Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G25 - sheared off prop shaft!

SurfgateBob

Back to the broken prop shaft, what about the transmissions? The weight of the G23/25 has to be delivering a beating on the transmissions. If you build a muscle car with 550hp, you dont run a stock trans or rear end because they will get destroyed. Time will tell, but I cant imagine not having any transmission failures in these heavy, high horsepower boats. Maybe Nautique is beefing up there transmissions for the G series?

• Like 1

Rule #1 of Teamtalk's TOU:

1. No Disparaging MC or its Partners. No Promoting Other Boat Brands. We have some registered users that own competition ski boats that are not MCs. Is there something wrong with them? Maybe. wink.gif But they are welcome to post here and we're welcome to pick on them (all in good fun). What's not okay is for them to post pictures of their boat on here or otherwise talk about how great it is, recommend other people buy it, or say that it's better than a MC. I'm not saying I agree with this policy. But that's the policy, and if you want to post here, you need to abide by it. Also, it's not as if you can't talk about other boats at all. But if you do, don't be surprised if you get an email from a mod about it. It's a very fine line to be walked. There are other nonbrand-specific sites out there where you can compare and contrast all you want. But I don't know of any site that has as much activity as this one does.

As for "no disparaging MC," if you're disappointed about something, you can talk about it. Just don't go on the attack. They're not paying for this site so that people can bad mouth them. It's frustrating to have boat issues. The same goes for MC's partners and suppliers. But the people on this site can help. As set forth above, offending posts may be edited or deleted with or without notice.

It's a PR issue. Did Mastercraft go through some recent issues with motor problems prior to bringing on Ilmor? Was the issue bad enough to hurt sales? Maybe that's why they control social media. Bad Newd travels fast. I want to see them do well just like Malibu. They both contribute to the economy here in Knoxville.

It's a PR issue. Did Mastercraft go through some recent issues with motor problems prior to bringing on Ilmor? Was the issue bad enough to hurt sales? Maybe that's why they control social media. Bad Newd travels fast. I want to see them do well just like Malibu. They both contribute to the economy here in Knoxville.

It's been teamtalk's policy for years. Mastercraft owns the site. Has nothing to do with ILMOR. You're flat out prohibited from posting a picture of another brand or recommend one.

They are pretty much ALL fiberglass bathtubs running standard props, shafts, rudders, tracking fins, etc., with GM powerplants (mastercraft / ilmor being the exception on the powerplant). Even the surfgate gizmos aren't MADE by malibu... they are lenco actuators with a lenco-sourced proprietary controller.

For the most part the difference between a camaro and a mustang is far greater than the difference between a moomba and a malibu (or a malibu and a mastercraft).

The three things each manufacturer have that are unique:

1. hull and resulting wake shape

2. fit / finish / gizmos

3. warranty

(with a 3.5 of the local dealer experience).

My under $55k new boat came with the exact same PCM drivetrain as a significantly more expensive nautique or tige or centurion. And a $75k bu comes with the exact same Indmar drivetrain as a moomba, supra, (now) MB, sanger (if you choose) etc etc.

All that said I love me some malibu, and if when I had the money burning a whole in my pocket (exactly two years ago) there had been a viable 23' bu candidate that met my needs (freeboard, great surf wake, good wakeboard wake) near my $50k line in the sand, even a used one, I would've given it a long long look. But back then even an 08 LSV was commanding high 50s (and likely still can in some markets).

When the kids are out of the house, if I'm still able to assemble a reliable old timer's crew, it wouldn't surprise me if a surfgate equipped vlx were in my future. Meh, then again maybe not. The current rig is more than I'll ever need, and there's college and weddings and retirement to pay for.

Totally agree, and the boat does not make someone a better wakeboarder, most skilled riders can perform many of the tricks behind any wakeboard boat... and lets face it, 95% of the people who own a vdrive cant ride at a level to take advantage of any wakeboard wake.

Was that you on BB last Wednesday? we were up for a day trip, saw an MB back there... it looked like your boat... had my brother and nephew in town, finally got them up on a wakeboard!

Back to the broken prop shaft, what about the transmissions? The weight of the G23/25 has to be delivering a beating on the transmissions. If you build a muscle car with 550hp, you dont run a stock trans or rear end because they will get destroyed. Time will tell, but I cant imagine not having any transmission failures in these heavy, high horsepower boats. Maybe Nautique is beefing up there transmissions for the G series?

They will figure it out....offshore racing boat have been dealing with this for years.

Totally agree, and the boat does not make someone a better wakeboarder, most skilled riders can perform many of the tricks behind any wakeboard boat... and lets face it, 95% of the people who own a vdrive cant ride at a level to take advantage of any wakeboard wake.

