stellar (IIRC you are currently / former military and I know that you guys move and it makes me madder than hell that any Malibu dealership would turn you down as customer needing repair)...But at this point you have to say F' it and let it go. ShawnDoggy mentioned that he had a bad experience with Malibu but never once have I seen him b**** about it or talk about the tower being flimsy or the bimini being the worst in the industry. That is the reason that I gave you some push back - I'm tired of hearing it...I work hard just like you do so that I can have a boat that I think is the best and the last thing I want to do is come on the forum dedicated to the boat I own and hear someone berate it!!!!!

Post all you want about Nautique....dose not bother me - It is phenomenal boat.

When I gave you grief about the trailer and the sheared shaft - It was directly aligned with being irritated about some comments you made about Malibu.

Moving forward - it is water under the bridge for me! Hope you feel the same way.

ShawnDoggy mentioned that he had a bad experience with Malibu but never once have I seen him b**** about it or talk about the tower being flimsy or the bimini being the worst in the industry.

I had issues with a used boat, that happened to be a malibu. It was just having some successive middle-aged growing pains that had to be worked through... nothing "malibu" per se, but just parts that were worn out etc. Mine was out of warranty so I have only ever dealt with malibu the boat, not malibu the company.

My illusion tower never gave us any problems, but from a stereo perspective I'm much happier with my current tower, which puts the tower speakers up higher and farther back in the cabin. Can't imagine 4 rev10s on a forward swept tower from ANY manufacturer. But as a newb that super cool looking illusion x tower played a big role in choosing that boat. Live and learn.

I saw a brand new sanger 237 at the lake last weekend with their new forward swept tower (which looks like the original tube illusion) and the tower speakers were no joke right above the windshield. Even the driver would get his face ripped off by those!

No one wants to answer my question. Why does Malibu have he highest share? Why did I as a newb go straight to Malibu when buying a boat?

Advertising, market penetration, production capacity, availability.

Is the toyota camry the BEST car? Cuz it's the one that sold the most times last year.

Why does McDonalds sell so many hamburgers? Because they are the best? Are the worlds best tacos found at taco bell?

As for your own personal experience, aren't you just down the road from the factory? Your market must be dripping with Malibus. When was the last time you saw a sanger or MB on your lake?

Edited by shawndoggy

No one wants to answer my question. Why does Malibu have he highest share? Why did I as a newb go straight to Malibu when buying a boat?

Well since every decides to buy boats for different reasons that's tough, but I think there is generally "some" concensus that its a blend of reputation, performance, and price. There are manufacturers who are priced better and may have similar performance, but not the reputation...or there's brands with lousy prices and performance but have a great reputation. :lol:

b/c the word Malibu and the word Sperry both have 6 letters ??? :)

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 3

Advertising, market penetration, production capacity, availability.

Is the toyota camry the BEST car? Cuz it's the one that sold the most times last year.

Why does McDonalds sell so many hamburgers? Because they are the best? Are the worlds best tacos found at taco bell?

As for your own personal experience, aren't you just down the road from the factory? Your market must be dripping with Malibus. When was the last time you saw a sanger or MB on your lake?

Toyota Camry may be the best car...I think they go 400k miles before the first oil change. We are dripping with every possible Ski Boat known to man in this area. We have 8 boat manufacturers here. Malibu, Mastercraft, Axis, Yamaha, Supra, Moomba, Sea Ray, Yamaha, Bryant, and Bullet fishing boats. I think that's an accurate list. I have seen a couple of Centurions on the lake. No Sangers or MB's yet.

Or we don't know the answer?

I know when I looked at Malibu boats the first time around (around 1999) they were too expensive & drove like a tank (the VLX). Later things changed for them & myself.

As for the Camry, my mom's Camry is a POS. You can have it. And it has a LOT less than 400k on it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well since every decides to buy boats for different reasons that's tough, but I think there is generally "some" concensus that its a blend of reputation, performance, and price. There are manufacturers who are priced better and may have similar performance, but not the reputation...or there's brands with lousy prices and performance but have a great reputation. :lol:

Great Answer Ochocinco!

Or we don't know the answer?

I know when I looked at Malibu boats the first time around (around 1999) they were too expensive & drove like a tank (the VLX). Later things changed for them & myself.

As for the Camry, my mom's Camry is a POS. You can have it. And it has a LOT less than 400k on it.

I love Toyota. You have a bad Camry? Never heard of a bad Camry. For sure my Sperrys would not look as good in a Mastercraft or Nautique like they look in a VLX.

I got to say, Malibu has a mystique about them. This has been proven to me by driving around the docks and trailering one around town. Everyone wants to have a conversation about the Malibu. Your MB is sweet. I love the clean lines. As a newb I looked at Mastercraft briefly and it seemed like more than a traditional Ski Boat. Still bad a**! With Nautique I was just confused with all the Models. G Series for sure out of reach. Buying a Malibu is the equivalent of buying a Harley. You have access to dealer, promotion, etc... Like Ochocinco said in his post.

Edited by Afun

Any of the pics or vids Ive posted have been either by request or in direct response to already posted remarks. Ive been asked 100x for feedback on the 22mph for advanced riding...def not my forte with 4 bulging disks anymore, so I linked the video to speak for itself, same with the surf pics, as we know there is a huge difference in interpretation of what big, terrific and great are. I havent started ANY of the G/CC threads, those were by your fellow Bu owners.

