Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inland surfer swallow V2 repair

isellacuras

I need some help with advice for a repair on my brand new inland surfer swallow. A have done fiberglass repair on surfboards in the past but apparently there is something different about the epoxy resin and something about the core of the board that make it different than your typical Fiberglas repair. Anyone familiar with epoxy resin repairs? Board was in the bow and after hitting some rollers, board took flight, stood up on end and came crashing down on the corner of the windshield. No one was hurt and boat came through ok. Board, not so lucky. Put a hole in it about the size of a nickel. Tried to download a pic but can't do it from my phone.

Edited by isellacuras

Have you thought about calling the folks at inland to see what they recommend? They may be able to

give you some repair advice. Sorry about the snafu....seems like my kind of luck, lol.

When you do repair it, please post up the process and what you use to do it. I have a IS Blue Lake that has a nick on it that I need to repair soon, I have just not been wanting to do it since it does not affect the performance of the board.

Have you thought about calling the folks at inland to see what they recommend? They may be able to

give you some repair advice. Sorry about the snafu....seems like my kind of luck, lol.

After no response here, that's exactly what I did.

They were very helpful. They sent me a link to a product called "Goop" which is a two part marine epoxy and is carried by TAP platics for $13. Pretty simple repair. I first sanded lightly around the ding with 180 grit paper to roughen up the surface and removed the loose material inside the ding. Mixed the epoxy in the provided cups and pressed into the ding. I kept it as smooth as I could. Sets in 5 min, totally cures in 20 min. Once dry I stage sanded. First with the 180 just on the raised area, followed by 600, 1200 and 2500 (6, 12 and 25 were all wet sanded). After that I ran a buffer over it with some car polish. Good as new other than the different color. I have yet to use it but it feels uniform with the rest of the board. Looks great too. I'm not real computer savvy so I have a hard time with photobucket but I did take before and after pictures. Sorry, no step by step.

^^^ can prolly get away with 1200 as the last stage. I had it so I used it. My advice is don't sand to large of an area with the 180. I went too large and ended up have much more blending to do. Plus I'm sure I took away more original material than I needed to.

After no response here, that's exactly what I did.

They were very helpful. They sent me a link to a product called "Goop" which is a two part marine epoxy and is carried by TAP platics for $13. Pretty simple repair. I first sanded lightly around the ding with 180 grit paper to roughen up the surface and removed the loose material inside the ding. Mixed the epoxy in the provided cups and pressed into the ding. I kept it as smooth as I could. Sets in 5 min, totally cures in 20 min. Once dry I stage sanded. First with the 180 just on the raised area, followed by 600, 1200 and 2500 (6, 12 and 25 were all wet sanded). After that I ran a buffer over it with some car polish. Good as new other than the different color. I have yet to use it but it feels uniform with the rest of the board. Looks great too. I'm not real computer savvy so I have a hard time with photobucket but I did take before and after pictures. Sorry, no step by step.

Cool! I am glad you got the info and shared it with us....sure I will need it one day...

Sorry I didn't see this - I've done quite a bit of epoxy repair. Sounds like you got it sorted out. For small repairs, any type of epoxy-based stick works (marine-tex I believe was the original). If you have a larger repair, broken nose, large crack, ding on rail, it gets more complicated.

The most important thing to remember though is that Epoxy and Polyester are two very different kinds of fiberglass, and use different materials as part of construction. Most importantly - Epoxy-based boards use a different type of foam core than Polyester. If you use Polyester-based resin to fix an Epoxy board it will literally dissolve the foam core. Not a good thing...

As long as you are using Epoxy-based resin products then the fiberglass repair is pretty much like you would be used to on any type of fiberglass product. Different repairs might require cloth, filler, etc. Best trick in the book though is use simple packing tape over the repair once all laid out pulled tight to smooth it out, force the epoxy into all the areas. There are a bunch of videos on youtube for surfboard ding repair - basically the same thing. It is actually pretty easy and rewarding work - given how mechanical most people on this forum are, I'm guessing 99% of folks here could pull off most repairs like a pro first time around.