Was that you on BB last Wednesday? we were up for a day trip, saw an MB back there... it looked like your boat... had my brother and nephew in town, finally got them up on a wakeboard!

Yes! I thought that might be you! I wear contacts on the boat and I swear I can't see half the time tho, especially with the handle in my hand. Honk and wave next time... I always wave back.

I'd challenge anyone to find a thread on teamtalk where a former mastercraft owner buys a bu, heck, any other brand, writes a novel about why it is superior to mastercraft's offering, and post a link. Furthermore, I dare anyone to find a posted video of an MXZ in action. I will change my signature to whatever the winner wants for a week...If bama finds just one, I will gladly give a big "Roll Tide!"

As to what tim said, this isn't about a review of another boat, everyone enjoys those. What I perceive gets "some" a little bothered is that people use this board as a Malibu bashing board and a billboard for their new boat. You just don't see that on the others....and you used to never see it here.

Perhaps I have missed some of the posts, but I cant remember anyone bashing Malibu. Sure, they have listed reasons why they switched brands but have always included the disclaimer that they still love Malibu boats but were looking for added/different features. It would really be a bummer if this forum turned into a fan boy club. I just can't understand why people get butt hurt over someone pointing what they do or dont like about a particular brand.

• Like 2

Perhaps I have missed some of the posts, but I cant remember anyone bashing Malibu. Sure, they have listed reasons why they switched brands but have always included the disclaimer that they still love Malibu boats but were looking for added/different features. It would really be a bummer if this forum turned into a fan boy club. I just can't understand why people get butt hurt over someone pointing what they do or dont like about a particular brand.

I agree with wanting to see the little differences they see in the boats and why they switched. Still upset that bama took down his in-depth review of his new boat. Would be a shame to have to go to WW or something to hear that kind of thing like Chattwake does every season. I like seeing that stuff.

I have seen it. I am all for having different boat owners voicing there opinion to potential bu owns but I am with 85 that at times its annoying when someone comes and asks about Malibu boat Y and someone chimes in completely unprovoked that competitors boat would/could be a better option. It's one thing when you are someone says "looking for a wakeboard boat?" but it's another thing when someone says "should I buy this Malibu WXYZ"

Maybe I'm a fan boy, maybe I just am proud of the boat/brand I use ( :innocent:), but I do feel if there is no invitation to other brands in a convo than don't go planting your seed. I do very much enjoy reading about other boats as I have such little exposure to them living where I live. Also when it does come time to get a new boat, I will certainly be visiting many competitors to see whats available.

• Like 1

I think I've been pretty objective about why I switched and have been very forthcoming about my boats shortcomings (though probably More on wakeworld than here). Primarily I figure this is TMC so discuss 'bus unless specifically asked about something else.

I think I've been pretty objective about why I switched and have been very forthcoming about my boats shortcomings (though probably More on wakeworld than here). Primarily I figure this is TMC so discuss 'bus unless specifically asked about something else.

I think you have too. I don't see what 85 & Nicky & are talking about happen very often, but I will agree that it happens more often of late than it used to.

Why did bama take down his review thread?

I think you have too. I don't see what 85 & Nicky & are talking about happen very often, but I will agree that it happens more often of late than it used to.

Why did bama take down his review thread?

I would say at latest within the last month was when I first started looking at posts a bit :crazy: .

I also thought bamas thread was great, (on a side note how do you delete threads, I made a duplicate and changed the title to "delete" because I couldn't figure it out myself.)

I'd have to look into that Nick. I do know that members can delete their own threads, but I'm not sure what it looks like for you (it changes every time we upgrade, seems).

Maybe you're just more of a Bu fanboy now & it makes you take notice? ;)

I'd have to look into that Nick. I do know that members can delete their own threads, but I'm not sure what it looks like for you (it changes every time we upgrade, seems).

Maybe you're just more of a Bu fanboy now & it makes you take notice? ;)

I could definitely use a TMC intervention!

Totally. And you're not in anyone's face about it or bring it up at every opportunity. In fact, other than your info, no one would even know it. I think you're a model example of an asset to the forum with another brand.

LOL and I had a 'bu that happened to break a lot so I've got a lot of troubleshooting experience.

It's a Forum!! Grind em if you got em. As long as it does not digress into name calling, I say bring it on!

I mean, come on, we have discussions about school shootings on here, surely we can agrue about brand value without having to shame people into not to posting because they no longer have a Malibu.

Bama, put your review back up!

It's a Forum!! Grind em if you got em. As long as it does not digress into name calling, I say bring it on!

I mean, come on, we have discussions about school shootings on here, surely we can agrue about brand value without having to shame people into not to posting because they no longer have a Malibu.

Bama, put your review back up!

Was it deleted?