Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G25 - sheared off prop shaft!

SurfgateBob

Wow. This was on my dealer's lot. Apparently it belongs to the Nautique rep. It's a beautiful new Nautique G25. Apparently he had full ballast, an additional 2000 pounds and 14 people in it and was surfing. That's ~6000 pounds of boat + 3000 + 2000 + 2000 pounds of people = 13,000 pounds.

This was the result. Unbelievable.

In other news, there's a lightly used G25 available for sale :-)

9397736848_c544ab33a3_o.jpg

Not the first time we have seen this little problem. I hate to be surfing at 3500 rpm when that decides to come lose. You would think that the engineers of a 140,000 boat would realize that when you build the heaviest and biggest wake boat on the market then you might want to consider upgrading parts of the drive train.

JD power my a**!!

Years ago, the boat companies upgraded the drive shaft from a 1" dia to 1 1/8" (a nearly 25% increase in surface area)....looks like 1 1/4" might be the next upgrade!!

Wonder if the shaft was made in China??

I saw one a few years back that sheared off and made a big nasty hole in the bottom of the boat.

Edited by happypappy

Years ago, the boat companies upgraded the drive shaft from a 1" dia to 1 1/8" (a nearly 25% increase in surface area)....looks like 1 1/4" might be the next upgrade!!

Wonder if the shaft was made in China??

I saw one a few years back that sheared off and made a big nasty hole in the bottom of the boat.

I'm sure the innovators at Malibu will answer the call and lead the way... Im going to go ahead and throw it out there...ShaftGate

I'm still scratching my head as to why they put a 6k dry weight boat on a pair of 3500lb axels.

They are selling the trailer to makeup the repairs!

^^ more utter nonsense we have come to expect from you. Call boatmate and educate yourself. That boat is 8-9k on the trailer, ask them what the trailer is rated for.

That same pic of that prop shaft TX boat has been respun 100s of times, like 85's version of all the trannys blowing everywhere.

Edited by nyryan2001

Side note that trailer bunk carpeting didn't last very long either. Looks like a fantastic wrap job. Wonder who made that?

The Nautiques are on the same brand as the Malibu line. Both made by Boatmate.

Side note that trailer bunk carpeting didn't last very long either. Looks like a fantastic wrap job. Wonder who made that?

I also saw that quite quickly. Saw the shaft, saw the torn up bunk. Wow.

I don't remember ever saying trannys were blowing "everywhere" though I may have said months ago there were reports of some trannys going, sure. Wasn't inaccurate by the way.

They have since put a sleeve as I understand just past where it passes thru the prop strut as a recall and since no more of them have sheered off like that. But yes by all means that is wild. Put a 550 in a 24MXZ loaded to the hilt and you are in the same ballpark with extreme forces.

I tour the CC factory next week, I will ask how many have sheered off.

Happens to all of them. Bolts fall out under the dash of malibus and Gs sheer propshafts. It's something that everyone should recognize and just roll with it.

In '04 on my maiden voyage (Feb... by myself..) I had a brake caliper on my Extreme come loose and lock up a rear tire, severely flatspotting it. I could not remove the caliper so I removed the wheel and limped home with 3.

Great day on the water though. Me, my new Bu and the stereo...

How about those stainless steel CVP props 'bu shipped with that self destructed.... :cry:

DSC01814.JPG

Edited by CTSunsetter

Speaking of props, when I was on the phone with Acme a few weeks ago, they mentioned a 17" prop coming soon for the larger boats.... G23/25 was mentioned because of the extreme weight of the boat.

^^ more utter nonsense we have come to expect from you. Call boatmate and educate yourself. That boat is 8-9k on the trailer, ask them what the trailer is rated for.

That same pic of that prop shaft TX boat has been respun 100s of times, like 85's version of all the trannys blowing everywhere.

Ryan -, that is not a Boatmate trailer as you can see from the hollow rectangular tubing used around the prop guard versus the solid plate steel that boat mate uses around the prop guard.

Help me understand this: You spent the past 3 years bashing malibu / your malibu boat / multiple dealers b/c you clearly had a bad experience...I get that. But you no longer own a Malibu but still come on this forum and talk about G3 towers that move 2 inches, etc...etc.. and take other little shots at Malibu Boats but you get all upset when we take a little shot at a Nautique.

So maybe we should agree to no longer talk trash about either boat or learn to take things with a grain of salt and not make personal attacks stating that we need to go and educate ourselves.

Edited by Murphy8166

Speaking of props, when I was on the phone with Acme a few weeks ago, they mentioned a 17" prop coming soon for the larger boats.... G23/25 was mentioned because of the extreme weight of the boat.

I wonder what the effect on going to a 17" prop will have on the transmission of the boat, if it does effect it.