I have called things exactly they way I see them. I WISH someone had posted up like that prior to Jan 2011. If brutally honest cons about a Malibu make you testy, sorry about that.

Maybe hard to believe, but I have def been restrained in posts out of respect for the GOOD folks who work at Malibu and the good dealers, trust me on this, I never laid out the rest of what happened last fall, its ugly, and why I gave up and went to CC.

Any of the pics or vids Ive posted have been either by request or in direct response to already posted remarks.

Ryan, to be fair, you posted a video of Minnesota spring ride featuring a G that had nothing to do with the thread just 2 days ago when the thread had become about people's MALIBU setups. As far as I'm concerned, post what you want, but doesn't mean that other people are in the wrong if they're tired of coming to this site and having it become the web's new G review forum.

Exactly. That was the first day of it being hung on Vimeo, after 2 months of being asked about the wake. First decent real video that wasn't a Nautique produced teaser that demo'd the boat. Bad thing is it wasn't weighted properly because a bunch of camera guys jumped on with their gear last minute after they has it dialed in, plus the tube...Hence why much of it in the vid is washed out.

I have called things exactly they way I see them. I WISH someone had posted up like that prior to Jan 2011. If brutally honest cons about a Malibu make you testy, sorry about that.

And here is the big disconnect. That is one experience with YOUR ONE Malibu. But you have projected that as being a constant shortcoming across the entire Malibu line, as if all the Malibu boats were that way. Within the last week you talked about how terrible the G3 tower DESIGN was because YOUR ONE TOWER had some movement, and said the CC tower DESIGN was far superior. This is out of touch with reality, because there are literally hundreds of G3 towers out there that are 100% rock solid. And there are dozens of posts of people having problems with both MC and CC towers in the past 2-3 years, requiring special brackets to stop the problems. I haven't found another easily foldable tower yet as solid as my G3, and I have checked out MC and CC extensively. A simple adjustment by a competent dealer would have fixed your G3 problem in a matter of minutes. You had a dealer issue, not a design flaw issue.

Those sorts of posts are what I see people here having a problem with, because they are just not accurate at all. By all means share your experiences. But when you use an isolated experience to disparage an entire brand, and then promote another brand while ignoring their problems, don't be surprised when somebody waves the BS flag. My 2012 has been fantastic. No nuts falling out of the dash, tower is rock solid, not a single glitch with MTC/Maliview ever, everything just works without any problems. My dealer has been fantastic and has gone above and beyond to make sure I am 100% happy. I certainly don't blame you for going to CC. I probably would have too in your shoes. But seeing as how Malibu continues to be the industry leader year after year, I would wager most Malibu owners have experiences closer to mine rather than closer to yours.

Edited by Brett B

No, we didn't delete it. That's why I asked why he took it down. When was it posted?

I deleted it because I felt that maybe this wasn't the place to post a 20 point list of why I chose to by a MC. LOL!

I understand that people get passionate about their brand of boat and I didn't want to upset anyone. I kind of like you folks and didn't want to offend anyone.

I still like Malibu and may buy another one in the future. (Wink wink)...

Edited by bamabonners

I deleted it because I felt that maybe this wasn't the place to post a 20 point list of why I chose to by a MC. LOL!

I understand that people get passionate about their brand of boat and I didn't want to upset anyone. I kind of like you folks and didn't want to offend anyone.

I still like Malibu and may buy another one in the future. (Wink wink)...

I would like to surf behind your X2. I would also like to visit Huntsville one day. I almost moved there.

• Like 1

And here is the big disconnect. That is one experience with YOUR ONE Malibu. But you have projected that as being a constant shortcoming across the entire Malibu line, as if all the Malibu boats were that way. Within the last week you talked about how terrible the G3 tower DESIGN was because YOUR ONE TOWER had some movement, and said the CC tower DESIGN was far superior. This is out of touch with reality, because there are literally hundreds of G3 towers out there that are 100% rock solid. And there are dozens of posts of people having problems with both MC and CC towers in the past 2-3 years, requiring special brackets to stop the problems. I haven't found another easily foldable tower yet as solid as my G3, and I have checked out MC and CC extensively.

Those sorts of posts are what I see people here having a problem with, because they are just not accurate at all.

Brett- I'll give you an opportunity to go back and read what I wrote about the G3 and edit your own comments before I help you with that.

I never said it was a terrible tower, I said it was a terrific tower. I never had an issue with mine, worked exactly as designed.

pros: design, looks and racks

Cons: Bimini, folding and rattling either from Bimini movement and/or tower movement on a choppy day or when crossing rollers

I am in a different position than you. I put 160hrs on a G3 tower and now 70hrs on the CC FC tower. Nothing to gain here, straight honest feedback.

I'll bring a different perspective to this. I own an I/O and will be trading for an inboard crossover boat. Probably at the January boat show. I use these forums to research different brands and even dealers. For example, a local dealer has been mentioned by name on different brand forums as being an excellent dealer. That means I will certainly check them out when I'm ready. I like reading reviews that tell why the user switched without bashing the former brand. It helps me understand what possible problems or features that users liked or hated. I also understand that these are personal opinions but if they trend one way or another it's hard to ignore.